No announcement yet.

Steering gear lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't find mine now, but I believe that it is Kendall 999 in a tube that I used for about the past 40 years. I used to sell it for $2 per tube and when I got low on it, I found that it is NLA.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I don't find mine now, but I believe that it is Kendall 999 in a tube that I used for about the past 40 years. I used to sell it for $2 per tube and when I got low on it, I found that it is NLA.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

WCD Garage had tubes of Kendall C999 at York.

I use the Semi-fluid steering gear lube from Penrite Lubricants (I have a Triumph TR3A, so thats how I found out about them), link here:http://www.penrite.co.uk/nextpage.php There are a number of US distributors.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

WCD Garage had tubes of Kendall C999 at York.

I use the Semi-fluid steering gear lube from Penrite Lubricants (I have a Triumph TR3A, so thats how I found out about them), link here:http://www.penrite.co.uk/nextpage.php There are a number of US distributors.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

John:
            I'm new to the forum but old to studes.

I have been restoring a 63 avanti for over 20 years
            but finally got to the time for mounting the steerin
            gear box. I also have another avanti that I drive
            everyday and checked it for fluid level. It needed
            some.
            I worry about brakes and steering. I want it right
            all the time. I looked for a long time for the right stuff. My 63 avanti shop manual ( page 4,
            section under "Every 5,000 miles"} says and I quote
            "Use a good grade of SAE 80 or 90 mineral oil
            Gear Lubricant. Do not use hypoid lubricant."
            My 56 passanger car shop manual { page 42 under
            lubrication "Ross Steering Gear" says, and I quote
            "SAE90 mineral oil gear lubricant is recommended"

I first saw 90 mineral oil at a farm supply store.
            I think it came in a 5 gallon container. More than
            I wanted to buy.
            So the next time I was in my NAPA store I asked.
            An employee came from behind the counter and took
            a gallon container off a shelf display.
            It is "NAPA Mineral Gear Oil, SAE 90, API GL1,
            1 Gallon, 65-201.
            I have forgotten the price. Needless to say
            I was happy to get it. Its going into both my
            avantis.

Hope this helps

Comment

John:
              I'm new to the forum but old to studes.

I have been restoring a 63 avanti for over 20 years
              but finally got to the time for mounting the steerin
              gear box. I also have another avanti that I drive
              everyday and checked it for fluid level. It needed
              some.
              I worry about brakes and steering. I want it right
              all the time. I looked for a long time for the right stuff. My 63 avanti shop manual ( page 4,
              section under "Every 5,000 miles"} says and I quote
              "Use a good grade of SAE 80 or 90 mineral oil
              Gear Lubricant. Do not use hypoid lubricant."
              My 56 passanger car shop manual { page 42 under
              lubrication "Ross Steering Gear" says, and I quote
              "SAE90 mineral oil gear lubricant is recommended"

I first saw 90 mineral oil at a farm supply store.
              I think it came in a 5 gallon container. More than
              I wanted to buy.
              So the next time I was in my NAPA store I asked.
              An employee came from behind the counter and took
              a gallon container off a shelf display.
              It is "NAPA Mineral Gear Oil, SAE 90, API GL1,
              1 Gallon, 65-201.
              I have forgotten the price. Needless to say
              I was happy to get it. Its going into both my
              avantis.

Hope this helps

Comment

I think the main reason folks are looking for the semi-fluid grease is that they are tired of the gear oil leaking out of the steering gear box. Of course, you need to put a zerk fitting on the cover plate of the gear box once you go that route.

But that 90 wt mineral oil is also recommended for the manual transmission and overdrive housing. I saw it for $25/gallon at Tractor Supply Co.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon
                Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

I think the main reason folks are looking for the semi-fluid grease is that they are tired of the gear oil leaking out of the steering gear box. Of course, you need to put a zerk fitting on the cover plate of the gear box once you go that route.

But that 90 wt mineral oil is also recommended for the manual transmission and overdrive housing. I saw it for $25/gallon at Tractor Supply Co.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                  "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Bob,

I'm sure you know this, but those engineers should have known the superiority of the Saginaw box long before the Lark ever came out, as I'm certain I've seen Saginaw recirc ball manual boxes on some early C-K's... not to mention the Saginaw integral power steering was also a recirc ball design!

Nate

(steering box full of Mobil 1 synthetic grease at the moment... gotta fix that, after 10 other things...)

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Bob,

I'm sure you know this, but those engineers should have known the superiority of the Saginaw box long before the Lark ever came out, as I'm certain I've seen Saginaw recirc ball manual boxes on some early C-K's... not to mention the Saginaw integral power steering was also a recirc ball design!

Nate

(steering box full of Mobil 1 synthetic grease at the moment... gotta fix that, after 10 other things...)

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Old thread re-visited. With much discussion of SI's tube of steering gear box lube (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...vanti-steering) I guess I'm still confused as to what lube is correct. When I found my Avanti Ross box low (or empty) last week, I filled it with 80 mineral oil per the Avanti Shop Manual. I decided to check my '59-'64 Shop Manual to see what it said. Saginaw gear box- use good quality chassis lube to top off, for complete fill use SP-50208(?). With power steering use 90 mulitpurpose gear lube (not abundantly clear to me). For Ross boxes, SL4 use 80 or 90 mineral oil, TA-12 and TL-12 use 140 gear oil in small quantities, for complete refill use Kendall 200.
                        What cars used SL4 and what cars used the TA-12 or the TL-12?
                        (This probably should be under Technical, but apparently the oriuginal thread was under General)
                        Last edited by 53k; 07-26-2010, 01:02 PM.
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Hi John, I use regular sae 140 in my Hawk 62 box,dailydriver summer and winter 10 C below to 30 C above zero,no troubles with that. BTW it is in the manual.
                          Dick Waterreus

Comment

OIL or GREASE?

For years we have been talking here about how the Saginaw boxes use OIL, as you have mentioned here, just standard Manual Trans./multi-purpose gear oil 90 or 140 Wt. though now-days to get Mineral Oil, you do have to buy NAPA 65-201 API GL-1 85W-90 Wt. because Multi-purpose GL-4 &5 now contains corrosive anti-wear additives.

It is also pretty well known that the
                            Ross boxes require the Simi-fluid GREASE, that is what 9G Woman started marketing, but it is now sold to S.I. I guess the next step is to look all of the gear box types up in the Chassis Parts Catalog to determine from the LOOK of them which is Ross & which is Saginaw because I remember they don't always or maybe never say the Brand name.

Off of the top of my head here, I think all '53-'60 V-8 boxes are Ross, all Avanti, all Truck, all Hawk, so about all that's left is the '61-'66 Lark Type Saginaw recirculating ball, and some Champions up to 1958 that have the early type Saginaw Worm & Sector.

I can tell you this: an SL box is the '56-'64 C&K/Hawk, not sure if it's the same as SL4, maybe, but we all know they are the leaky Ross's.

If something new has come up that I have never heard about, or I need to be corrected, that's fine lets hear it!

UPDATE: Here is a good over 2 year old post concerning this:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ar-Lube-Update
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 07-27-2010, 04:11 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Avanti service manual provides instructions for filling the Ross gear box, i.e. remove the plug on the side of the box, fill from the top, when lubricant runs out of hole on the side, stop it's full.

Comment

Here in Oz, we have a product called 'Liquid Grease'. It's a very thick liquid, takes ages to fill a strg box.
                                But, it doesn't leak out easily. My brand X strg box was leaking and needed topping up every other month.
                                With liquid grease it has stayed full for 2 years.
                                /H

Comment

Working...
                                X