No announcement yet.

shipping parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whenever I need to ship big parts, I ship FedEx ground. They always seem to be cheaper than UPS.

John Reich
    Long Island Chapter Spotlight Editor & Webmaster
    John Reich

1955 Studebaker President
    1960 Studebaker Lark (For Sale)
    1962 Studebaker GT Hawk

Comment

whenever I need to ship big parts, I ship FedEx ground. They always seem to be cheaper than UPS.

John Reich
      Long Island Chapter Spotlight Editor & Webmaster
      John Reich

1955 Studebaker President
      1960 Studebaker Lark (For Sale)
      1962 Studebaker GT Hawk

Comment

Friend of mine sold some hit and miss flywheels on ebay. High bid was $5 dollars from a guy in Scandinavia. He needed them for a factory still under waterwheel power and was happy to pay the $300 shipping.

Not really pertinent to Russ's question but, then again, when you buy something, the price must be tempered by the cost and the need.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Friend of mine sold some hit and miss flywheels on ebay. High bid was $5 dollars from a guy in Scandinavia. He needed them for a factory still under waterwheel power and was happy to pay the $300 shipping.

Not really pertinent to Russ's question but, then again, when you buy something, the price must be tempered by the cost and the need.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Brad,

Speaking of Scandanavia, I sold a beater 2R5 pickup to a friend of mine in Eastern Virginia who had a friend in Sweeden. As I recall, I got $150 for the truck, but it was rotted with honeysuckle growing in the cab.

George put it into a shipping container with another vehicle and a pile of parts and sent it out from Norfolk. When his friend got it, he passed it to another man who owned an antique/junque shop who wanted it as advertising yard art.

I got word back about 3 months ago that the store owner owed taxes and the Sweedish equivalent of the IRS had siezed the truck to recover the money owed! [:0] I guess it went to auction and a new owner.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
            Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Brad,

Speaking of Scandanavia, I sold a beater 2R5 pickup to a friend of mine in Eastern Virginia who had a friend in Sweeden. As I recall, I got $150 for the truck, but it was rotted with honeysuckle growing in the cab.

George put it into a shipping container with another vehicle and a pile of parts and sent it out from Norfolk. When his friend got it, he passed it to another man who owned an antique/junque shop who wanted it as advertising yard art.

I got word back about 3 months ago that the store owner owed taxes and the Sweedish equivalent of the IRS had siezed the truck to recover the money owed! [:0] I guess it went to auction and a new owner.

Gary

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

Comment

The post office has click-n-ship... you print your own postage label, hit Carrier Pickup, affix label, and leave it out for your carrier- DONE. No need to leave home, wait in line, etc... plus you get free delivery confirmation! Can't see anything that beats it- try it out!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

The post office has click-n-ship... you print your own postage label, hit Carrier Pickup, affix label, and leave it out for your carrier- DONE. No need to leave home, wait in line, etc... plus you get free delivery confirmation! Can't see anything that beats it- try it out!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Ahhh, Sweden (emitting appropriate sigh)... Land of my forebears.
                    I didn't realize you could get clipped for oweing taxes in Sweden. I thought the employer just sent your paycheck to the government and they returned anything that might be left over.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Ahhh, Sweden (emitting appropriate sigh)... Land of my forebears.
                      I didn't realize you could get clipped for oweing taxes in Sweden. I thought the employer just sent your paycheck to the government and they returned anything that might be left over.

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Being self employed may have led to his troubles......

Comment

Being self employed may have led to his troubles......

Comment

I don't know about any of you, but there is now way I would choose the USPS as my primary choice. They can't even get standard mail to me, let alone other packages. Once they lose something, forget about ever seeing it again. With FedEx and UPS I can see exactly where it is at all times. Never any issue collecting on damaged product etc. You pay for what you get...just my 2 cents.

Chris Kot
                            '63 GT Hawk
                            '37 Dictator Rod Project

Comment

I don't know about any of you, but there is now way I would choose the USPS as my primary choice. They can't even get standard mail to me, let alone other packages. Once they lose something, forget about ever seeing it again. With FedEx and UPS I can see exactly where it is at all times. Never any issue collecting on damaged product etc. You pay for what you get...just my 2 cents.

Chris Kot
                              '63 GT Hawk
                              '37 Dictator Rod Project

Comment

I've been pretty happy with USPS - in 10 years of ebaying I've only had 1 package lost and 2 damaged items (one I shipped and another that came to me.) On the one I shipped, I had a bit of a hassle getting the insurance to pay off - Postal Inspectors couldn't believe that a Bob Seger album could be worth $50 - but otherwise the service has been good. I use mostly Priority.

With UPS, I have to agree with Biggs & Guido. I used to ship heavy stuff from UPS over the counter, and their website calculations NEVER matched what the counter charged me. But when I opened an online account and started printing my labels at home and handing them off the the counterbot, my problems ended.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                                '63 F2/Lark Standard
                                http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X