This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker biplane

After many times of driving through northern New Jersey on I-287, I finally stopped in at Kanter Auto Parts. They specialize in Packard parts but have a fair number of brake and suspension parts for Studebakers and many other cars. I met Fred Kanter, who is in the process of turning a '53 Packard sedan into a Batmobile-like vehicle for advertising his engine products and other parts. The latest Kanter catalog features a "Photoshopped" biplane having the nose of a '50 Studebaker - good fun! See it at http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/kanter/

Their main web site page is at http://www.kanter.com/

If you're in NJ on I-287, it's worth a stop at Exit 44. There were a bunch of other cars waiting restoration in the parking lot, including some Checkers, a '57 Pontiac, several sad Packards, and the remains of some other cars. The biggest chuckle was a late model Crown Vic with spoilers front, side, and rear, and a big induction system cut through the hood - all painted up in Yellow Cab livery. Talk about "rapid transit"!

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    www.studegarage.com

I read somewhere that Bob Bourke actually designed an airplane that looked just like that.

NOT! I was just kidding. I have never read or heard that Mr. Bourke ever designed an airplane, or a Buck Rogers spaceship, or anything other than appliances and cars and trucks.

He WAS going after an aircraft appearance for the front end of the 1950 Studebaker, but you already know that. [8D]

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Wouldn't you love to have a box full of Bob Bourke coctail napkins?
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Can we mention his name here?

www.davesplaceinc.com
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

Here you go Gary...

Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by garyash

After many times of driving through northern New Jersey on I-287, I finally stopped in at Kanter Auto Parts. They specialize in Packard parts but have a fair number of brake and suspension parts for Studebakers and many other cars. I met Fred Kanter, who is in the process of turning a '53 Packard sedan into a Batmobile-like vehicle for advertising his engine products and other parts. The latest Kanter catalog features a "Photoshopped" biplane having the nose of a '50 Studebaker - good fun! See it at http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/kanter/

Their main web site page is at http://www.kanter.com/
          If you're in NJ on I-287, it's worth a stop at Exit 44. There were a bunch of other cars waiting restoration in the parking lot, including some Checkers, a '57 Pontiac, several sad Packards, and the remains of some other cars. The biggest chuckle was a late model Crown Vic with spoilers front, side, and rear, and a big induction system cut through the hood - all painted up in Yellow Cab livery. Talk about "rapid transit"!
          Gary Ash
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The biggest chuckle was a late model Crown Vic with spoilers front, side, and rear, and a big induction system cut through the hood - all painted up in Yellow Cab livery. Talk about "rapid transit"!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Crown Vic was used in the recent movie "Taxi".
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Cute. There was a plane built in the 30s that had a front section sorta like that only it had twin propellors mounted where the Stude's headlites are.[:0] The thinking was that you had the power of twin engines and yet they were both mounted close enough to the centerline of the plane that if one quit there wasn't the usual torque problems that happen when the engines are out on the wings.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

I don't have a box full, but I do have some. Bob used to sketch on napkins at dinner. After a while, I started to try and save some.

Gary L.
                1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well, I have to admit was being naughty to make my post earlier in this thread, regarding Bob Bourke and airplanes. Now that I can see Studegary didn't "bite", I will edit my initial post to say that I was "JUST MAKING IT UP"!!!

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                  "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon
                  Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Working...
                  X