This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzling starter trouble...

I have switched the 8 out of my wagon into the pickup (62 Champ). The motor flywheel and clutch are from the wagon. Well, the clutch assy did come out of the truck originally. The bellhousing and the tranny are the truck's.
    The problem is that the starter won't turn over the motor.
    Had the starter bench tested. It comes out top notch. madning.
    Any suggestions???

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith

Clarify - Won't spin the engine or.... spins, but won't ENGAGE the flywheel???[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob, engages the flywheel won't turn the motor. works fine out of the motor. Worked fine before this installation.

Gary, what's your point? They are identical. Check your parts manuals. the numbers are the same. Besides, I have the starter from the previous setup (the truck) and visibly there isn't a difference. the reach in the impeller housing is the same. the fly wheels are the same. The only reason I did'nt use the truck's flywheel is because I would have had to disassemble the whole mess from the car to do it. My way of thinking was: Why do so when It's no different?
      Or is it?[)]
      Is there a different dimple for the tranny shaft in the truck's flywheel? Is the shaft longer on the truck's tranny? Could that be what's causing the binding?[}]
      I was going to go out and work on it today. The rain for the past week would nessessatate an aqualung and wetsuit. It's still raining... Sigh.[V]

Lotsa Larks!
      Ron Smith
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I agree on the damned rain. We need it but not all at once![xx(]

Does it just clunk in in engagement and then not do anything? Or does it try AT ALL to turn the engine. I know it sounds dumb, but the engine DOES turn by hand - right?[?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

What year is the wagon? It wouldn't happen to have been a 6 volt? And now you are trying to use a 12 volt starter? The starter has to match the flywheel. The 6 volt starter and flywheel gears are different from the 12 volt ones. If this is the case, just use the 6 volt starter, it should work fine on 12 volts.

Comment

original installation of motor: 1964 Canadian wagon
            Engine: 259 Transmission (in wagon): Manual - overdrive

Current location: 1962 Champ (pickup)
            Transmission: 3spd (truck)

Used bellhousing and engine mounts from original truck motor (289). The truck's (289) flywheel appears to be identical to the one on the motor now. Same diameter, teeth etc... Used wagon's starter as it's in better shape than the identical truck starter.

Yes the starter attempts to turn the motor. Sometimes it can be heard to engage with the flywheel and that's all. Othertimes the motor (namely the pulley and balance wheel) turns 1/4 turn. [u]Ocassionally </u>it will spin then engage with a disastrous sounding grind and clunk (wheeee ka chunk!).[:0] Then the motor will do that 1/4th turn.

I was thinking of detaching the tranny and seeing if that helps. If it does I can work from there. Still, with it in neutral, I can turn the rear wheels without any trouble.

Grumble, grumble, siiigh.[V]

Lotsa Larks!
            Ron Smith
            Ron Smith

Comment

Looks like you have another problem too if you are using the truck bell housing as you stated since you did not state that you have had the car block and the truck bell lined up.
              If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
              61 V8 Tcab
              63 Tcab 20R powered
              55 Commander Wagon
              54 Champion Wagon
              46 Gibson Model A
              50 JD MC
              45 Agricat
              67 Triumph T100
              66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

This might sound crazy - and I don't mean for it to be a permanent fix - but try loosening the two bolts that hold the starter. Not to where it can flop around, but to the amount that the starter can just slightly flex a bit with some significant pressure from your hand. Then try it and see if it can spin the engine.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

I interpret 'had the starter bench tested' to mean it was taken to another location where they had their own 12V source. So maybe your own battery is discharged? If it is delivering a good 12V, then I would remove and clean both battery cables, at both ends, and check for a ground strap at the right front motor mount.

Dwain G.

Comment

Thanks Biggs. Great minds do think alike.[^] Already tried that.

I have several batteries that I use for this kind of thing. Both are good. I use one at a time and charge the other.

No I have'nt had the housing dialed in. According to the manual that only affects the tranny falling out of gear. It would'nt cause any kind of binding.

ground strap is installed. I also use the ground battery cable whilst attempting to run the starter.

I'm beginning to think this motor that Lionel Stone said was so sweet is so siezed. Or in the process thereof. Sometimes life just stinks!

Lotsa Larks!
                    Ron Smith
                    Ron Smith

Comment

Well then, how hard is it to turn over with a socket and ratchet???

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Get back to you on that Biggs. I have to borrow the socket.[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
                        Ron Smith
                        Ron Smith

Comment

You should probably take out the tranny and try it then. Its possible that the pilot bushing is not engaged and is jamming the pilot shaft into the trans causing the prob.

Norm
                          58 Transtar 1 ton dually PU
                          58 2 door wagon
                          Davenport, Fl
                          Norm
                          58 Transtar 1 ton dually PU
                          58 2 door wagon
                          Davenport, Fl

Comment

If the lock tab is still behind the crankshaft bolt, and bent over one of the flats on the bolt, I doubt you'll be able to get a socket or even a wrench on it. Use a small pry bar or a large screw driver to turm the flywheel. It works, it's just slow.
                            Dan Miller

Comment

Well, took the starter out and had it tested at FLAPS; tested fine.
                              Loosened the tranny; didn't work.
                              Removed the tranny; didn't work.
                              There is a fellow with a good reputation in the area who rebuilds electrical parts. He's my next stop. Other than that, I may have to replace the starter. I'm pretty sure that is'nt the problem... sigh.[V]

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X