This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 as a daily driver?

I'm just looking for comments on how practical it would be to use a 1950 sedan as a daily driver? My current driver is a 65 commander, but I really want an earlier car :-) I have a 1950 land cruiser, but she is in sad shape, way too rusty for me to even attempt a restoration, but she has a good engine and tranny. What kind of mileage could I expect? I'm getting 20+ with the 65.

Thanks. Erik

I would suspect 20- with the LandCruiser. Is it a standard? w/OD? Automatic?

It's too rusty to restore but solid enough to be a driver?

I had one once and wish I had never gotten rid of it. Great, comfortable car.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I think that mine is too rusty to use as a driver. The floors, sills, and rockers are mostly gone. It was an oregon coast car. I believe she has a standard transmission . I've never driven the car, just bought it cause the price was too good to pass up, and figured it would be good for parts.

Comment

Floors, sills and rockers are available.

www.classicent.com
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I would think about going to a 51 V8, then you can bolt on drive train and brakes from later years if you like, and the V8 will be better in traffic. If you have to have a 50, chose the big six.
          I know I'll get flack for saying this, but I would not consider a bone stock, 50 or 51 for a daily driver around here, maybe in a rural area. Dodging 18 wheelers at 80 plus MPH every day on Rt 95 in a 55 year old car is not my idea of a good time. Maybe with a 289, Turner brakes and the rest, but not stock.
          Even driving my R2 Hawk with the windows down and a semi 5 feet off my rear bumper at 85 MPH is a white knickle deal.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
          Studebaker News Group
          http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
          64 Daytona HT
          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
          63 R2 4 speed GT Black
          63 R2 4 speed GT White
          63 GT Hawk
          63 Avanti
          62 Daytona HT
          53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

I gave up on the interstate a long time ago. I adjust my time accordingly and take the secondary highways to go anywhere that I need to. :-) I even do this in my modern vehicle, a 95 Grand Cherokee, that I use mainly in winter. the interstate scares the begeepers out of me.

Comment

Why not? It WAS a driver once. You know where you can get parts. It gets as good mileage as a new brand X.

If (and I mean IF) it doesn't work out for you after a while, you will still have memories of what it was like - the good and the bad. I'm pretty sure if you have a solid car and good mechanicals, you'll have 90% good memories. Of course those that scoff easily forget how their less than 5 year old brand X has let them down.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

There is quite a differance in my comfort level driving my LHS then I would have with a 1950 anything. A 3 hour drive to Atlantic City twice a month is a joy in newer car, and would be a chore in a 50 year old daily driver of any make. I set the cruise control to 78 MPH, the climate control at 72 degrees and pick a oldies station on my XM radio and I'm good to go.
                Having air bags, shoulder harness, 4 wheel disk and all the other safety goodies makes me feel better too. For me, driving a Studebaker is something I enjoy for a a 100-200 miles round trip on back roads, but I'm too spoiled to do it 10,000-12,000 miles a year in the trafic around here. If I lived in the boonies driving back and forth to Tractor Supply, or I was a younger then I might drive my Studebakers more.

Studebaker News Group
                64 Daytona HT
                64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                63 R2 4 speed GT Black
                63 R2 4 speed GT White
                63 GT Hawk
                63 Avanti
                62 Daytona HT
                53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

At least the 1950 car can be fixed without having access to your dealer's computer diagnostics. No oxygen sensor, no air flow sensor, no throttle position sensor, no fuel flow sensor, etc, etc, etc to worry about. As long as you have fuel & spark, it should run. And it usually gives plenty of warning (harder to start, rough running, etc). I've just driven my 1950 brand X for a couple of months as my daily driver. Sure, no air con and no cruise control, but no plastics, no electronics and no depreciation, either.
                  /H

Comment

I'm always looking for an excuse to drive the herd, but becuase I have (Taylor) insurance, it precludes me from taking them to work. Bride and I were all over Sunday in the Lark and that brake fade on hills makes my pucker string cinch. I pray a lot in traffic. Not for the car's dependability but for the knot-heads around me.

Comment

My brand X's have been pretty much trouble free, but I did break down and buy a $40.00 code reader and learned to use it when the check engine light came on the LHS. As it turned out, it was a computer fart and I just reset it. The upside of my Studebakers is that I can work on them, the down side is, I have too on occasion. My LHS has 136,000 miles on it and I just change the oil and drive it. If Studebaker would have survived, they would have been as maintanace free by now I suspect.

Studebaker News Group
                      64 Daytona HT
                      64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                      63 R2 4 speed GT Black
                      63 R2 4 speed GT White
                      63 GT Hawk
                      63 Avanti
                      62 Daytona HT
                      53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

I drive my 1961 Lark about 100 miles a week and my 1952 Buick about 50 miles a week. I have a Ford Taurus with 122,000 miles on it that never needs any work done on it, has A/C, cruise, tilt wheel, power everything and is very comfy to drive yet I pick these old things to drive. I must be nuts but I love the feeling I get by using the old cars as they were meant to be used. I never hold up traffic and my Lark will go 85 all day long with the overdrive and the Buick was known as a high speed car back in the day.

1961 Lark

Comment

You're not nuts, I applaud your driving your old cars and I recall doing the same the first 30-40 years in the hobby. Now I'm getting old and would rather have the creature comforts then the adventure most of the time. I always find a excuse to make a Studebaker run, just not for as a daily driver.

Studebaker News Group
                          64 Daytona HT
                          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                          63 R2 4 speed GT Black
                          63 R2 4 speed GT White
                          63 GT Hawk
                          63 Avanti
                          62 Daytona HT
                          53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

One of our Husker Chapter members drives his unrestored 1951 Commander all over most of the year and says he has never been let down mechanically and feels it keeps up, stops, and drives just as well if not better than his newer brand X cars. He lives in the medium-sized city of Lincoln, Nebraska. If you are planning to commute on a busy freeway or face excessive stop-and-go driving, I might think twice about driving a 1950 every day but I sure would take it to work every Friday!

Studedude1961
                            --1963 Cruiser

Comment

For about five years I drove Studebakers(and my bike) only in the salt free months.Only time the Studebaker let me down was when the gas gauge quit working and I ran her dry of fuel.Never had any problem keeping up with traffic or braking concerns either. But now that Ive experienced a new rig(first one since 1980),Im spoiled.Love the A/C,comfort,handling,trouble free,no more constantly sniffing for funky smells and listening for odd noises.
                              Also,Id never consider using my Hawk for daily driving,its just not the kind of car Id feel comftorable beating over pot holes and leaving in parking lots everyday.
                              OTOH, if Id known that my new truck had an interference type,belt driven cams,Im not sure Id have bought it. Its a 350 buck job to change the belt at 60k miles,and you had better do it because if that damn elastic ever snaps while its running your probaly looking for a new engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X