This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I have seen cars that had roof rust. I believe they were from coastal areas.

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Transtar56

Im assuming the roof rust is only of the surface rust variety. If it has eaten holes in the roof it is a much more complicated repeir as you will have to rip out the headliner.
    Id certainly get right on it so it dosen't get that bad,especially if the car spends any time sitting outside.
    Usually,if you find a Stude around here that has rusted through in the roof,there are serious rust issues in other places as well,but I think what your talking about is just where the paint has been missing for awhile.
    Thanks Robert,

I feel from the two photos I have that you're correct. It would seem that Marty has restored it (when???) but the paint and chrome leave something to be desired; I intend to get the Meguiars 3 stage cleaning system and chrome cleaner; it will be interesting to see how it comes up.

Anyway, I can always redo the chrome and paint in future if required.

I have 2 photos, but need to get some kind of online storage for them before posting the link, which I'll work on tomorrow.

John Clements

PS, I don't need to spin the tires I'll enjoy the car for what it is and leave it better than I got it for whoever the next owner may be.

Avantilover your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!

Leave a comment:

• Transtar56
    replied
    Forgot to say,I used to own a 47 Champion business coupe,it was a neat car.people just could not believe how long the trunk was,it just had a leather curtain seperating the trunk section from the seat.
    Mine had overdrive,which made it a much better driver with the little Champion six,but by no means could you spin the tires,even in the snow(G)

Leave a comment:

• Transtar56
    replied
    Im assuming the roof rust is only of the surface rust variety. If it has eaten holes in the roof it is a much more complicated repeir as you will have to rip out the headliner.
    Id certainly get right on it so it dosen't get that bad,especially if the car spends any time sitting outside.
    Usually,if you find a Stude around here that has rusted through in the roof,there are serious rust issues in other places as well,but I think what your talking about is just where the paint has been missing for awhile.

Leave a comment:

• hank63
    replied
    Actually, most head lights are asymetric,they shine a bit more to the kerb side. You can see how the dipped beam "light picture" kicks up a bit on the kerb side. Hence, a RHD head light would kick up towards oncoming traffic when driven on the left side of the road.
    It's actually illegal to use RHD head lights in Australia, regardless of how they are adjusted.
    /H

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Okay, you'll have to explain what you mean by converting the headlights. I mean, the right and left sides are the same AFAIK, other than maybe the way they're aimed.[]

Silly me [:I],

Changing the aim of the headlights so they don't shine directly in oncoming traffic as they would if they stayed in the original LHD aiming pattern.

John Clements

Leave a comment:

• 65cruiser
    replied
    Okay, you'll have to explain what you mean by converting the headlights. I mean, the right and left sides are the same AFAIK, other than maybe the way they're aimed.[]

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Packebaker

Just Curious, Avantilover, Is the '47 you are looking at right-hand drive? How about the other Studebakers in your club? Don't Australian cars have rhd, or am I mistaken?
    I'm still waiting to see it as it's stored away from the owner's home. In any case, it would likely be RHD as we in Australia drive the opposite to the US.

I haven't seen many of the other cars yet, some keep LHD though they must have the Headlights converted to RHD otherwise they'd shine into oncoming traffic.

Cars older than 25-30 (think Studes qualify ) are able to remain LHD, but with the lights converted as I explained. Some do a steering conversion upon importing a US car (for example) others do not, though I think it's easier if your car was a convertible. That said, I'd keep mine LHD if I had one as it would be original.

Many of our cars came from Canada(Guessing) some at least CKD (completely knocked down in a crate then built up here). I say Canada, because some GM Chevrolets & Pontiacs were made RHD there then shipped here.

I'm very much looking forward to owning a Stude, wasn't thinking of one this old, but as it's the fellow who is well respected and did the restoration himself, and he's only asking $AUD1000 how can I lose. Apparently there is some (easily repaired) roof rust, and the upholstery needs work, but hey, that's all the fun of an old car!!!

I'd like to be able to give my car to an expert Restoration Company such as Classic Restorations in NY then get it back perfect, but I don't have the $USD(or AUD)50,000 or so those places would charge. My aim is to save up for the repairs then eventually renew the paint etc until it's one of the best of it's type, as it deserves. I propose using Mobil 8000 Premium Unleaded (or other 98 Octane) in it as it has all the additives to keep the engine clean and corrosion free. Since it's not my daily driver (2004 Toyota Corolla Wagon) that will be ok cost wise.

Regards

John Clements

PS I'll post some photos once I get it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Just Curious, Avantilover, Is the '47 you are looking at right-hand drive? How about the other Studebakers in your club? Don't Australian cars have rhd, or am I mistaken?

Leave a comment:

• avantilover
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

John, that sounds like a heck of a deal to me.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    It sure does, and I look forward to receiving an emailed photo then seeing it in person.

Will keep you informed

John Clements

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    John, that sounds like a heck of a deal to me.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic 1947 4 door Champion

1947 4 door Champion

At our club meeting tonight, one of the members who restores and repairs Studes (reputable) offered me his 1947 4 door Champion for $AUD1000 (approx $USD700).

It's a dark Red/Maroon color (6-cyl)and is in good condition apart from some minor roof rust. Has been restored and been in historic car events.

I have yet to look at it, but feel it's a genuine bargain from someone who wants to help out a new club member.

I'd like to get comments from the list on this model, I need to learn to use the column shift manual which won't be hard.

Thoughts anyone???

John Clements

Working...
X