X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started on my GT Hawk

Hello All,

Probably forgotten me by now! I got alot of input while looking for a GT Hawk last fall and purchased my car from Dave Lester for Christmas. I've had too much work travel to do much so far, but I'm finally getting started. First things first: gotta quiet her down a little. She's currently running glass packs and I'd like to put something with a little less growl. I don't know if it's worth it to go stainless, but I might consider it if somebody has a good source/feedback. Thinking I will just go stock.

Ordered new Phantom interior that should be on the way in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty excited about getting rid of the red cloth inserts and having all black, correct vinyl. Any good sources for Stude seatbelts? Also, are there anchor points in the floorboard for lap belts on a 62? I haven't pulled the carpet back to check yet...too cold and it won't quit raining long enough to pull her outdoors. There are some original belts that were in the trunk with Stude closures on them. I'd like to incorporate those with new webbing if possible.

Last item (for now....), I found some posts about Gabriel Classic shocks. Looks like under $100 for all 4. Are they pretty good?

Sorry to be so long winded.....

If you pick this one up, Dave, she's doing great!

Thanks,
    Terry

You can have the seat belt restored by Ssnake-Oyl Products. They can redo the buckles as well as the webbing.

Ssnake-Oyl Products - http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
    Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
    LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Buy the reproduction belts from Studebaker International or Sasco. (about $30 each) I paid Snake Oli over $400 to restore my 57 Golden Hawk belts because no repro was available.You have factory holes for front and rear belts.
      The shocks are sold by Autozone for $14.95 each.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
      64 GT Hawk
      64 R2 4 speed Challenger
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      63 Daytona Convert.
      53 Street rod
      JDP Maryland

Comment

If you haven't done so, I'd heartily recommend joining the SDC. The magazine alone is worth the money.

Anyway, in the back of TW Magazine there's a vendor called Silvertone Exhaust Systems 519-485-1966. If I were buying new pipes, that's where I'd go. They have stainless for $350 less mufflers--it'd be worth the money I think.

I think Nate used these on his 55. He could speak of them better than me.

Comment

quote:If you pick this one up, Dave, she's doing great!
          TERRY! I was thinking of you just this morning! I thought about digging around to see if I could find your phone number, because we had not heard from you in so long! I'm proud she's doing great for you. I had no reason to believe otherwise, but it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop, waiting to get a follow-up report for so long! If it will help, and can be arranged, I'll take some of that rain off of your hands.

Phantom covers, eh? She will be happy with you, I wouldn't have stepped that tall.

I never looked under the carpet, either, but I'm sure there are anchor points there, because I'm sure those belts in the trunk were once installed in the car... I think the previous owner removed the belts when they redid the interior. Seems like the mounting bolts were still there, also?

Good to hear from you, and you must keep us (at least me) posted on your progress on the car! She is a sweetheart, and I am really pleased she has such a good home!

Dave's Place
          Studebaker Emporium
          www.davesplaceinc.com
          sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

If you haven't done so, I'd heartily recommend joining the SDC. The magazine alone is worth the money.
            I was going to pay for Terry's SDC membership, but IIRC, he beat me to it. So, he got a bottle of DWG instead.

Dave's Place
            Studebaker Emporium
            www.davesplaceinc.com
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

re: exhaust, I couldn't be happier with Silvertone. Not only did I have to make exactly one modification to the whole system to get it to fit right (one of the head pipes was about 1" too long) but Don traded me one of the main pipes no charge because basically I didn't mention that my car had a '63 Flightomatic when I was ordering (the late pipe is bent differently to clear the dipstick tube; the correct '55 pipe won't work) highly recommended. If you get pipes and mufflers from him the only other thing you'll need is four universal hangers, and I like to use stainless nuts and bolts because anything anywhere close to the exhaust likes to rust and seize up.

That said, if stainless is a little too much $$ for you, SASCO sells regular mild steel pipes. Same quality and fit, just not stainless.

As others have said, just get the repro belts, there is one subtle difference between them and the originals but for the life of me I can't remember what it is now. They are so close 99% of the people that see them won't know the difference. Yes, you do have anchors in your floor both front and rear.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the car; I remember seeing the pics of it when Dave had it and I remember thinking that that would make someone a nice driver.

nate

(but you don't like glasspacks? I don't get it.)

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              62 Daytona hardtop
              http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The factory belts have a depession shaped like the Studebaker sticker.

quote:As others have said, just get the repro belts, there is one subtle difference between them and the originals but for the life of me I can't remember what it is now.
                Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                64 GT Hawk
                64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                63 Daytona Convert.
                53 Street rod
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks for all the quick feedback! Ordered the shocks this morning and will check on the seatbelts later. Lord knows I don't want the AL Highway Patrol coming after me for failure to buckle up. There is one belt I found under the back seat...looks like a repro of some kind, but no Stude emblem. (The originals are not mounted, but in the trunk.)

I will check with Silvertone before I do anything about the exhaust. The pipes are acutally ok, so it may make more sense just to put stock mufflers for now and worry about stainless when I develop holes/leaks. Nate, the guys at the shop frowned at me about the glasspacks, too....[] I live at the bottom of a hill and when I pull out of the driveway, it sounds like the biggest Harley in the world. The neighbors do not appreciate it. It's also pretty loud when just cruising around.

I put two buckets outside for you last night, Dave. Got plenty of rain. Now, how should we ship it?

Comment

re: the biggest Harley in the world, is that a *bad* thing? <G>

seriously, if you prefer a quiet ride, you might want to go with the "stock" mufflers not the "loud tone" ones then. I have the "loud tone" on my '55 and with the larger '55 tailpipes, they do have a nice bark to them. They're basically "turbo" style mufflers made to look like the stock ones.

If you have glasspacks on your car, you may want to take a close look at the exhaust pipe diameters, it may be a muffler shop job and correct, stock mufflers may not work (although it might be a perfectly functional exhaust system.) I do know that the stock mufflers have two different pipe sizes for inlet/outlet and most glasspacks do not; that's why I say this.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    62 Daytona hardtop
                    http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by TClanton1

Thanks for all the quick feedback! Ordered the shocks this morning and will check on the seatbelts later. Lord knows I don't want the AL Highway Patrol coming after me for failure to buckle up. There is one belt I found under the back seat...looks like a repro of some kind, but no Stude emblem. (The originals are not mounted, but in the trunk.)
                      First, let me say that it's always best to were a seat belt where available. Seat belts can and do save lives. But just so you are aware that vehicles that are older than a 1965 model are exempt from the seat belt law in AL. You won't get a ticket, even if the car has belts in it. As mentioned, if you have belts, it is better to use them. But it's not illegal not to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The Studebaker V-8 growl is music to my ears. [8D] I have Flow Master Dual exhaust on my Lark, I enjoy just sitting and listening to her growl at idle, and even better to hear her cackle when I step on the throttle [] OH HOW SWEET IT IS

Studebaker Fever
                        60 Lark
                        51 Champion
                        Phil

Studebaker Fever
                        60 Lark
                        56 Power Hawk
                        Phil Hendrickson
                        Arnold, Missouri

Comment

quote:I put two buckets outside for you last night, Dave. Got plenty of rain. Now, how should we ship it?
                          Just throw it in the air, and blow it this way! [}]

Dave's Place
                          Studebaker Emporium
                          www.davesplaceinc.com
                          sigpic
                          Dave Lester

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

First, let me say that it's always best to were a seat belt where available. Seat belts can and do save lives. But just so you are aware that vehicles that are older than a 1965 model are exempt from the seat belt law in AL. You won't get a ticket, even if the car has belts in it. As mentioned, if you have belts, it is better to use them. But it's not illegal not to.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

I agree that you should definately use the belts.
                            I don't know AL laws specifically, so I could be speaking out of turn.
                            But, most states have a few little catches.
                            If the car is not equipped with belts, they cannot ticket you. If the car IS equipped with belts and you are not wearing them, you can get a ticket, even if it was not required on that year car. There is usually a little "if so equipped" rule.

The same goes with optional turn signals and back-up lights on earlier cars. If you have them, they have to work properly.

Comment

Forget about you?
                              No way Terry...
                              But, you did make me laugh when you used the words
                              'Ordered new Phantom interior' and 'that should be on the way in a couple of weeks' in the same sentence...
                              Did you know that it takes a female elephant up to 22 months for gestation?[:0]
                              You bought a nice car from Dave....
                              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by TClanton1

Hello All,

Probably forgotten me by now! I got alot of input while looking for a GT Hawk last fall and purchased my car from Dave Lester for Christmas. I've had too much work travel to do much so far, but I'm finally getting started. First things first: gotta quiet her down a little. She's currently running glass packs and I'd like to put something with a little less growl. I don't know if it's worth it to go stainless, but I might consider it if somebody has a good source/feedback. Thinking I will just go stock.

Ordered new Phantom interior that should be on the way in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty excited about getting rid of the red cloth inserts and having all black, correct vinyl. Any good sources for Stude seatbelts? Also, are there anchor points in the floorboard for lap belts on a 62? I haven't pulled the carpet back to check yet...too cold and it won't quit raining long enough to pull her outdoors. There are some original belts that were in the trunk with Stude closures on them. I'd like to incorporate those with new webbing if possible.

Last item (for now....), I found some posts about Gabriel Classic shocks. Looks like under $100 for all 4. Are they pretty good?

Sorry to be so long winded.....

If you pick this one up, Dave, she's doing great!

Thanks,
                              Terry
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X