Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Index to Turning Wheels - nothing since 2000!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Index to Turning Wheels - nothing since 2000!

I was trying to locate some articles in TW that I thought I remembered, so I looked at the index on this site. It seems there hasn't been an update since about August of 2000. I'm not sure who did the previous indexes, but they are very useful. Anyone got a clue on how to get an updated index created? Who do we need to talk to?

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    www.studegarage.com

Oh, well, I can answer my own question. I pulled out the Sept. 2000 issue of TW and found the last index published there. The author was Jason Fox. He also referred to more complete indexes created by Jan Young at Precison Systems. A littel Googling and, sure enough, there do seem to be complete indexes to Turning Wheels - and a lot more - on Jan Young's web site:
    http://www.presys.biz/studebaker.htm

The indexes aren't free, but the coverage and content seem to be worth the prices. I had never seen these before. I can see why there isn't much point for TW to duplicate the work. Jan, are you here?

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    www.studegarage.com
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I was in touch with Nate today looking for help on how far back TW issues were published (for my collection) and it appears to have been about mid 1972.?

Nate referred me to TW issues Sept & October 2000 which contain an extensive and very well done index by Jason W. Fox and it looks like that was the last update, including the SDC web site..

Maybe we could encourage Mr. Fox to tackle the updates to 2005 or so??

Barry
      Barry Leppan
      Ontario, Canada
      64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
      GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Comment

I've heard of the "other" index before but this is the first time I've been given a link to that site. I've heard good things about it but obviously don't have a copy. I may go ahead and order it if nobody tells me it's not worth it... then at least maybe I can put all those TW's I've collected to work rather than just rotating handfuls of them in and out of the "reading room"

BTW for people who work on Studes a lot, another investment that's worth it is the service bulletin CD.

http://www.ncsdc.com/InternetClub/projects.htm

I saw Ray at York and at that time the service *letter* CD was "almost done" but I haven't seen an official release yet. But anyway I've had mine less than a year and already found at least two service bulletins that have helped me out quite a bit - one on an improved pin for the Saginaw PS box flange (I am using an original 55-58 parts book; it does not have the later number, so I couldn't find the pin on SASCO's web site) and another one on replacing the glass in the C-body pop-out quarter windows.

The only quibble I have with the service bulletin CD is it appears that some of the bulletins that were in better condition were scanned and OCR'd to make the text searchable/copyable which was a great idea but some of the formatting is a little wonky. The perfectionist in me wants to tweak them a little bit, as the don't look 100% like the originals when printed, but they are still readable and usable for their intended purpose - to help you fix your Studebaker.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Gary:

By all means, buy one of Jan Young's comprehensive Turning Wheels indexes. They are excellent. Rarely does a day go by that I do not use mine. [^]

[8D] Once you have bought his index, you don't have to keep buying the whole thing to stay up-to-date. At the end of each year, he gives you the opportunity to buy just the previous year's SUPPLEMENT for $9.95, and he usually has it out and available just a few weeks after the end of the year; amazing. [:0]
          Worth every penny. BP

He also referred to more complete indexes created by Jan Young at Precison Systems. A littel Googling and, sure enough, there do seem to be complete indexes to Turning Wheels - and a lot more - on Jan Young's web site:
          http://www.presys.biz/studebaker.htm

The indexes aren't free, but the coverage and content seem to be worth the prices. I had never seen these before. I can see why there isn't much point for TW to duplicate the work. Jan, are you here?

Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, MA
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

FYI: Jan Young has been advertising those excellent indexes in the TW classifieds for some time now.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota
            1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
            "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I've got an older copy of one of Jan Young's indexes. Purdy neet stuph!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X