This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June TW Cover

Joe Parson's '58 Golden Hawk on the cover of this month's TW is absolutely stunning []. I have never seen one this color combination before...Shadowtone Red and Jewel Beige and it is gorgeous
    [8D]. Just to see this picture was worth this year's SDC membership dues [^].

We lesser beings can only drool.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Makes you wonder why when potenial buyers in late 57 n 58 bought a gm of ford. This by far was better looking than any of the competition.

Comment

Makes you wonder why when potenial buyers in late 57 n 58 bought a gm of ford. This by far was better looking than any of the competition.

Stude Freak is right and that's the first thing I thought of too looking at the beautiful cover shot. What a great color combination. Should have sold tens of thousands! Yet another great cover from Turning Wheels and an outstanding printing job from Good Printers.

Studedude1961
        --1963 Cruiser

Comment

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Makes you wonder why when potenial buyers in late 57 n 58 bought a gm of ford. This by far was better looking than any of the competition."

This is a question I think all Studebaker lovers have asked themselves many times.
          I look at 55-57 Chevys at car shows,rows of them,see the outrages money they bring,and I just don't get it.

Comment

No different with Avanti's and Corvette's. The Corvette was massed produced in comparison with the Avanti and despite its greater numbers they on average command a much higher price than any Avanti.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

1946 M-16 fire truck
            1948 M-16 grain truck
            1949 2R16A grain truck
            1949 2R17A fire truck
            1955 E-38 grain truck
            1957 3E-40 flatbed
            1961 6E-28 grain truck
            1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
            1962 Champ pickup
            1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
            1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
            1964 Cruiser
            And various other "treasures"

Comment

I showed the cover to my wife. She didn't like the colors. She also pointed out she'd never heard of a Jewel that was beige, so why call it Jewel Beige? I like it, though.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Is that the car that had an oil pressure issue at Charlotte? I remember looking at that car, it was absolutely gorgeous. I agree with the comments re: contemporary Ch*vies, etc. it is so gratifying (in a weird sort of way) when non-car-loving friends see a really, really nicely done shoebox - in far nicer condition than my car - and say something like "that's really nice, but I think your car is better looking" <G>

Now I do think any pre-68 Corvette is a great looking car, but given the price difference between a 'vette and an Avanti, in my mind the choice is a no brainer

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                62 Daytona hardtop
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Oh Goodie! Chevy-slam time![}]

No, really.... Trying to be as unbiased as possible - the 55-6-7 Chevies really had NOTHING over a Stude of the same year..... except price[8] And whether you like it or not, price dominates the bottom line (with a few exceptions, of course).

Heh - Studebaker knew this or they wouldn't have bothered with the Scotsman series for 57 & 58. And those stripped, basic transport models were a modest success. Alas, I'd bet (I confess, I haven't done any reasearch on it) that the closest comprable Chevy (or Ford) model would have been just a tad nicer in appointments.

The Hawks were really high end models. They were the draw to get buyers in the door with the hopes that they'd AT LEAST leave with a "bread & butter" sedan when they left. If they sold a Hawk - fine. But it wasn't important so long as the SOLD A CAR.

The factory wanted to economize and quit building Hawks altogether by 59 or 60 - the dealers wouldn't HEAR of that! They felt the Hawks had real value even if they didn't sell well.

Here's an honest question. Educate me.... why aren't 55-6-7-8-9-etc. Fords as abundant as Chevies of those same years? Why is it an absolute astonishment to see a Mopar car of that era as well?
                  There's a little town near here where a pretty, yellow & white 56 Ford sedan sits along the curb alot. It's actually refreshing to see something other than the omni-present Bel-Air on the streets.[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Oh Goodie! Chevy-slam time![}]

Here's an honest question. Educate me.... why aren't 55-6-7-8-9-etc. Fords as abundant as Chevies of those same years? .[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    If my memory is correct (I can't get to my books now...I'm at work...don't tell the boss) in 57 Ford actually outsold the vaunted 57 Chevy!
                    Why are they rare now? Rust. Same goes for the Exner (sp?) designed Mopars of the era.

For some reason, the public fell in love with the Chevy and made it a real 50s icon right up there with the 55-57 T-bird and the 59 Caddy. To me the Mopars, Fords and Studes have really been overlooked by "car guys" and the general public as well. As a kid my dad had a 59 Caddy and later a 57 Ford two door wagon with the T-Bird engine..(so said the air cleaner decal) great cars.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Although I would acknowledge that the mid-50s Chevies were nice cars, I don't understand their over inflated values or prices that they get.
                      the Fords of the same vintage, I feel, are much better looking and the Studes of that time were even better looking.
                      I think that there's a feeling among most people that they want to be part of the front-runners. Since Chevy was the top seller, many people got onto that band wagon.
                      To me Studebaker owners have always been independent thinkers, much like Packard, Nash, etc owners. They don't go along with the crowd.
                      My 2 cents.
                      Rog
                      '59 Lark Regal Hardtop
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Wanna talk inflated values? Look at what the 1957 era corvettes are going for now! 85K-125K is now common. My dad has one. Is it neat? Yeah. Is it pretty? Yeah. Is it a nice car to ride in? Ummmm, well...get back to me on that.
                        Is it really that nice a car for the money? No, No, No.
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

WOW, I envy your Dad... I wish I had his Corvette...

Because then I could sell it and use all that money to buy a whole BUNCH of nice Studes!!! [8D]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Comment

Did you all notice that the car has optional 15 inch wheels?

Gary L.
                            1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                            1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Um, some of you may not agree with me, but this Hawk would be an EXCELLENT starting point for a street rod, since it is in such good, solid condition. Gentleman's chop(6"), shaved door handles & all stainless removed and bumpers powdercoated.. Late Vette running gear, 20" chrome/gold wheels & slammed to the ground. Leather BMW seats with cruise, air and tilt. Let us not forget the killer steeereo system. What could I get for all the take-off parts on EBAY? It's a free country, isn't it? Just kidding, just kidding, just kidding, just kidding.[:0]

Comment

Working...
                              X