Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle Harley knew how

sigpic
    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

God speed to what sounds like a true craftsman. RIP.
    Dan

Dan Webster
    Santa Clarita, Ca.
    62 GT Hawk

Comment

God speed to what sounds like a true craftsman. RIP.
      Dan

Dan Webster
      Santa Clarita, Ca.
      62 GT Hawk

Comment

Harley came to mind recently when there was a forum discussion of steering problems. It used to amuse him that so many "needed repairs" could be cured by proper lubrication. Over the years he had a real credibility when he showed a legitimate problem to a customer's and referred them to the repair department.

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader
        sigpic

Comment

Harley came to mind recently when there was a forum discussion of steering problems. It used to amuse him that so many "needed repairs" could be cured by proper lubrication. Over the years he had a real credibility when he showed a legitimate problem to a customer's and referred them to the repair department.

sigpic

Comment

My condolences on your loss, and if you have any relatives working in the DC area let me know! Sounds like my kind of guy.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

My condolences on your loss, and if you have any relatives working in the DC area let me know! Sounds like my kind of guy.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

[V] Sorry to hear of that, Dale. I remember your telling me that story about Uncle Harley some time ago. As you say, such craftsmanship in small details is rare today.

You may remember my Uncle Milton Palma, Dad's younger brother and a favorite of mine that passed away in December 1995. When Uncle Milt ran he and Dad's new Mobil gas station in Paris after Packard went out of business, Uncle Milt had traits similar to those of Uncle Harley.

To wit: When a customer brought in a flat tire for repair, Uncle Milt would always insist that the repaired tire and wheel be washed on both sides [:0] and the pebbles be pried out of the tread(!) before it was returned to the customer! Find that level of service or care today...or that of Harley's lubing all the body parts that were supposed to be done!

I suspect Uncle Harley and Uncle Milt have already made each-other's acquaintance by now and are swapping tall tales. RIP. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

[V] Sorry to hear of that, Dale. I remember your telling me that story about Uncle Harley some time ago. As you say, such craftsmanship in small details is rare today.

You may remember my Uncle Milton Palma, Dad's younger brother and a favorite of mine that passed away in December 1995. When Uncle Milt ran he and Dad's new Mobil gas station in Paris after Packard went out of business, Uncle Milt had traits similar to those of Uncle Harley.

To wit: When a customer brought in a flat tire for repair, Uncle Milt would always insist that the repaired tire and wheel be washed on both sides [:0] and the pebbles be pried out of the tread(!) before it was returned to the customer! Find that level of service or care today...or that of Harley's lubing all the body parts that were supposed to be done!

I suspect Uncle Harley and Uncle Milt have already made each-other's acquaintance by now and are swapping tall tales. RIP. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I think that's called "Always give a little more than expected."

Harley's employer was always concerned with the amount of materials he used but was smart enough to know what brought in a lot of his business.

sigpic

Comment

I think that's called "Always give a little more than expected."

Harley's employer was always concerned with the amount of materials he used but was smart enough to know what brought in a lot of his business.

sigpic

Comment

My sympathies to you on the loss of your Uncle Harley. I love stories like yours, about people who cared about doing the job right and gave more than expected.

This reminds me of an experience my Dad had decades ago with a '55 Chevy, that had a problem with the adjustment of the manual column shifter. He paid at least one repair shop to fix it, but it still wasn't "right". Finally he found a good mechanic, and Dad had the car in for some other unrelated repair. When he got the car back, the mechanic said, "Oh, by the way, I didn't like the way it shifted so I adjusted it." (No charge, of course.) Dad said it had never worked as well as this guy made it work. Like a hot knife through butter. I wonder how many shops do something like this anymore just because it's a nice thing to do? Oh wait, I know the answer: ZERO.

Comment

My sympathies to you on the loss of your Uncle Harley. I love stories like yours, about people who cared about doing the job right and gave more than expected.

This reminds me of an experience my Dad had decades ago with a '55 Chevy, that had a problem with the adjustment of the manual column shifter. He paid at least one repair shop to fix it, but it still wasn't "right". Finally he found a good mechanic, and Dad had the car in for some other unrelated repair. When he got the car back, the mechanic said, "Oh, by the way, I didn't like the way it shifted so I adjusted it." (No charge, of course.) Dad said it had never worked as well as this guy made it work. Like a hot knife through butter. I wonder how many shops do something like this anymore just because it's a nice thing to do? Oh wait, I know the answer: ZERO.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Blue 15G

Oh wait, I know the answer: ZERO.
                            Actually, that's not entirely true, Blue. There are shops that go the extra mile, but they just don't advertise because they rarely have to. In any community, if a person asks around long enough, they may well find such a shop, or an individual mechanic working in an independent shop.

The problem is all the franchised shops like Midas, etc, where they are so bottom-line driven that there is little room for niceties because they would cost more in terms of time, or maybe expose the place to liability "corporate" doesn't want. [xx(]

I'd agree, such individual shops and individual persons are on the wane, but they're not gone yet. [^] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Blue 15G

Oh wait, I know the answer: ZERO.
                              Actually, that's not entirely true, Blue. There are shops that go the extra mile, but they just don't advertise because they rarely have to. In any community, if a person asks around long enough, they may well find such a shop, or an individual mechanic working in an independent shop.

The problem is all the franchised shops like Midas, etc, where they are so bottom-line driven that there is little room for niceties because they would cost more in terms of time, or maybe expose the place to liability "corporate" doesn't want. [xx(]

I'd agree, such individual shops and individual persons are on the wane, but they're not gone yet. [^] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                              X