Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a quote for $350 to install and paint two new front fenders and the panel behind the front bumper on my 66 Cruiser. I thought that was pretty good. I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Who was that, Scott - MAACO???[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Who was that, Scott - MAACO???[}]
        Be careful with Maaco, I dont know if its a locality thing, but we got
        a quote from them before having the car painted at Earls. The quote
        was over 1000 dollars and that was for one stage enamel - NO clear! It
        also didnt include ANY stripping of the old paint, and no body work.
        The urethane paints started at the 1500 dollar job! They showed me a
        sample car of the single stage enamel and it looked awful. This Earl
        job really looks good, I am quite pleased with the quality and most
        definately the price - the two together is hard to find these days! It
        should be noted that the shops are individually owned, and the quality
        is directly related to the painter. You can have good painters at bad
        shops and bad painters at good shops. Its a crap shoot really.

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

NO, not Maaco. This shop is near Monticello, MN. The owner used to work on Studebakers for many years in his body shop. His brother bought my 1966 Cruiser new in late 1965 and this fellow did work on it before - many years ago. Unfortunately even the floor repair he made back then needs attention again.

I don't know if he was giving me the usual shop rate, or if I was getting a bit of a deal because of his family's connection with the car. I think it's mostly the former, and probably cheaper than a lot of shops because he already KNOWS how to judge bodywork on a Studebaker driver. He may not feel the urge to inflate it because it is an unknown.

I had a body shop just north of Minneapolis look at my 1947 Commander a few years ago. The body was pretty solid, but the rockers needed replacing and the doors needed some work (this guy felt the doors should be replaced due to rust inside on the bottom - I hardly saw any). Anyway, this guy had the &*%* to quote $20,000 for the bodywork and paint, and that might be low!! And that car was more solid than the '66 Cruiser I have now. He had been recommended as someone to go to for late model stuff. I wouldn't let my worst enemy get gouged like that.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Generally, the shops that really don't wanna bother with the old stuff will give you a crazy quote like that just to dissuade you from going with them. That way - on the outside chance you're nutz enough to bite - his butt's covered BIG time for whatever work he does for you. [}]

Tom, if I remember right, your "signature" sbca - refers to Santa Barbara California. You can correct me if I'm wrong.
            There's a WORLD of difference between the price of anything in SBCA and 150 miles away in Visalia. (which is in no way a hick town like it was 20 years ago - we're having a housing boom here that's just plain nuts!)
            The MAACO here paints cars for a couple hundred bucks. And with a bit of negotiations you can get a decent-looking spary job worthy of a driver.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Didn't we do a Maaco job on this one ?

or was it this one ?

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
              64 R2 4 speed Challenger
              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
              63 Avanti
              54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
                Tom, if I remember right, your "signature" sbca - refers to Santa Barbara California. You can correct me if I'm wrong.
                Yes, thats correct, its not "scuba" or "Small Block Chevy A$$hole"

quote:Originally posted by Mr.BiggsThere's a WORLD of difference between the price of anything in SBCA and 150 miles away in Visalia.
                True, even In & Out Paint and Body is 3000 grand in S.B., but that was
                a quote we got from the Maaco in Santa Maria. There is no Earl Scheib
                in S.B. County (probably kept out by the tight knit gouging monopoly),
                so we had to go to Ventura (actually Oxnard).[:0]

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I've had 3 cars painted by Maaco over the last 20 years and all were good jobs. The first was a 66 Ford Econoline. I was real happy with that job. Then I had a two-tone Caprice wagon painted, and a 77 Pontiac Lemans. The Lemans needed a lot of work. They repaired some rust in the front fenders, stripped the hood, trunk and roof and painted it Firethorn red. It was a beautiful job. I found that to get a good job with Maaco, you need to remove everything. I had the painter tell me they love it when a car comes in like that. It makes surface prep so much easier and there's less to mask.

I'd call it driver quality paint. I'm not sure who painted my Cruiser as it was done 5-6 years ago. But, it's held up really well (although not show quality). It may have been someone like Maaco that painted it as well.

Comment

I've only had one experience with Maaco and it was bad. That was a few years ago on a Jeep Cherokee and it came back without pin striping, had lovely drip marks everywhere, etc. That's why I was trying to get a ballpark on other alternatives.

A new guy at my office, who just moved here, wanted to get his Eclipse painted a couple of weeks ago. I told him off the bat who not to go see, but the first quote he got was for like $4k, so he went for a quote at Maaco. They gave him a quote of like $1500, so he went with them. After numerous promises of getting the car back and numerous delays, he finally got it back yesterday. He went in for something like a gunmetal color and what he got was greyish silver with pink undertones! You can seriously see pink streaks or highlights at certain places in the paint now. They claimed it was something else, but it looks like someone forgot to clean out the spray gun. I think they wound up cutting his tab in half. Maybe Maaco is better elsewhere, but that is a headache I don't want to go through with Stella.

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
                    www.bulletshots.net
                    www.bulletshots.net/blog

Comment

If you get on the internet and do a search on Maaco, you'll find many websites with tales of horror[}]. Maaco's are franchised operations, and it also seems the the corporate office really doesn't care what the franchisee's do. So, if you have a problem, you'll have to deal directly with the owner of the franchise. In that case, Maaco is probably no better or no worse than your local bodyshop. It all depends on who owns it, and whether or not the people they employe are good at what they do. Our local Maaco went out of business a few years ago, but it was always the same guy who owned it, and they seemed to do good quality work. All the cars I had painted there still looked good 3 or 4 years later. I'd say before I went to either Earl Schieb or Maaco, I'd go hang around there and look at other cars they've painted. If you didn't like what you see (or they WON'T allow that), I'd run in the other direction.

Check this out:

http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=12081

Comment

The thing I love about Earl Scheib and places like that is that you can put other things that you need painted in the car, leave the windows down, and get it all painted at once!

Proud Owner of the one and only 1963 BEND OVER POOP HAWK!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MacMyers

Proud Owner of the one and only 1963 BEND OVER POOP HAWK!
                          Speaking of which, how is the "bend over poop hawk" doing[xx(]?

Comment

JDP - both of those cars got a MAACO paint job. Neither of them were gonna score high at a judged meet, but they were right presentable as the photos honestly showed!
                            As I recall, the only complaint I had about either car was that the Wagonaire's one door looked a bit thinly covered if you got it in just the right light.
                            They did a DAMN good job of matching the original color too. I think both jobs were under $300 apiece. Granted, that include no body work and I had pulled most of the trim myself and then reinstalled it afterwards.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President 2-dr
                            1955 President State
                            1951 Champion Biz cpe
                            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MacMyers

The thing I love about Earl Scheib and places like that is that you can put other things that you need painted in the car, leave the windows down, and get it all painted at once!
                              Cute. We removed everything that would come off easily, including the
                              marker and tail lights. They masked things very well. A friend of
                              ours had his 87 IROC painted at a local shop for over 2000, which did
                              not include the bottom aero kit. They "fixed" a chip on the roof and
                              it looked like a bump after (dont you sand spot putty?). They also
                              did a nice job of hitting the rear hatch glass with the sander TWICE!
                              The rear window has rotory gouges now. This is a "good" paint & body
                              shop in Santa Barbara, with a "good" rep. I was not impressed. When
                              our friends at the local hangout were asked which car was painted at
                              Earl, hands down they chose HIS car. I think that Earl has really got
                              their act together - overall. Not show quality, but I wouldnt expect
                              that for 600 bucks.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X