X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 Frank
    replied
    Come on down Stude Dave there will be plenty of people there to give you advice and I promise it won't take 18.20 seconds to get to the end because the distance is only 1/8th mile, you were on a 1/4 mile track were you not? Just kidding Dave.

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    I wonder if I can improve on my times at Portland all those years ago? I think my best was something like an 18.20? I know the car MUCH MUCH better now, as well as how to drive her! For the record that'd be in "Sweet Pea"- a '65 Cruiser 283/auto, PS, PDB, 3.07TT- at that time maybe 75K? I had to beat my Dad's '64 Daytona HT to win First in Bracket 'A', which I did 'cause he broke out- Sorry Dad! Now she's at about 265K and .030 over, bigger single exhaust, still a 2 barrel carb...

[8D]

StudeDave
    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
    '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
    '57 Commander 2dr
    '57 Champion 2dr
    '65 Cruiser

Leave a comment:

• 41 Frank
    replied
    For those of you who are planning to participate and have never been on a drag strip I do want to mention that our old cars for the most part do not have a radiator overflow catch container. You will be required to have a small container attached to your overflow hose to catch any spillage that may occur.This is something you can temporarily rig up without too many problems.

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    Gotta do it this year ( another truck Jeff )

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    [8D] Cool, Frank! Thanks for making the arrangements. BP

BP

Leave a comment:

• Studedude
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Count me in!!!
    Jeff[8D]
    [u]VAROOM!</u>

(2nd amber, right?) [8D]

Dave's Place
    Studebaker Emporium
    www.davesplaceinc.com

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Count me in!!!
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Ok I got it all set up for Friday the 29th of September from 3.00pm to 5.00pm for us Stude guys to have use of the track between those hours if anyone is interested, this is of course not sanctioned or sponsored by SDC but by the track. If that is not enough they have more open racing from 7.00 to Midnight.This 3 to 5 time will give everyone a chance to make the banquet if desired. The cost is $20.00 per entrant and $ 5.00 per spectator. Track name is Mid-America Motorplex.Its about a 30 minute drive from the motel if you are not driving an M-5.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/543822171/1543830857074401068bdDxyr#
    Wonder how our M-5 would do...

Matthew Burnette, the 15 year old Stude nut.
    [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg [/img]
    63 Daytona HT (my car)
    57 Silver Hawk
    51 Champ Starlight
    63 GT Hawk
    64 Commander Wagonaire
    59 Scotsman P/U
    79 Dodge Lil Red Express
    65 Triumph Spitfire
    MANY more Studes
    And a few parts cars
    http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101

Leave a comment:

• 41 Frank
    replied
    Ok I got it all set up for Friday the 29th of September from 3.00pm to 5.00pm for us Stude guys to have use of the track between those hours if anyone is interested, this is of course not sanctioned or sponsored by SDC but by the track. If that is not enough they have more open racing from 7.00 to Midnight.This 3 to 5 time will give everyone a chance to make the banquet if desired. The cost is $20.00 per entrant and $ 5.00 per spectator. Track name is Mid-America Motorplex.Its about a 30 minute drive from the motel if you are not driving an M-5.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by garyash

OK, here are a couple of slips from Charlotte from my M5. In the first one, I think I was running against a bright yellow modified '53/'54 hardtop, don't know the owner. In any event, whoever it was ran 7.897 for the 1/8th mile vs. my terrific 16.466. I guess I had twice as much fun going down the strip. The 2nd one was me running alone with a MUCH BETTER time of 15.925 and a whopping 43.5 mph. As I remember, Ted Harbit was running about 7.00 that day at 100 mph.

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    www.studegarage.com
    Much better 60' time on that second run. Must have been less tire spin

-Dick-

Leave a comment:

• garyash
    replied
    OK, here are a couple of slips from Charlotte from my M5. In the first one, I think I was running against a bright yellow modified '53/'54 hardtop, don't know the owner. In any event, whoever it was ran 7.897 for the 1/8th mile vs. my terrific 16.466. I guess I had twice as much fun going down the strip. The 2nd one was me running alone with a MUCH BETTER time of 15.925 and a whopping 43.5 mph. As I remember, Ted Harbit was running about 7.00 that day at 100 mph.

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    www.studegarage.com

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Great pictures!!! Let's see those time slips.

Does anyone have a good list of 1/4 mile times for stock Studes?

Leave a comment:

• Studedude
    replied
    quote:Thanks, Rick, and everyone else who tolerated a slug on the strip that day.
    Your truck is no, "Slug," Gary, and I still smile when I see pictures of you taking it down the strip!

Dave's Place
    Studebaker Emporium
    www.davesplaceinc.com

Leave a comment:

• Studedude
    replied
    quote:I told you to leave on the second to last yellow, and you did!
    HUH?! You said, "Leave on the SECOND yellow light!" [:0]

Dave's Place
    Studebaker Emporium
    www.davesplaceinc.com

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Gary,
    You showed more balls than most..
    You took a fresh restoration, with about 20 some odd miles on it and went and thrashed it at the drag strip.
    My hat was off to you there, fer sure!
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by garyash

I think a drag session at a national meet is a "must". I was at the 2002 drags in South Bend with my '65 Wagonaire. I picked up bad gas (as many others that day)and had a horrible time. But, when faced with "Spooky" (the Myers' Lark) at the line, a full out drag car, I could only laugh and enjoy the experience. In Charlotte in 2004, I brought the stock M5 with only a 100 miles on it since rebuild. I turned 42 mph in the 1/8th mile on my runs, while Chicken Hawk turned 107 mph on his, but my adrenalin level was at the top of the dip stick [we didn't run against each other]. Rick Cortier ran one session with me and feather footed his gas pedal to make good photos. Thanks, Rick, and everyone else who tolerated a slug on the strip that day. Everyone ought to do it at least once. It's not about winning - it's about participating with a bunch of gung-ho Stude guys!
    Gary Ash

Leave a comment:

Working...
X