X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studeclunker
    replied
    Axles like other parts on modern cars were manufactured by different compainies than the carriage makers. Whether this was true with Studebaker I don't know. Often the date stamped on the axle is the date of foundry, or the forging of the axle, not the vehicles assembly.
    Usually there is a tag under the seat or on the back axle. This is a stamped piece of tin that is secured with screws on the wooden axle cap or on the seat base. Most of the time they are either pried off by collecters or fall of while the vehicle is going down the road. Studebaker did use these tin tags. Without it one can't determine the age of the vehicle. It's comparable to the vin-plate on most automobile's door post. Funny, that's still a stamped tin tag.

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Sales literature usually helps to narrow down the time period. There were model changes over time and also small detail changes during a model run. If it still has the manufacturer's plate under it, it may have a patent date or serial number. You could contact the SNM with what information that you do get, including pictures.

Gary L.
    1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
    1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    I knew that the axles were stamped with the Studebaker name, but I was not aware that the year might be stamped. Once I get it home next week, I will check it out.

Guido

1946 M-16 fire truck
    1949 2R16A grain truck
    1949 2R17A fire truck
    1955 E-38 grain truck
    1957 3E-40 flatbed
    1961 6E-28 grain truck
    1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
    1962 Champ pickup
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
    1964 Cruiser

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    I know of an old buggy in a museum. The owner says that on his, you can remove the front wheel (don't know which one) and the year is stamped on the axle. His is a 1902.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
    South Georgia Chapter
    63 Daytona HT (project)
    51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
    52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars
    http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101
    And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
    And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Determining age of a Studebaker buggy

Determining age of a Studebaker buggy

I bought a Studebaker buggy several weeks ago at an auction in Kansas sight unseen. It has now met up with the M-16 that I have at Vern Ediger's and will begin the trip to Virginia on Sunday.

Does anyone know if there is a means to date the buggy, either by year or a range of years if there is not documentation from the prior owner? Any help would be appreciated.

Guido

1946 M-16 fire truck
    1949 2R16A grain truck
    1949 2R17A fire truck
    1955 E-38 grain truck
    1957 3E-40 flatbed
    1961 6E-28 grain truck
    1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck
    1962 Champ pickup
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1964 Avanti R2 4 speed
    1964 Cruiser