Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They did not, must have been a special reason for the note. i.e. I've seen "Hold for engineering," Indy car, "Roger ward" and the like.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 Avanti
    54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

Welcome, John!

Included with the owner's manual with this car was a "Name Plate Registration" brocure. There are instructions, and a tear off portion (missing on mine) that was to be sent in to get your personalized name plate. The plate said "Gran Turismo Hawk Quality built expressely for XXXXX XXXXXXX". My car does not have the name plate on the dash.

HD Newcombe could have been the person that ordered the car new. Does anyone know ( Bob[?]) if ALL customer ordered cars had the purchasor shown on line 99 of the production order?

[/quote]

Dick: No, they did not, as John said. It was rare, if ever, that a simple retail customer's name would appear on the production order, even if it was an ordered vehicle. I've looked at thousands of original production orders through the years and can't remember seeing more than one or two customer names.

H D Newcombe may not be the name of a person anyway; it could be a leasing company or any number of entities. [)]

Who said you haven't "stumped" me, Dick? [}] I was unable to tell you exactly how many 1962 Hawks had 4-speeds (not that anyone else could without researching all the 1962 V-8 production orders)...and, now, I have no idea to what "H D Newcombe" refers! <G> BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I, too, think it's neat we have the availability of production orders for our cars.

H.D. Newcombe might be a Stude Zone employee in Portland, or maybe the name of the dealer in Portland where the car was shipped, or maybe even a local VIP (mayor?) Fun to guess, isn't it? The SNM can tell you the name of the dealers in Portland in late '62.

Although they don't promote this, the SNM also has shipping certificates for '60's Studes. I prefer them to the production order. They have most of the info from the P.O. plus the name and street address of the dealer the car was shipped to. I have both the shipping certificate and production order for my '63 Lark Daytona Skytop.

I was at the SNM archives in Jan., looking through retail sales records for the Carl E. Filer Co., our local Stude dealer where I grew up, and a friend of mine as well. These sales records begin in Sept. '63 and appear to go through the end of '66, although seemed sparse for '65 (at least for this particular dealer). Of the 40 '64 Studes our local dealer moved from his inventory, seven went to other dealers (he sold Studes through '66). This was more trading than I would have expected back then. In fact, a Bordeaux Red 4-speed convertible he sold, he got in a dealer trade from Buffalo, NY. So, the production order might not actually show you the real location the car was sold from. BTW, the serial number was 64V-5962--might the car survive? It had black vinyl buckets seats, power steering and a 289.

Those are interesting forms. They show the name of the retail buyer, or name of the dealer accepting the vehicle in a dealer trade, the buyer's address and occupation, and the salesman's name. You need to know the dealer's zone code to access them though. I knew the serial number of a car delivered there new, so cross-referencing from the production order to the shipping certificate for that car to the dealer retail sales records, which are organized by month, then dealer code, order, was necessary.

Anyway, good luck in trying to find out who Mr. Newcomb was/is!

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

I don't know why it was, but most '60s Studebakers were assembled after their indicated requested "date to ship." This "SOLD RUSH" car was assembled on the day it was supposed to ship.

My guess on the "H D NEWCOMBE" is that he was someone with a high position in Studebaker, like in charge of a Zone. I don't think that any nameplates came on the car from the factory. The dealer or owner usually affixed them

Gary L.
          1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
          1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you will access your August and September issues of Turning Wheels you will find a fairly exhaustive article on Studebaker window price stickers in my Almanac column. There are photo samples of actual stickers for all eight years they were in use.

Window price stickers were introduced on the 1959 model year cars (they were required by law). I have authentic blanks for all the 1959-66 cars (they wee not required on trucks). I have been wholesaling the blanks to Ed Reynolds at Studebaker International for over 10 years. I have subsequently made up stickers for all Studebakers back to 1931.

For over 5 years I have been filling them out for SDC members using authentic fonts with accurate prices for the misc options and accessories. I charge $40 plus $2.50 shipping for this service. I have never advertised this service since each sticker generally requires about 2 hours to complete and I am not sure I want to be that busy!

The one John has posted for the '62 Hawk is a good example but I can email a sample of most any year and model upon request. (rtq11 at aol.com)

Richard Quinn
            editor: The Studebaker Almanac

P.S. I am not sure how John could possibly think that Bob Palma had the talent to do anything this complex!!

R. Quinn
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

The buyer had an especially bad hair day when he ordered the car.In the glove box he found a heavy duty new comb.On a lark,,Studebaker built a 'vanity' into their cars the next year!!!

LaSalle,Il
              61Hawk
              60Lark
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Richard Quinn
                editor: The Studebaker Almanac

P.S. I am not sure how John could possibly think that Bob Palma had the talent to do anything this complex!!

I resemble that remark. [}] Just see what happens the next time you need a GM intermediate wagon beater and can't find one, Dick! (I'm stockpiling them.) BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

My guess on the "H D NEWCOMBE" is that he was someone with a high position in Studebaker, like in charge of a Zone.
                  We need Mr. Biggs to make up a good story about the life and times of H D Newcombe. You up to it Bob? [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I guess Mr. Quinn is busy enough,but I got one from him for my 60 Hawk and they are very nice!

Comment

Thanks for the unsolicited testimonial on the window price stickers. My initial post on this topic indicated that a comprehensive article on the topic of the stickers could be found in the August and September issues of Turning Wheels. I failed to provide the year which was 1996. Pardon the oversight.

I will be glad to hear from anyone who is interested in having one done. I can email samples.

Richard Quinn
                      TW Almanac editor
                      Richard Quinn
                      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thank you, Bob Parma ,for the 63 car and accessorries prices. They arrived two days ago.
                        BTW I ordered the factory GT Hawk invoice from SNM but the charge was $40. Maybe I'm getting something more special.

Dick Curtis
                        1950 Regal Starlight
                        1963 GT Hawk.
                        The 1950 Champion Starlight
                        Santa Barbara
                        CA

Comment

StarlightChamp, The production orders for models before a certain year (1957??) are $40 and the later years are $25. Kevin

1963 Champ

Comment

quote:Originally posted by KevinSheen

StarlightChamp, The production orders for models before a certain year (1957??) are $40 and the later years are $25. Kevin

1963 Champ
                            '60-'66 are $25. '36-'59 are $40.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                            X