This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where My Daytona's Engine Is

It's no secret that my car was bought as a roller. As for the engine, this is where it's at;

Don't get the wrong idea. I bought the car to modify. If I was restoring the car though, I wuld have wanted the original drive train, and the engine was alreay on the engine stand as rebuilt. I was offered the 259 out of this car, but declined.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
    Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
    LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com

WOW! Again I ask?? Do these people know something that I don't?

What a starting bid, seems a real waste of money to list a car with such a hi starting point when it "might Have" gotten "on the money" if it had a more realistic initial bid.

Looks like a nice car, however he "cut" the springs, which in my book is a no no if you are really wanting to engineer a car that has the front end geometry and handling along with a decent ride that could be accomplished by going the correct route with design engineering instead of "cutting" engineering.

I looked at that listing as a possible for my "driver" but not with that starting bid-I'm still looking to get back in the "drivers seat" (Studebaker, that is)
    Louis

Comment

He had this up a while back. the bid got up to $3500 or so. Needless to say he had a high reserve on it. Having seen that car in person, it is a nice solid car. There's also a gold '64 Commander that a guy in Detroit is trying to get $8500 for. I don't thing either will fetch more than $4000, but that's just my guess. The gold one is owned by a dealer which explains a lot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
      Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
      LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gaboy

WOW! Again I ask?? Do these people know something that I don't?

What a starting bid, seems a real waste of money to list a car with such a hi starting point when it "might Have" gotten "on the money" if it had a more realistic initial bid.

Looks like a nice car, however he "cut" the springs, which in my book is a no no if you are really wanting to engineer a car that has the front end geometry and handling along with a decent ride that could be accomplished by going the correct route with design engineering instead of "cutting" engineering.

I looked at that listing as a possible for my "driver" but not with that starting bid-I'm still looking to get back in the "drivers seat" (Studebaker, that is)
        Louis
        I agree on the starting bid, Louis. However, I don't think it would sell even with a realistic starting bid. There is a reserve ON TOP of that $8k opener. I'm sure he would like to get his money out of it (and I'm sure he's got a LOT sunk in this car), but the market doesn't really care how much money got sunk in the car. It is a nice car all the way around, however. I'd take it in a minute .

On the cut coils...I did that on my '54 Street Rod. I am very happy with the results. It rides just a little stiffer than stock, and handles as good as stock (maybe a little better). I have added the late antisway bar which made a big difference too.

Unfortunately, no one (that I know of) is making dropped spindles for our Studes ('51-66). If you want an "engineered" drop you have to do a brand X clip, a Fatman type sub frame, or Phantom's set up. All are rather pricey and involve a fair amount of skill and knowledge. The cut coils won't work if you want a G Machine (but then either does the stock Stude suspension).

-Dick-
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:On the cut coils...I did that on my '54 Street Rod. I am very happy with the results. It rides just a little stiffer than stock, and handles as good as stock (maybe a little better). I have added the late antisway bar which made a big difference too.
          My 'Sheba does not have an original Stude front end. [:0] It has a Mustang II front end. [:0] We cut the springs on it. [:0] It does just fine [:0] thank you very much. [:0]

It's all about knowing what you are doing, or contracting someone that knows what they are doing. [:0]

[:0]

Dave's Place
          Studebaker Emporium
          sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Studedude

My 'Sheba does not have an original Stude front end.
            [:0]

-Dick-
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick;
              How that new red/white Hawk coming along? You really got me going by sending that pic to me the other day! (freight would have killed me!)

The last "field car" I had with Studebaker (in Portland) was a package car Hawk. Drove that boy all over the west coast! Should have bought that thing-but who knew?
              I was just thinking of getting back east to where my "roots were & making a living, beside, at that time I was in "love" with my new bride.
              Now the new bride is gone also (what a relief!) but WISH I had kept the R1 package car. Could have gotten it for around $2200.

Louis
              still looking for a driver

Comment

quote:[:0]

Dave's Place
                Studebaker Emporium
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Studedude

[8D]

-Dick-
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gaboy

Dick;
                    How that new red/white Hawk coming along?
                    Shagging a few parts for it. Placed an order with SI for some "essentials". Got the AFB soaking in the magic cleaner. Ordered the Production Record from the Stude Museum. Looking for some disk brake wheels to replace those (butt ugly) mags. Saw my first stock Studie dual point distributor when I peeked under the disty cap today. Every one of these Studes is fun...even if I only get to own them a little while

-Dick-
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick if you too busy you could sell it to me n i will take care of the work for you.i want to paint it a black cherry made by chrysler.

Comment

Working...
                      X