Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studelover
    replied
    There was a junk yard in Prince Fredrick called Golf's junk yard. I was there in 1997. I was putting a 1955 chevy together at the time. I took a tour with the owner looking for a front seat(so me and the wife could get close while riding) No front seats to be had, some trim parts and the like. I kept seeing these cars with the wrap-around-rear glass. The guy told me he had about 8 of them, he also had a Packard section, all these cars were elavated above the ground. Then in the tear 2001 I went back there, looking for parts for a 1940 Plymouth I managed to get to the area where the older cars were, below the hill there were larks and starlight coupes. These were whole cars, I was told they were no run cars, that is cars that the owners could not get running and never in an accident.I took alot of pic's. I went back 2004, the original owner died and the son was in charge he sold the land to developers and had very little time to remove things, the Bull dozer crushed must stuff removing other cars. Someone came with a tractor trailer and bought all the Packards as for all those studes.....they were crushed, I wish I could have saved just one

Studebakers forever![/img]

Leave a comment:

• studelover
    replied
    There was a junk yard in Prince Fredrick called Golf's junk yard. I was there in 1997. I was putting a 1955 chevy together at the time. I took a tour with the owner looking for a front seat(so me and the wife could get close while riding) No front seats to be had, some trim parts and the like. I kept seeing these cars with the wrap-around-rear glass. The guy told me he had about 8 of them, he also had a Packard section, all these cars were elavated above the ground. Then in the tear 2001 I went back there, looking for parts for a 1940 Plymouth I managed to get to the area where the older cars were, below the hill there were larks and starlight coupes. These were whole cars, I was told they were no run cars, that is cars that the owners could not get running and never in an accident.I took alot of pic's. I went back 2004, the original owner died and the son was in charge he sold the land to developers and had very little time to remove things, the Bull dozer crushed must stuff removing other cars. Someone came with a tractor trailer and bought all the Packards as for all those studes.....they were crushed, I wish I could have saved just one

Studebakers forever![/img]

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    And to think I looked long and hard before I found a decent front fender for my 57 President! Heck, there was a yard not far from here with several Fords of that vintage![8]
    See! Them Junkya... er ah RECYCLING TECHNICIANS have ALL the answers! And me, left to shuffle thru my parts books to come up with a fair guess.[V]

Good goin' Mark! I'da done the same thing.

There's an independently owned, help yourself yard in Fresno. They had a Hawk in there some years back. A '60 I think. I could see it in the holding area where they'd keep cars until they had space to set them out for picking. I could see it was STUFFED full of trim and other items and I was anxious to find out when it might find it's way out to where I could get things off it.
    When I finally got an answer from the yard manager, he told me that they WEREN'T gonna set the Hawk out because no one ever takes anything off a Studebaker. (!) His reasoning was that it was just gonna take up valuable yard footage where they could put out a Chevy or a Toyota - something that would pay for it's time there!
    I argued that I was there and I had cash in my pocket for some of the things I could see in the car! He finally conceded to bring it out for me to pick over - RIGHT THEN AND THERE. He did and I stripped it as much as I could. Knowing I wouldn't have enough cash for all the stuff I stripped that evening, I stuck alot of stuff in a brandX that was nearby. I took what I could that night and came back the next day to collect the rest.[^] Not long after that, there were two '62 Larks set out for picking.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    And to think I looked long and hard before I found a decent front fender for my 57 President! Heck, there was a yard not far from here with several Fords of that vintage![8]
    See! Them Junkya... er ah RECYCLING TECHNICIANS have ALL the answers! And me, left to shuffle thru my parts books to come up with a fair guess.[V]

Good goin' Mark! I'da done the same thing.

There's an independently owned, help yourself yard in Fresno. They had a Hawk in there some years back. A '60 I think. I could see it in the holding area where they'd keep cars until they had space to set them out for picking. I could see it was STUFFED full of trim and other items and I was anxious to find out when it might find it's way out to where I could get things off it.
    When I finally got an answer from the yard manager, he told me that they WEREN'T gonna set the Hawk out because no one ever takes anything off a Studebaker. (!) His reasoning was that it was just gonna take up valuable yard footage where they could put out a Chevy or a Toyota - something that would pay for it's time there!
    I argued that I was there and I had cash in my pocket for some of the things I could see in the car! He finally conceded to bring it out for me to pick over - RIGHT THEN AND THERE. He did and I stripped it as much as I could. Knowing I wouldn't have enough cash for all the stuff I stripped that evening, I stuck alot of stuff in a brandX that was nearby. I took what I could that night and came back the next day to collect the rest.[^] Not long after that, there were two '62 Larks set out for picking.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    Man, I really want one of those 69 Studebaker convertibles!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    Man, I really want one of those 69 Studebaker convertibles!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Leave a comment:

• 65cruiser
    started a topic My Pull-A-Part Story with a Studebaker Education

My Pull-A-Part Story with a Studebaker Education

I've read Leonards thread about his search for wheels for his 52 at the local pull-a-part yard and it was thought provoking. I wondered if it was possible to peruse parts in these yards for resale on Ebay. Biggs responded with a resounding YES since he's found valuable parts there.

Here's the thread: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...?TOPIC_ID=9132
    So, since today was a bright and shiny day, I decided to visit my local Pull-A-Part franchise. I probably would NOT have gone, but they have an online database and lo and behold what did I find...no, not a Studebaker, but a 1966 Rambler. Studebaker is not even in their database (although Avanti is). So, my thinking was if they have a 1966 Rambler, I wonder what else they might have on the lot?

To my surprise, they have an ANTIQUE section. There was nothing there made after 1969 and there were a bunch of cars there--sadly no Studebaker's. But, I did find the Rambler, and it was a ragtop at that. Too far gone for a restoration, but still carried a lot of good parts. Some cars of note were a 1964 Imperial, 1965 Dodge Polaris, 1960 Buick Electra, several Darts & Valiants and trucks of various vintage. Really rusty and really picked over. Still, I had a blast.

Anyway, while I was leaving I noticed a sign that said you could sign up to be notified if a particular car came in. I went up and asked the gentleman at the counter if he could let me know if any Studebaker's ever appeared on the lot. I got an educamation on Studebaker!

He said "naw, never get no Studes in here, that's way too old". I said "well, you've got a 66 Rambler back there, just figured you might see a Studebaker from time to time". "Nope, never seen one, but my mother had one. It was a 1969 Lark--that was the last year they made em you know. It was a 2-door convertible." Um hummm I said. Then he proceeds to tell me "you know, from 1955 to 1958, you couldn't tell a Studebaker from a Ford, Studebaker actually copied the design of the late 50s Fords to the extent that even the front fenders are interchangeable." Uh huh said I. Then I told him "did you know they also had Ford motors?". Yup, says he, been using them for years......"

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist[}][]

So, I went to the parking lot and climbed into my Cruiser, safe in the notion that at least I had one that was made a full 4 years before Studebaker quit the car business, and safe in the fact that I could still buy those Ford engine parts.[}]

Working...
X