Studebaker Mania Why does it Exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a kid I fell in love with Avantis.
    My brother was into cars and bought models, so I knew about F.I. "vettes, XK-Es and other exotics of the early mid-60s. Growing up an an air base there were plenty of Corvettes, small British sports cars, even a few oddities brought back from European assignments. But the Avanti is what caught my eye.
    Cool, modern and "different" (by design?)

So when I got my inheritance from by parents, I took a small portion to buy the Avanti.
    I knew dad would approve, he was always a car guy, not in the mechanical sense, but stylewise (a 50 yellow Olds convertible...much discussed in family lore, a new 55 Pontiac wagon to bring me home from the hospital, a new 59 Caddy,...followed by the "dark but dependable years" of two Ramblers, both with V-8s and the then rare AC...finally his last new car: a sweet 1969 Ford LTD hardtop. Most had his trademark red wheels).

I bought the car on looks alone...I had never driven a Studebaker until the day it was delivered. (I had driven a late 80s Avanti w/Chevy frame). Getting my license in the gas-crunch 70s, I had never owned a V-8 car.

The Avanti is all I hoped for, and more. I love to drive it.
    Modern enough to be fun, different enough to have style.
    People smile when they see it. Women stare. kids point, older guys talk about their (or their dads/grandads) Studebakers.

On one of my first drives I took it to the cemetary and showed it to dad. I'm sure he approved.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

As a kid I fell in love with Avantis.
      My brother was into cars and bought models, so I knew about F.I. "vettes, XK-Es and other exotics of the early mid-60s. Growing up an an air base there were plenty of Corvettes, small British sports cars, even a few oddities brought back from European assignments. But the Avanti is what caught my eye.
      Cool, modern and "different" (by design?)

So when I got my inheritance from by parents, I took a small portion to buy the Avanti.
      I knew dad would approve, he was always a car guy, not in the mechanical sense, but stylewise (a 50 yellow Olds convertible...much discussed in family lore, a new 55 Pontiac wagon to bring me home from the hospital, a new 59 Caddy,...followed by the "dark but dependable years" of two Ramblers, both with V-8s and the then rare AC...finally his last new car: a sweet 1969 Ford LTD hardtop. Most had his trademark red wheels).

I bought the car on looks alone...I had never driven a Studebaker until the day it was delivered. (I had driven a late 80s Avanti w/Chevy frame). Getting my license in the gas-crunch 70s, I had never owned a V-8 car.

The Avanti is all I hoped for, and more. I love to drive it.
      Modern enough to be fun, different enough to have style.
      People smile when they see it. Women stare. kids point, older guys talk about their (or their dads/grandads) Studebakers.

On one of my first drives I took it to the cemetary and showed it to dad. I'm sure he approved.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Many of my older(and sadly, many now-deceased)relatives wouldn't drive anything but a Studebaker! I grew up always hearing about what reliable, tough vehicles they were from these country folks. I can always find someone to say something bad about Fords, or Chevy, or Plymouth vehicles, but I can't recall ever hearing anyone say something really negative about Studebakers, which is saying a lot. What really stirred my interest was finding an abandoned, rusted-out '50 two-door Champion sedan sitting in an empty field, just when my interest in classic cars was really getting started. I honestly didn't realize that the car was that old, since the lines were more like those of newer sporty cars than what I associated with the early '50s', and when I looked inside, I was surprised at how modern the dashboard looked, compared to that of a fully-restored 1951 Ford Custom belonging to an aquaintance of mine. I did a bit of research, and found out what kind of car it was-and decided right then and there that I was going to drive one, eventually.

pitbulllady

Comment

Many of my older(and sadly, many now-deceased)relatives wouldn't drive anything but a Studebaker! I grew up always hearing about what reliable, tough vehicles they were from these country folks. I can always find someone to say something bad about Fords, or Chevy, or Plymouth vehicles, but I can't recall ever hearing anyone say something really negative about Studebakers, which is saying a lot. What really stirred my interest was finding an abandoned, rusted-out '50 two-door Champion sedan sitting in an empty field, just when my interest in classic cars was really getting started. I honestly didn't realize that the car was that old, since the lines were more like those of newer sporty cars than what I associated with the early '50s', and when I looked inside, I was surprised at how modern the dashboard looked, compared to that of a fully-restored 1951 Ford Custom belonging to an aquaintance of mine. I did a bit of research, and found out what kind of car it was-and decided right then and there that I was going to drive one, eventually.

pitbulllady

Comment

I'm sure that Bob could be buried in Pete LOL, I recall a lady being buried sitting in the drivers seat of her Ferrari.

John Clements
            Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
            Lockleys South Australia
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I'm sure that Bob could be buried in Pete LOL, I recall a lady being buried sitting in the drivers seat of her Ferrari.

John Clements
              Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
              Lockleys South Australia
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Some credit goes to this wonderful site and help, help, help, from same..............Brad........Atchison Kansas

Comment

Some credit goes to this wonderful site and help, help, help, from same..............Brad........Atchison Kansas

Comment

Working...
                  X