This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Engines on a B-17

The EAA (Experimental Aircraft Assoc.) B-17G "Aluminum Overcast" came to town today for weekend rides, so I checked it out on my lunch hour.

Thought you'd be interested to know the engines on the right wing (nos 3&4) were Studebaker-built.
    The left engines were the standard Wright-built units.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

A few years ago, at an airshow on Long Island, a B-17 with "Memphis Belle" painted on its side was there. There was a step ladder under one of the engines. I asked if I could climb the ladder to look at the engine and voila, it was built by good ol' Studebaker. People around me thought I was a little nuts when I yelled out, "sunofagun, it's a Studebaker. I then explained Studebaker's connection to the B-17 and it didn't sound so crazy after all.
    I guess we're all a little nuts to be in this great hobby.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Glad to see they fixed it up after the landing gear accident last year...
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

The EAA (Experimental Aircraft Assoc.) B-17G "Aluminum Overcast" came to town today for weekend rides, so I checked it out on my lunch hour.

Thought you'd be interested to know the engines on the right wing (nos 3&4) were Studebaker-built.
      The left engines were the standard Wright-built units.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It's easy to tell they're Studebaker engines by the amount of oil left under the wing.[)]
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Glad to see they fixed it up after the landing gear accident last year...
          Actually the accident was May of 2004 (how time flys when you're haveing fun ). My (then) home airport (Watsonville, CA..WVI) was the next stop on it's tour. I was all set to get a picture of S2D under the wing (right wing, of course [^])

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

A few years back the Keystone Region attended the Reading Airshow in Reading, Pa. There were two B-17s there. One of them had two Stude built engines, the other was all W/C.

It was pretty impressive to see-and hear-two of them flying side by side.

Can you imagine living in Berlin in 1945 and seeing a thousand of those overhead?[:0]
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

It's easy to tell they're Studebaker engines by the amount of oil left under the wing.[)]
              Actually, today there was a lot of oil coming from the #1...a Wright!
              I did note the oil tank in each nacelle...34.5 gallons for each engine.

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The immaculate DC-3 owned by Delta Airlines has one Studebaker engine on it. Too bad though they wanted both engines to match so they replaced the data plate. I wish I knew what happened to the Studebaker data plate.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0353715/L/

Comment

Hi

I attend the annual Geneseo Air Show (NY), always noting the Studebaker built radials and the Packard built Rolls-Royce Merlins V-2's. It is a delight to hear and see them run and impressively power those aircrafts.

There is also a ironic sadness to know that both companies that contributed so much to the war effort are defunct today.

Regards
                  Steve

Comment

ALL of the American auto industry did their part for WWII. They protected the country that they thrived in. Most of them are defunct now. So are most of the prime contractors that built the planes and other war items.[V]
                    There's been a great, ongoing series in Hemmings Classic Cars about the auto industry's contributions to the war effort in WWII.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                      [ There's been a great, ongoing series in Hemmings Classic Cars about the auto industry's contributions to the war effort in WWII.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS
                      Just don't believe everything they've said about aircraft...there are a lot of errors in the stories.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

A couple years ago there was a B17 at the Vandenberg Air Show, and I
                        asked the guy at the plane if it had Studebaker engines, he looked at
                        me like I was nuts .. then we looked, and sure enough the first engine
                        on the right wing WAS a Studebaker. I took a picture of the ID plate.
                        I need to find it.

Tom

1963 Studebaker Avanti, 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                        X