More questions on wheel rim sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More questions on wheel rim sizes

I went to a local junk yard to look for wider rims for my 52 Commander. This junk yard lets you pay a dollar and you can roam around and take off any part you want. They don't have any Studebakers, mostly 70-90s cars.

I found a 87 Chrysler Fifth Avenue and took off the wheels. When I got home and had the tires demounted, I was shocked to find that the rims were 8 inches wide. That is way too wide, right?

They only charge $6.74 for rims and I can take them back and exchange them, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what car I should look for to get 6 inch X 15 inch rims.

Below are some pictures of the car I got the rims from and some of the yard. It is a haven for young people (and us old folks) without much money. They even have a dolly that you can hoist engines out with. They let you have a wheelborrow to roll your finds out with.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

holy frugal, Batman, are you willing to pull parts and ferry them up here to DC? you could have a 200% markup and it'd still be cheaper than buying from Brandywine.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

holy frugal, Batman, are you willing to pull parts and ferry them up here to DC? you could have a 200% markup and it'd still be cheaper than buying from Brandywine.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Someone could probably do that and make money. Here is part of their price list. It is Chesterfield Auto Parts in Richmond, VA

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Someone could probably do that and make money. Here is part of their price list. It is Chesterfield Auto Parts in Richmond, VA

Comment

We have one of those "pull-a-part" places here. Prices are really cheap. I thought about perusing Ebay for valuable parts, then trying to go pull them on the cheap and resell.

Not enough time in the day for that

Comment

We have one of those "pull-a-part" places here. Prices are really cheap. I thought about perusing Ebay for valuable parts, then trying to go pull them on the cheap and resell.

Not enough time in the day for that

Comment

I still need a answer on what car I should look for the correct wheel size ( 6" x 15" )

Comment

I still need a answer on what car I should look for the correct wheel size ( 6" x 15" )

Comment

Heh - I've been scavenging from such yards since '83! Man, I made GOOD money off Stude and Rammer stuff early on - there were LOTS of these coming thru the yards at that time.
                    We've got three BIG chains of these yards here (in Calif) that I know of and lots of independent yards too. Although, admission is up to $2 bucks out here now![}]

Mark writes:"I thought about perusing Ebay for valuable parts, then trying to go pull them on the cheap and resell."
                    Trust me, it's DO-ABLE! I've done it although not much of late. I took a tailgate window motor out of a Travelall last year. Actually, someone had taken it out for me - it was just layin' there. I took it up front and tested it on a battery they have for such things. Tested good.
                    Sold it on ebay for $150.00 and I'd paid 12 bucks for it.[:0]

One thing about these yards is that they're really just a parts-picking stop before the cars are squished. If you see something you like - better get it quick! Cars rarely sit there more than 6 weeks before they go to the crusher to make room for a new candidate![xx(]

I'll add this: About a year ago, I spotted a '60 Lincoln in one of these yards. It was very tired, but lots of it's brightwork and stuff was intact and in good shape. I knew/know nothing about the Lincoln market or following, but I bought a few parts off it on speculation. That first day I think I spent $18 bucks on 3 or 4 items. To my happy surprize the stuff did well on ebay. Most of it went to Europe! I had several buyers/bidders E-mail me with requests for stuff. I wrote back and asked these folks WHAT was worth saving off the beast. Partly from their feedback and partly from my gut, I ended up buying something shy of $300 dollars worth of brightwork and locks and door handles, etc.. Turns out this thing used the same window motors as Avantis used as well! Last tally - my 300 dollar outlay netted $3K+!!![] Of course, I had about 12 hours of labor and a couple of 100-mile round trips to this particular yard, but I think it was worth it.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Heh - I've been scavenging from such yards since '83! Man, I made GOOD money off Stude and Rammer stuff early on - there were LOTS of these coming thru the yards at that time.
                      We've got three BIG chains of these yards here (in Calif) that I know of and lots of independent yards too. Although, admission is up to $2 bucks out here now![}]

Mark writes:"I thought about perusing Ebay for valuable parts, then trying to go pull them on the cheap and resell."
                      Trust me, it's DO-ABLE! I've done it although not much of late. I took a tailgate window motor out of a Travelall last year. Actually, someone had taken it out for me - it was just layin' there. I took it up front and tested it on a battery they have for such things. Tested good.
                      Sold it on ebay for $150.00 and I'd paid 12 bucks for it.[:0]

One thing about these yards is that they're really just a parts-picking stop before the cars are squished. If you see something you like - better get it quick! Cars rarely sit there more than 6 weeks before they go to the crusher to make room for a new candidate![xx(]

I'll add this: About a year ago, I spotted a '60 Lincoln in one of these yards. It was very tired, but lots of it's brightwork and stuff was intact and in good shape. I knew/know nothing about the Lincoln market or following, but I bought a few parts off it on speculation. That first day I think I spent $18 bucks on 3 or 4 items. To my happy surprize the stuff did well on ebay. Most of it went to Europe! I had several buyers/bidders E-mail me with requests for stuff. I wrote back and asked these folks WHAT was worth saving off the beast. Partly from their feedback and partly from my gut, I ended up buying something shy of $300 dollars worth of brightwork and locks and door handles, etc.. Turns out this thing used the same window motors as Avantis used as well! Last tally - my 300 dollar outlay netted $3K+!!![] Of course, I had about 12 hours of labor and a couple of 100-mile round trips to this particular yard, but I think it was worth it.

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes, 8 inches wide will most likely rub, 7 is passable, 6 is a safe bet.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Yes, 8 inches wide will most likely rub, 7 is passable, 6 is a safe bet.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter,
                            It's a long shot, Leonard, but see if they have any old Lincoln Versailles [:0] laying around; the little Lincoln that was based on the Ford Granada. If you find one with original 15" steel wheels on it, they should work.

A second possibility is a mid-90s Ford Ranger 2WD pickup with 15" base wheels on it.

Try to get the tires dismounted and measure the widths before you leave the yard. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter,
                              It's a long shot, Leonard, but see if they have any old Lincoln Versailles [:0] laying around; the little Lincoln that was based on the Ford Granada. If you find one with original 15" steel wheels on it, they should work.

A second possibility is a mid-90s Ford Ranger 2WD pickup with 15" base wheels on it.

Try to get the tires dismounted and measure the widths before you leave the yard. BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X