X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, I love those 58s

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...31224563QQrdZ1

WOW!!!! The 58 Commander hardtops are my favorites of that year. The stainless side mouldings are more elegant than those on the President.
    I had a cream puff of a 58 Commander hardtop many years ago. It was baby blue and white. This was back when the 58 sedans were the butt of jokes because of their "ugly" pod headlights. BS, I thought![}]
    I only sold it to move up to a 58 Packard wagon[:I] I've regretted, more than once, letting that hardtop go.[V] Matt, maybe you've seen my hardtop at a Georgia meet? I remember it had body # 311 I sold it to another SDC guy. I'd like to think it's still on the road.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

[?] Bob: I've never owned a 1958 hardtop, but note the rear windows not being all the way down in this nice one. [:0] Do they have trouble getting all the way down after awhile?
      Sure is nice...good color combo! [] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I've never known the rear windows to be any worse than any other Stude windows as regards function.
        I too, like the copper & cream color scheme on this car. I believe tho, that the two-tone scheme on this one is wrong. The fins should be the same as the lower body. Only the roof carried the accent color on Commanders. The same was true on non-hardtop Commander sedans as well. The Pres hardtops had the fins painted to match the roof.

As to this car's write-up, I think he's stretching the "very rare" businss as regards the TT rear. And stainless trim all perfect? Look at the top rung of the grille in the front-on photos with the hood up. I don't believe that's "factory". [}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I saw that car at an auction in Zephyrhills in Feb. this year... sharp car! I have a few pics of it I'll try to post later...

I believe it was sold for $9600 at that sale...

I see okiebob is the high bidder on this one also... go get em! Will you drive this one home after the Lark?

GOOD LUCK!!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Comment

The '57-'58 hardtops were really beautiful bodies. I can't understand why Studebaker had such difficulty selling such nice looking cars. If it weren't for the Scotsman, they probably would have had to fold their tent in '58. Of course, the Lark gave them a short reprieve.
            Rog

'59 Lark Regal Hardtop
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Can't really figure out how to post my 4 pics of this car; but can probably e-mail them to anyone who wants them...

I seem to remember seeing a little rust on the left fin... okiebob, I recommend asking the seller for good pics of that whole fin...

Hope you get it, to go with your new Lark! I'll be jealous.....[]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Comment

Hey Robert! Doesn't look like I'll be going to Florida since I have been outbid. I'd love to have the car or maybe the Golden Hawk that John is going to be selling, but I'm sure it will be out of my price range, anyway if I want to live in harmony with the little woman I'd better stop with the Lark. (for now) Maybe I'm a little weird but I just love the headlight pods on the 58's, it's just so unique. Later, OkieBob

I LOVE MY STUDEBAKER

Comment

Working...
                X