• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1935 Studebaker President

outdoorlifer@msn.com.

Thank you

Les

Les,

In spite of the fact that this IS a Studebaker forum, we're, for the most part, focused on the postwar era Studebakers. There's another club for the prewar Studes such as this president - The Antique Studebaker Club. They have a website of their own that offers some info and there's another old car website that has a fairly active forum attended by Stude folks. I can't remember which site that is but maybe someone else here will.

Basic mechanical parts - pistons, rings, valves, bearings (assuming it had steel-backed inserts and not babbited rods) should be relatively easy to find. The ASC's bi-monthly magazine sports a healthy classified section for more obscure items. When you get to cars of this vintage, it CAN take YEARS to track down that missing ash tray or hood ornament or such. Some folks find as much fun in the hunt for things as much as the car itself.

Is it "worth it"? ....... that's a question that you have to ask yourself, I think. Depending on how much of the required labor you do yourself, or how much you're willing to pour into it in farming out necessary work. If you're going to go at this as a "I must be able to recoup all my investment when I'm done" approach, I'd find an old Muscle Car to fix up instead of a prewar Studebaker.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Depending on the condition and body style would be a big determining factor as well. IF it has a flat head V8, that's DEFINITELY NOT original. Ford's the only one that I know of to ever have such an engine. It should be a Straight 8.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
      South Georgia Chapter
      63 Daytona HT (project)
      51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
      52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars
      http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101
      And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
      And here too: http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Comment

A 35 President is a neat car. However, even from your description, we cannot know how much work is involved in restoring it. "Cheap" cars are often cheap because the work required to get them to saleable is often much more than the value of the car, especially when all of the parts and labour are purchased.

There are many cars out there where people have "restored" them, but they are not worth the restoration costs, and the trouble and aggrevation. I beleive that it is very important for you to know the car model, its quirks, parts availability, and resale selling price in various conditions very well before you make a purchase. For many low production models, selling prices end up being limited to what a willing buyer will pay, not what is spent.

As with most cars, certain models are worth more - like convertibles.

My recommendation is: If you really like it, you plan to keep it, you are capable of restoring it, you have lots of patience, and you don't intend to flip it for a profit - BUY IT.

Paul R

Comment

Much of it's value depends on condition but the greatest factor would be the precise body model. There should be a metal tag, either on the bottom left corner of the cowl (just under the left hood side) or on the passenger side of the cowl just behind the engine.

Most of the Antique Studebaker inquiries are forumed through the AACA site:

http://forums.aaca.org/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB24

If you should buy the President, you should definitely join the Antique Studebaker Club.

www.theantiquestudebakerclub.com

If you find the body tag on the car, Richard Quinn, who does participate on this forum and also has a link through the ASC website would be an excellent resource for your question.

Hope that helps.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
          X