Stupid Studebaker Move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Studebaker Move

My Caddy powered Scotsman was down to some detail work when I decided to grab N8 and return the Th400 transmission core to the auto parts store in the truck. When I built the drive shaft I made up a home made U joint adapter for the front yoke with two machined spacers to center the smaller cross in the bigger yoke. On the way back from the store at 70 MPH we hear a bing bang and the truck started shaking like mad. We got it to a stop and found we'd thrown one cap on the U joint. No big deal I thought, this time I have a drive shaft shop do it right. Had the truck towed home and figured I'd limp into the garage but heard a hell of a banging even in park.

By trying to save a few bucks on a drive shaft, the broken joins shaking cracked the case on my rebuilt transmission. Parked the truck in the garage and said screw it for a few days. It's not the loss of the $500 transmission that pisses me off as much as the labor involved in getting the damn transmission in and out again.

64 Commander 2 dr.
    64 GT Hawk R2 clone
    64 Daytona HT
    63 Cruiser
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black)
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

JDP, I know you have alot of expertise in repairing cars, with so many you have to have great knowlege to keep them on the road in good condition. The one thing I have learned about repairing things like drive shafts and other things that are in constant motion is when you try to rig something it always seems to come a loose. It finds the weakest point and bang, boom. My chevy truck has a thing called a truinun. it has some tabs that bend over the c shaped bolts that hold the u joint, after I had a clutch put in the mechanic told me to bring it back in a week after getting those tabs( they cost 2.98) I thought since it worked coming out of there it would be ok, that thing came a loose coming from carlise PA. metal went up in the trans and ruined it, that 1,200.00 was gone, good news is I put a 4 speed in and never looked back, those little things can bite you, I hope things turn out ok.

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Comment

JDP, I know you have alot of expertise in repairing cars, with so many you have to have great knowlege to keep them on the road in good condition. The one thing I have learned about repairing things like drive shafts and other things that are in constant motion is when you try to rig something it always seems to come a loose. It finds the weakest point and bang, boom. My chevy truck has a thing called a truinun. it has some tabs that bend over the c shaped bolts that hold the u joint, after I had a clutch put in the mechanic told me to bring it back in a week after getting those tabs( they cost 2.98) I thought since it worked coming out of there it would be ok, that thing came a loose coming from carlise PA. metal went up in the trans and ruined it, that 1,200.00 was gone, good news is I put a 4 speed in and never looked back, those little things can bite you, I hope things turn out ok.

Studebakers forever!
      Studebakers forever!

Comment

Yep, in hindsight, I screwed up big time. The cross was a little too small and I thought I'd snugged it up nicely with a machined spacer. The torque broke the snap ring and it went to hell in a hand cart from there. I'll let a pro build me a shaft this time. The good news is my fabricated rear cross member held up under more abuse then it will ever get in normal service.

64 Commander 2 dr.
        64 GT Hawk R2 clone
        64 Daytona HT
        63 Cruiser
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert
        63 Lark 2 door
        63 Lark 2 door #2
        62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark HT
        60 Hawk
        59 3E truck
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Yep, in hindsight, I screwed up big time. The cross was a little too small and I thought I'd snugged it up nicely with a machined spacer. The torque broke the snap ring and it went to hell in a hand cart from there. I'll let a pro build me a shaft this time. The good news is my fabricated rear cross member held up under more abuse then it will ever get in normal service.

64 Commander 2 dr.
          64 GT Hawk R2 clone
          64 Daytona HT
          63 Cruiser
          63 Avanti R1
          63 Daytona convert
          63 Lark 2 door
          63 Lark 2 door #2
          62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Lark HT
          60 Hawk
          59 3E truck
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

OUCH![}]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

OUCH![}]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My GMC(Got More Cash?)1 ton shed a ujoint cap twice in one week. [xx(] Fortunately, it was the rear joint and didn't bother the trans, but I had to get a new yoke welded on. Cost me $250 which is a heluva lot less than what you are looking at, but no less agrannoying. Put a nice dent in my profit for that week too.[8]

Terry

Comment

My GMC(Got More Cash?)1 ton shed a ujoint cap twice in one week. [xx(] Fortunately, it was the rear joint and didn't bother the trans, but I had to get a new yoke welded on. Cost me $250 which is a heluva lot less than what you are looking at, but no less agrannoying. Put a nice dent in my profit for that week too.[8]

Terry

Comment

OK, so it's not Studebaker related....
                    But it is a stupid thing to do...
                    Had a huge Pecan tree split down the middle in a storm a couple weeks ago...
                    I puttered around cutting the little stuff off of it on the weekends.
                    This weekend I got the good chain saw fixed and went about it serious like...
                    Adjusted the chain.
                    Was sharpening the teeth on the chain.
                    Pinched the chain and pulled it forward to do the next section.
                    For some dumb reason I 'pushed' the chain back a bit.
                    Duhhh....
                    Cut the snot out of my RH index finger.
                    Now, totally PO'd (at myself) I went in and asked the wife to doctor me up.
                    Ehhh... Borderline on stitches...
                    But a superb candidate for superglue and my new box of 'Ducktape' bandages....
                    She fixed me right up and out I went to saw until numb and deaf....
                    Only problem is I can't type worth a hoot with a bunged up bandaged index finger
                    Jeff[8D]
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

OK, so it's not Studebaker related....
                      But it is a stupid thing to do...
                      Had a huge Pecan tree split down the middle in a storm a couple weeks ago...
                      I puttered around cutting the little stuff off of it on the weekends.
                      This weekend I got the good chain saw fixed and went about it serious like...
                      Adjusted the chain.
                      Was sharpening the teeth on the chain.
                      Pinched the chain and pulled it forward to do the next section.
                      For some dumb reason I 'pushed' the chain back a bit.
                      Duhhh....
                      Cut the snot out of my RH index finger.
                      Now, totally PO'd (at myself) I went in and asked the wife to doctor me up.
                      Ehhh... Borderline on stitches...
                      But a superb candidate for superglue and my new box of 'Ducktape' bandages....
                      She fixed me right up and out I went to saw until numb and deaf....
                      Only problem is I can't type worth a hoot with a bunged up bandaged index finger
                      Jeff[8D]
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff,

It is not a chain saw incident until you try a leg amputation like I did about 20 years ago. I had bound up one saw in a log and fired up another and was reaching down to begin my undeside cut while walking over another log. End result, 27 stitches in my knee. As a result, I now wear Kevlar chaps.

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Jeff,

It is not a chain saw incident until you try a leg amputation like I did about 20 years ago. I had bound up one saw in a log and fired up another and was reaching down to begin my undeside cut while walking over another log. End result, 27 stitches in my knee. As a result, I now wear Kevlar chaps.

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

WHEW- When I saw the title I thought you were referring to me putting bids on 4 different Studes and a Lincoln in the last 2 days...[:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

WHEW- When I saw the title I thought you were referring to me putting bids on 4 different Studes and a Lincoln in the last 2 days...[:I]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Working...
                              X