This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping large items

What's the best/cheapest/safest way to ship something like a couple of bumpers? Do the regulars like UPS, FedEx, and DHL ship those types of things?

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
    www.bulletshots.net
    www.bulletshots.net/blog

UPS and Fed Ex will, but there may be a oversize charge.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 Avanti
    54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

I've got someone wanting to send me some. Any idea how much two bumpers and guards would weigh?

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
      www.bulletshots.net
      www.bulletshots.net/blog

Comment

Depends on the bumpers. Larks are light, Hawks are not.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 Avanti
        54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

Might I suggest you price USPS Parcel Post? I know it sounds silly, but I bought a bumper on ebay and the seller sent it to me parcel post. Cost was less than UPS, and there was no oversize charge! It seems like UPS was $80.00 or so, FedEx was $75.00 or around there and USPS Parcel Post was $43.00. Shipping on both those was about $50.00 + an oversize charge. No oversize charge on Parcel Post. Took about a week. Check it out.

Comment

You might also try Fed Ex FREIGHT (not express) they are VERY cheap as well as their Fed Ex (Kinkos)package delivery service.

I've used them in the past with very good handling, as well as quick service, whereas the post office has damaged much of the things I ship. United Parcel just trys to destroy in my experience (I know you have exceptions) out of the terminal here in the Atlanta area.
            Louis

Comment

Just went through this for the second time. By far Grayhound is over 50% cheaper than anyone else. I bought a door from SASCO and it was so much cheaper than everyone else and to get to Houston from SASCO was less than a week. You will have to go to the bus station to get it but in my case a small town outside Houston was extremly easy. Good Luck.

Comment

I'm with Glowacky on this. For something like a bumper, Greyhound is a great way to go. Of course, sender and recipient both have to be willing to go to the nearest Greyhound depot.

I don't know what post office that bumper went thru, but I recently sold an item on ebay that ended up being shipped in a triangle-shaped box. The longest side of this triangle was 36". It maybe weighed 4 lbs at best. They wanted nearly 80 bucks [:0] because by their way of measuring, it was a couple of inches oversize! FedEx ground was about one third that amount.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr Biggs is correct. I once sold a Dr. Pepper sign on eBay and figured it would be a couple bucks more because it was big and ungainly but didn't weigh much. Took it to the Post Office and the charge was going to be $80.00. Went to the UPS Store and it was $37.00...still alot but better than 80!

I'll have to remember Greyhound. Our bus depot is about a mile from here...but scary!

Studedude1961
                  --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                  X