This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M5's

Not that I'm doing this right away or anything, but I've always wanted to do a complete restoration on a '40's pick-up truck. After seeing Gary Ash's website on his, it's peaked my interest a little more.

I'm hoping once I get a chance to set up shop here in Florida and get my Daytona down here that I'll be able to take an extra stray truck in as a 'side' project (don't they all start out this way [}]?). I've always liked the '41 to '48 M5's. How hard is it to find one in 'decent' condition? Other than cab corners and cab floors, what should I look for? What was available as an option (radio, heater and..)? I know some stuff is avialable as NOS and reproduction, but what is parts procurement really like?

Don't get me wrong, I like Studes, but I'll also be looking at...

* 1942-1947 Fords
    * 1948-1954 Dodges
    * 1941-1949 Internation KB

I'm going to try and find something that parts won't be an impossibility, which may exclude an International. So come on guys, give me the skinny on these trucks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
    Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
    LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com

M5s show up in Turning Wheels several times a year. I am sure you could find one in decent condition, probably easier than you could find a Ford that hasn't been cut up and hot rodded. As for options, other than the radio and heater you mentioned, you could get a caravan top. Thats about it. In rebuilding my M5, I have had very little trouble locating parts. SASCO still has a reasonably good supply, as do most of the other Studebaker vendors. Also, there seems to be quite a few parts trucks out there. With the exception of fenders, most body part from the larger M15 trucks fit. A few suppliers in the hot rod industry are also starting to stock replacement Studebaker parts. For example, Eaton carries new springs. As I have a friend rebuilding an early 50s Dodge, I can tell you that Studebaker parts are much easier to find than Dodge. As for the binder (International), they are neat trucks but parts are pretty iffy.

Of course, Ford has the best parts availability. Hell, you can order a new 1956 Ford pickup with a fiberglass body and modern chassis. Stick a 350 Chevy in it, and you've got one of several hundred, if not thousand belly-button trucks.

One problem with the M is power. That little 6-banger won't handle highway speeds or hills. I put a 259 in my M5--a fairly simple installation and it keeps it Studebaker. If I build another one, I would go with one of Cathcart's souped up sixes, or something similar, and some decent gearing. Unusual, fun, and with power enough to be drivable.

jj

Comment

So what are the big differences between the trucks? I know an M5 is a 1/2 ton. What about the M15 and M16? Is one of these (M15) a 3/4 ton truck? And isn't the M16 a 1 1/2 ton truck?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

So what are the big differences between the trucks? I know an M5 is a 1/2 ton. What about the M15 and M16? Is one of these (M15) a 3/4 ton truck? And isn't the M16 a 1 1/2 ton truck?

M16 is a 1 1/2 ton. M15 is a 1 ton (no 3/4 ton in the lineup). M15's with the 120" wheelbase could be ordered with a pick up box...larger than the M5's box (M5's had a 113" wheelbase). M5's and M15's had the 170" Champion motor. M16's had the 227" Commander motor.

-Dick-
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Tom ,there is 2R5-12 on ebay 49 model . But its in oregon.Now that would be a trip from fla.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude freak

Tom ,there is 2R5-12 on ebay 49 model . But its in oregon.Now that would be a trip from fla.
            Well, I towed my Daytona from Lake Tahoe to Detroit...

Actually, nothing against a 2R5, but I really like the M5's and would rather find on of those. I'm hoping there will be a decent truck in the SE (one brand or other). I know they're hard to find, but I'd really love a '42 M5. Not that there's a difference between the years, but those war year vehicles always interested me.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Not that I'm doing this right away or anything, but I've always wanted to do a complete restoration on a '40's pick-up truck.
              Here you go, Tom...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...QQcmdZViewItem

-Dick-
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

That's a nice truck. I think the reserve is going to be considerably higher than the $2K current bid. The side he has the pictures at shows he wants around $10K for it. I don't know if he'll get that much, but I'd bet his reserve is around $8K. I'm going to keep an eye on it though.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Not that I'm doing this right away or anything, but I've always wanted to do a complete restoration on a '40's pick-up truck.
                  Here you go, Tom...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...QQcmdZViewItem

-Dick-
                  And here is another, not mine. Just a shell, but it looks like it could be a good builder:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...15741427QQrdZ1

Ending soon, too.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I have a line on a '46 here in central Illinois. If anyone is interested,I could find out a little about it,or go look at it.
                    Supposed to be in a barn for years and years, they were asking 3K.
                    [probably twice what it's worth??]

1960 Lark
                    1961 Hawk
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not quite ready yet. But everyone wants twice what it's really worth . The two on Ebay are good examples of that.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Now this is crazy.The seller on e-bay has been a car dealer for over 30 years.Yet he dont know the difference between a studebaker and a c-10 c....y.

Comment

Tom,
                          Check out the one for $10K in the recent TW. If it truly is a ground up restoration, it would be far cheaper than doing it yourself...of course you wouldn't be able to have all the "fun" of restoring one

-Dick-
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Tom,
                            Check out the one for $10K in the recent TW. If it truly is a ground up restoration, it would be far cheaper than doing it yourself...of course you wouldn't be able to have all the "fun" of restoring one

-Dick-
                            Well, for all the work I'll need to do on the Daytona, the truck was to be a diversion on those days you get tired of working on the same thing. So in that instance, I'm definitely looking for a project. That second one would be interesting, but I don't know if I'd want to go all the way to IL for it. I still have to drag my Daytona down here as well as a good portion of my other stuff. So that's two trips to MI and back.

Hopefully when I get settled in I'll find something here in FL, GA or AL. I made the one trip to CA for one project, and I wouldn't want to do the same (or similar) for a second.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude freak

Now this is crazy.The seller on e-bay has been a car dealer for over 30 years.Yet he dont know the difference between a studebaker and a c-10 c....y.
                              Now, now. Did you read the auction text? He said flat out he knew it was not a C-10 Chevy, but that he could not find a way to list it as a Studebaker. Evidently he was having some trouble with listing the vehicle. Maybe unfamiliar with eBay? Or at worst, just trying a little keyword spamming? Not that THAT ever happens on eBay

Comment

Working...
                              X