This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling a car @ York: Newbie Qs

I'm planning on taking my 63S-Y6 to York on Saturday and putting it in the car corral. I'm a PA resident and York is slightly under a 2-hour drive for me each way. The car is a driver and I'd be driving it there under its own power (i.e., not trailering it in).

I'm not sure how car transactions go down at York. Cash? Check? Is there a notary on site for transfer of title? I've never bought or sold a car outright in PA (just two trades for new cars; I bought the '63 in NJ); I printed out a sheet "Buying or Selling your Car in PA" from Penndot, which helps but not completely. It talks about signing over the title and removing the license plate. There's info on obtaining temporary plates but that doesn't happen at York, does it? Penndot says proof of insurance is required before that can happen. Seems like all the seller is responsible for is filling the buyer's name and signing the title before a notary, verifying the odometer reading, and removing the license plate.

Any info would be helpful. TIA.

I have bought and sold cars at York. I have paid and accepted both cash and checks. I'll take a check from someone well known to me, and most sellers will take my check. When selling, I just hand the signed title over and I'm done. When buying, I do the reverse.
    It's up to the new owner to figure out how to get tags and get the car home, nothing at the fair ground to help. Often buyers will leave the car with a local member until he comes back with tags or a trailer. Most buyers did not come intending to buy a car, so they have to make arrangements on the fly.
    BTW, I'm bringing my 63 rag top for a pre ebay sale, but expect to bring it home for the brand X buyers on ebay.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 Daytona Convert.

JDP Maryland

Comment

I have bought cars at York and Reedsville. I have always found that cash works best. The seller just signs over the ownership (title), gives a Bill of Sale and the rest is up to the buyer. I remember finding a Notary to get the signatures notorized (I think this is a Pennsylvania requirement. It is not needed in New York.). I have driven cars home on dealer plates and made arrangements for later pick up.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen, for the replies. I'm not sure I qualify as "local" but then again, I'm < 2 hours from York and actually a lot closer to I-95 and the PA Turnpike. So if someone wanted to arrange to pick it up at a later date it might be easier for them to just come to my house and do so.

JDP: I look forward to seeing that '63 ragtop; I just may not want to park too closely to it! j/k

Comment

The rag top is standing tall now. New top, NOS top motor, rebuilt the shift linkage, new rear spring bushings and more. Shines like a new penny. Hardest thing was replacing the clock fuse when I let the battery run down with the lights on.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          63 Daytona Convert.

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
          X