This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shipping fenders

I am looking into shipping some CK fenders from the west coast to the east coast. What are the preferred shipping methods for you that have had to ship long distance ?

If I can, I ship via Grayhound.

Comment

I shipped a Buick fender to Australia and I made an open pallet with a 1/4" plywood floor that I bolted the fender to in order to give it some protection without making the weight too high. I had to ship it by truck to Oakland and that can be expensive. I think it cost $250.00 but it's been awhile ago so I might be wrong.

1961 Lark

Comment

It CAN go Greyhound IF it meets their measurement parameters. And it has to be carted TO a Greyhound station and picked up therefrom. I've used them a couple of times with satisfactory results, but it wasn't with a big piece of sheet metal.
        I did ship a pair of rear leaf springs to a fellow forum member and it worked out good. Was one hell of a bunch cheaper than UPS or FedEx would've been.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr Biggs, this is 2 K rear fenders and 2 front fenders total weight of 200 lbs without any packing.

Comment

In addition to Greyhound you may be able to find a Less Than Load (LTL) carrier that can help. You will probably need to put them on a pallet, but the carrier should be able to shrink wrap the whole thing for you.

A word of caution, be sure you know how much it weighs when you ship. I once sold a 4 in 1 bucket off a front end loader on e-bay and shipped it from Virginia to British Columbia. Checked with about a dozen carriers and went with the cheapest. Problem was I estimated the weight and it ended up being 1000 pounds heavier than expected which cost an additional $750. Needless to say, I ended upside down on the whole deal.

Guido

Guido

1946 M-16 fire truck
            1949 2R16A grain truck
            1949 2R17A fire truck
            1955 E-38 grain truck
            1957 3E-40 flatbed
            1961 6E-28 grain truck
            1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
            1962 Champ pickup
            1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
            1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
            1964 Cruiser
            Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

I received a fender (1961 inner/outer assembly) shipped Greyhound several years ago. No problems.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I shipped two doors and a tailgate greyhound and was very pleased with the travel time and price.

Comment

I shipped two truck fenders a couple of years age from Iowa to Pennsylvania for $65.00. I doubt you'll get that price today, but what I did was to build a crate with the fenders bolted to the bottom. Totally enclosed the crate, a big wooden box. Then I turned the crate up on one side and marked it this side up. Put a couple of 2X4's under it with construction glue for a forklift, and a couple of rope handles on the two ends. Most of the cost of shipping is handling and delivery. I took it to the trucking company myself in a pickup truck so they could load it with a forklift, and the buyer (eBay deal) picked it up at the trucking dock at his end. If they can handle it with a forklift and use a loading dock, it will really cut your cost. If they have to deliver to your house, that is a lot of the cost. If you do use a truck, be sure to ask if any discounts can be applied, often there are discounts available, but you have to ask, they won't offer.

Comment

Working...
                  X