X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garyash
    replied
    I think a drag session at a national meet is a "must". I was at the 2002 drags in South Bend with my '65 Wagonaire. I picked up bad gas (as many others that day)and had a horrible time. But, when faced with "Spooky" (the Myers' Lark) at the line, a full out drag car, I could only laugh and enjoy the experience. In Charlotte in 2004, I brought the stock M5 with only a 100 miles on it since rebuild. I turned 42 mph in the 1/8th mile on my runs, while Chicken Hawk turned 107 mph on his, but my adrenalin level was at the top of the dip stick [we didn't run against each other]. Rick Courtier ran one session with me and feather footed his gas pedal to make good photos. Thanks, Rick, and everyone else who tolerated a slug on the strip that day. Everyone ought to do it at least once. It's not about winning - it's about participating with a bunch of gung-ho Stude guys!

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    www.studegarage.com

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Ya did good!
    I told you to leave on the second to last yellow, and you did!
    (FYI, the race before was the other way around)
    Dave left the big red eye, and as soon as I saw him move, I left and red lit too... Since first is worst as far as red lights go..I won... But I never did catch Dave (as the picture clearly shows)
    That was a fun afternoon... Laid back, slow paced, an 1/8th mile track... $10 race fee..
    Hope we can pull it off near Omaha...
    Jeff

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

I have only been on a drag strip twice in my life... once in South Bend in '02, and once in Charlotte last year. Had a blast both times, and would do it again. If I could just figure out what those light pole things are all about, eh Jeff? (I followed Jeff's advice, with the following results):
    More pics, and the "rest" of the story here:
    http://www.davesplaceinc.com/charlotte2/charlotte2.htm

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    I like that pic...
    (No offense Mr. Jeff, but Sheba is a nice car too)

Matthew Burnette, the 15 year old Stude nut.
    [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg [/img]
    63 Daytona HT (my car)
    57 Silver Hawk
    51 Champ Starlight
    63 GT Hawk
    64 Commander Wagonaire
    59 Scotsman P/U
    79 Dodge Lil Red Express
    65 Triumph Spitfire
    MANY more Studes
    And a few parts cars
    http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstude101

Leave a comment:

• Studedude
    replied
    I have only been on a drag strip twice in my life... once in South Bend in '02, and once in Charlotte last year. Had a blast both times, and would do it again. If I could just figure out what those light pole things are all about, eh Jeff? (I followed Jeff's advice, with the following results):

More pics, and the "rest" of the story here:
    http://www.davesplaceinc.com/charlotte2/charlotte2.htm

Dave's Place
    Studebaker Emporium
    www.davesplaceinc.com

Leave a comment:

• 41 Frank
    replied
    I also participated in South Bend drags with my 63 daytona conv. 259 at 2 barrel had a grudge race with my buddy in his 60 Lark conv. About had enough time to eat my lunch before I got to the other end but had fun since I had not been on the drag strip since the 60's when I raced a 56 Power Hawk regularly in NHRA sanctioned races.

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    I'll be there , with my '60 Champ. The 1st drag I attended was at the 2002 SB meet. Chickened out running my truck ( was afraid of breaking something I guess) but I swore the next time I was going to run it . Just have to take it cool , its 1000 miles from home ! Too far to push her home but it would be neat to run her down at least once.....I'll be there

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

I have checked into the possibility of having some open drag racing on Friday of the meet in Omaha.They generally have evening open racing on the 1/8th mile strip and the manager has said they would probably be able to accomodate afternoon drags so those that want to attend the Banquet can do so. I would be willing to pursue it if there is enough interest, so lets hear from some of you.If the interest is there we'll go for it.Again you willbe joining other brands of cars as this is not an SDC event or local chapter sponsored.I am located in Omaha.
    Great idea, Frank! Count me in. I have not attended an SDC meet where there were drags, but I understand they have been the most talked about and most fun (completely unofficial) event of the meet where they have been held. I've also heard you don't need a race car to enjoy the afternoon. There are rumors that even Gary Ash in his bone stock (and beautiful) M series pick up made a few passes down the track . Having a time slip as part of the "documentation" for your Stude would be pretty neat [8D].

-Dick-

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Drags at Omaha

Drags at Omaha

I have checked into the possibility of having some open drag racing on Friday of the meet in Omaha.They generally have evening open racing on the 1/8th mile strip and the manager has said they would probably be able to accomodate afternoon drags so those that want to attend the Banquet can do so. I would be willing to pursue it if there is enough interest, so lets hear from some of you.If the interest is there we'll go for it.Again you willbe joining other brands of cars as this is not an SDC event or local chapter sponsored.I am located in Omaha.
Working...
X