This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbers Matching M5?

Hi everyone...I'm new to the Studebaker and trying to help a friend decipher if his 1946 Studebaker M-5 pickup has matching engine/chassis numbers.

Not sure if anyone here can help...but it would be greatly appreciated if anyone has suggestions or pointers on how to confirm this information. His M-5 has an 6cyl which appears to be original. He also has a spare motor that is exactly the same (so have 2 motors). We're not sure which of the two is the original to the vehicle (if either).

I tried to find what numbers I could and found the following:

1. Numbers on the engine that is in the truck: 199697 then just under that number: 2S Then there is a plate under the "2S", which reads: Z26 (I'm not positive on the 6 it was hard to make out)

2. Numbers on the reserve motor: 529278 then just under that number: 3 Then the plate under that number: G617

3. On the firewall in the motor compartment (part of the cab): there is a tag with a number: M-5-C2
    Under that tag, there is a number: 6531

4. The M-5 is from the state of Kansas, and he thought he heard a rumor that Kansas applied a unique identifying number to Studebakers which is their version of a VIN (6898).

5. Finally, the insurance papers state the VIN as 1M7695

Thanks for any direction/thoughts you may have!

Max

Max,
    You need to look for a stamped number on the engines , not cast.
    Should be a raised machined pad on the drivers side of the block toward the front. Studebaker used a "I" to represent ones(1) on all their serial #'s(engine and vehicle).
    Sounds like Kansas used the engine serial # for the VIN.
    Probably on the theory that it was easier to change serial # plates than engines.
    The 1M7695 sounds like an correct # for an early M-5. The Studebaker Truck Pages discussion forum has a search function at the top. Use it and or post your question there. This question comes up almost daily so read a page or three before asking.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by maxw

Hi everyone...I'm new to the Studebaker and trying to help a friend decipher if his 1946 Studebaker M-5 pickup has matching engine/chassis numbers.

Not sure if anyone here can help...but it would be greatly appreciated if anyone has suggestions or pointers on how to confirm this information. His M-5 has an 6cyl which appears to be original. He also has a spare motor that is exactly the same (so have 2 motors). We're not sure which of the two is the original to the vehicle (if either).

"I tried to find what numbers I could and found the following:

1. Numbers on the engine that is in the truck: 199697 then just under that number: 2S Then there is a plate under the "2S", which reads: Z26 (I'm not positive on the 6 it was hard to make out)

2. Numbers on the reserve motor: 529278 then just under that number: 3 Then the plate under that number: G617

3. On the firewall in the motor compartment (part of the cab): there is a tag with a number: M-5-C2
      Under that tag, there is a number: 6531

4. The M-5 is from the state of Kansas, and he thought he heard a rumor that Kansas applied a unique identifying number to Studebakers which is their version of a VIN (6898).

5. Finally, the insurance papers state the VIN as 1M7695

Thanks for any direction/thoughts you may have!

Max
      In order to determine the serial number of the engine that originally came with the truck, buy the original production order from the Studebaker National Museum. http://www.studebakermuseum.org/ Click on "SHOP: The Museum Store" . This document will not only tell you the engine serial number, but also the date the vehicle was manufactured, the options it was equipped with, and other neat stuff. Well worth the money. You will need the vehicle serial number in order to get the production order. The vehicle serial number will be on a plate probably affixed to the driver's side door jamb at about the 10 o'clock position. If not there, it should be on the driver's side seat riser. (this is probably where you will find the 6898 number)

You can decode your current motors here....

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_6data.asp

One appears to be from a 1942 Champion car and the other from a 1950 Champion car. Both these motors are essentially identical to the one that originally came with your truck. In StudeLand, I have not seen additional value attached to having a numbers match vehicle. It may happen with some of the rarer cars like a Packard Hawk, but most likely not with an M series truck.

The Insurance VIN number you quote is actually a motor number...probably the motor that the truck was originally equipped with. Many states used the motor number as the VIN until the late 1950's or so.

The cowl tag you quote decodes as follows...

M5 = 113" wheelbase M series truck made between 1941 and 1948
      C2 = Fixed windshield cab (all M series trucks except those made for the military from 1943-1945 and a few 1945 M15's had this cab)
      6531 = the sequential number of the cab. Cabs were introduced to the assembly line in somewhat of a random order so this number is generally meaningless.

Hope this helps.

-Dick-
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick - thanks so much for taking the time...that information was extremely helpful.

Thank you!

Max

Comment

Working...
        X