This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Cows

I found this definition on a website today quite by accident, and thought it might be an interesting conversation starter or finisher. I do not believe that this particular cow trader was a wise as he is made out to be. You might want to send your comments to the author - his webpage follows.

"Studebaker cows."
    An old but very wise east Texas cow trader enlightened me about "Studebaker cows." We were on our way to look at some cows that were for sale. He said that these were "Studebaker cows." I told him I didn't understand. He explained, "Owning them would be like owning a Studebaker car. You'll never be very proud of their looks, but you'll really enjoy their performance." For those of you who are too short in the tooth to know, Studebakers were cars that were very tough, economical and low maintenance, but certainly not very attractive or luxurious. So, the lesson was that cows could perform well and raise good calves even though they aren't very attractive. Another lesson in this saying is that pretty cows are many times a luxury and not the most economical. The old man was correct about "Studebaker cows."

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, there are more than a handful of people that can't stand the way a 57 chevy looks either.

Comment

Taste is a very individual thing. Personally, I always thought the Hawk looks very nice, with a preference for the models without fins.
      /H

Comment

And I,with a preferance for the Hawks with fins!!!

LaSalle,Il
        61Hawk
        60Lark
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

FINS ALL THE WAY !

1961 HAWK..BLACK.. 4bc,4-speed,TT

Comment

The first comment is UDDERLY ridiculous. Although Studebaker made quite a lot of bread and butter models they did make their share of classy cars. 63 Studebaker Hawk vs. 63 Chevy Impala. The Chevy is not even close let alone in the same league. My father owned one. Check out the Milestone Car Registry. Need I go on. jimmijim
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

STUDEBAKER PEACHES

Well, I don't know about Studebaker cows, but I did drive past a fruit stand yesterday on the way to Fredericksburg, TX, that said, "Studebaker Farm Peaches". Yes, it belongs to the family of an SDC member, Russell Studebaker. I think one of their cars was photographed in a Turning Wheels during the past six months or so. I would have stopped in, but we're about a month away from peach pickin' time.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon
              Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Yeah,his analogy is not really to accurate. I don't think you'll find many on here that would say a 53-54 coupe or hardtop is "unatractive"
                Same said for many models,both pre-war and post war.Who among us dosen't drool over a Coupe Express,nobody ever made a truck prettier than that.Then theres the Hawks,the love'em or hat'em Avantis,even the stubby early Larks,esp hardtops or ragtops are very attractive IMHO.
                Have you ever seen an early 30's President roadster?

Comment

I never said I agreed with the author - I just thought I'd pass along the remark.

This remark goes along with the recent Hemmings article that says that nice PHs are really ugly, but concludes with a estimated value of at least $40K for one. (and I've got one!)

Last summer, at the Crossroads Zone Meet, we had an auto historian who had dissed PHs in a past article announce one of them in a drive past. He prefaced it with the "fact" ?? that many 58s were ugly, and ugly is in the eye of the beholder. We didn't really let him off the hook. Fortunately, he was good-natured about the whole thing, and we all had a good laugh.

Paul R

Comment

Oh, and yes I would like to have an early 30's President roadster. Missed out on a nice 35 Commander Convertible.

Comment

People who are really in to Studebakers as a hobby should be kind of glad that not everyone finds them to be an attractive car, prices on most Studebakers seem to have stayed relativly affordable for the everyman, and we get the luxary of having a car that really stands out among 57 chevys and mustangs. Of course on the subject of affordability there are a few models that are exceptions, 53 hardtop, hawks, avanties,ect, but even with those you are more likely to luck on to one somewhere in a barn that the owner, not knowing what he has, will sell at a decent price. Try that with a 57 chevy. I know there are people out there who want the popularity and prices of Studebakers to go up so that they can get a good return on their investment and that is fine, who dosen't want have a nice return when they decide to sell, but I think that having a hobby car that an average person can afford is more important.

Comment

Oh, and put me down for fins too!

Comment

That's right, 5859- I really love old cars; one of the biggest attractions of Studes to me is that, with the exception of a few models, Studes are an old car you can get a decent example of for relatively low prices...

Plus, what car name is more fun to say than Studebaker?

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Comment

Working...
                          X