This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: forum policy

I can understand why Bob wants us to e-mail him directly about comments about the forum policies, but I don't understand the implication that we are not allowed to debate those policies publicly within this forum. I hope that we are, in fact, "allowed" to discuss anything to do with the club, this forum, or Studebakers in general on this forum as long as we hold ourselves to standard etiquette.

I agree, but please don't lay the blame at Bob's feet, contact the board and let them kmow your feelings. It is our club after all, and the board should listen to our feelings either way. For my part, I'll never post a For Sale ad on here again in case that'll help. Since I do this as a hobby/business I don't want to have the baby tossed out with the bath water on my account.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 GT Hawk
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    53 Street rod
    JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP: I hope what you are saying is NOT that you are no longer going to give us a "heads up" when one of your cars is going to be offered on e-bay. But that is sure what it sounds like--and that stinks!!! Not your decision but the policy forcing you to the decision. Please rethink your decision. After all, you are not advertising the car but merely posting a newsworthy item for us on this forum.

wagone

Comment

A strict enforcement of that policy will only drive people AWAY from this forum, to non-SDC places on the web where they can freely share information. Instead, the policy should be revised to best serve SDC members, and posts should be moderated and managed in such a way as to prevent such abuses as blatant advertising by non SDC members or by vendors.

So far, I have not seen abuses like those. I think the vendors have shown that they know how to behave themselves on this forum.

However, I have often posted links to vendors' web pages if I felt that one of them had a part or service that met the need of a member who posted a question about their vehicle.

If the current policy does not change, will I be unable to help a member with a publicly placed link that many could benefit from viewing? If so, will I then be forced to answer emails from multiple people who see my post that now must say, "contact me by email if you want to know where I think you can get that part"?

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon
        Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

I am a new SDC member. I do not currently own a Stude. I am going to be looking for a car as soon as I educate myself a little more on them.

Seeing links on this forum to cars for sale is a big help to me. I can see what is out there, what prices the cars are really going for, and read what the members here think of them.

I totally understand that the SDC does not want this to turn into a spam and scam site. But I do not see where a link to another site where a car that is of interest to us is being sold is of any harm.

Here is an idea. Why not allow advertising, just like in TW? It could be some revenue for the club. It could / should be members only to post. It would also help people that are looking for cars and parts to find them without having to wait a month for the new TW. It might also keep some cars "in the club" that otherwise could wander off.

Part of my joining the SDC is to help me find a car. The links help.

Comment

This note posted on the news group might be a reason:

"I believe the problem is one of communication in a rapidly changing
            market, I have read of objections by older non-internet users that
            allowing the cars to be posted for sale on the internet was being
            unfair to those whose only access to the ads was through the print
            medium of TW, and that all of the desirable "deals" were now being
            snapped up before their monthly issue had even arrived, my
            understanding is that this was the reason behind SDC requesting a 20
            day delay after an issues mailing date before posting an item for sale
            on the SDC net site."

Of cource the TW deals are all snapped up by the folks that get their TW first class.

64 GT Hawk
            64 R2 4 speed Challenger
            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
            53 Street rod
            JDP Maryland

Comment

If I understand this correctly this is an SDC policy from the Board, not the webmaster interpreting the SDC policy?
              So if I have a Studebaker part that I would like to buy I am to wait for my copy of TW to appear? By the way it has never made it to my abode by the 10th of the month. As a matter of fact I am still waiting for this month's and tomorrow is the 10th. This is not the way I could ever purchase a part. So I would have to go to the SDC site anyhow and purchase whatever via the internet. This does not bode well for the hobby.
              I for one do not agree with this policy. It certainly should be revisited.

Mike
              www.packardhawk.com

Comment

I can understand both sides of the issue but need to voice my support of the policy.

This forum, indeed this entire website, is wholly licensed to, managed and paid for by SDC, yet is available to all internet users, whether SDC members or not.

Many people have joined SDC after finding this forum and listening to us extoll the virtues of membership.

The vast majority of the membership do not visit the website often and certainly do not participate in the forum. I can say that is their loss. This is a great forum with a lot of participation.

There is also a substantial percentage of members who do not and probably never will own a computer.

The forum is not the place to post a "for sale" ad. It costs nothing and benefits only those who read the forum.

There are 13,000 families who are dues-paying members of SDC. There are 1077 members in this forum. It is appropriate to discuss here those ads that would be of interest to us but THIS IS NOT THE APPROPRIATE PLACE TO POST THE AD!

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

quote:I have read of objections by older non-internet users that
                  allowing the cars to be posted for sale on the internet was being
                  unfair to those whose only access to the ads was through the print
                  medium of TW, and that all of the desirable "deals" were now being
                  snapped up before their monthly issue had even arrived.
                  If that is the reason, it's a bad excuse for a reason. Older people who can afford to buy a particular Studebaker vehicle for sale in Turning Wheels (usually offered in the magazine ads at significantly higher prices than what similar ones sell for on eBay) then they can afford a computer. Or, go to the public library and use it! The web is SO easy to use, no one can say they are too old to learn to use this forum.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
                  "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon
                  Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

I can understand both sides of the issue but need to voice my support of the policy.

This forum, indeed this entire website, is wholly licensed to, managed and paid for by SDC, yet is available to all internet users, whether SDC members or not.

Many people have joined SDC after finding this forum and listening to us extoll the virtues of membership.

The vast majority of the membership do not visit the website often and certainly do not participate in the forum. I can say that is their loss. This is a great forum with a lot of participation.

There is also a substantial percentage of members who do not and probably never will own a computer.

The forum is not the place to post a "for sale" ad. It costs nothing and benefits only those who read the forum.

There are 13,000 families who are dues-paying members of SDC. There are 1077 members in this forum. It is appropriate to discuss here those ads that would be of interest to us but THIS IS NOT THE APPROPRIATE PLACE TO POST THE AD!

Sorry, but this is exactly the reason this site needs a major overhaul. And as mentioned above, those who spent first class will get their TW sooner. Maybe to make things 'even' maybe 1st Class shouldn't be an option either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Lakeland, FL

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Maybe to make things 'even' maybe 1st Class shouldn't be an option either.
                      Does the post office get all of the extra $$ for the first class option, or does SDC also charge extra?

Dave's Place
                      Studebaker Emporium
                      www.davesplaceinc.com
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

I think a little extra to the club for the wrapper at least.
                        Periodical Class Mail: $27.50
                        First Class Mail: $60.50

Evne though I pay for first class, I'd have to agree it's very unfair to the rest since most of the bargains go to the first class members. Since I'm close to the printers, I still have a advantage, life is often unfair.

64 GT Hawk
                        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                        53 Street rod
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP I agree with you and with the ban on advertising, such as "For Sale - I have a 2006 Studebaker Champ, want $10.00 for it". but I think that if someone sees a Studebaker car or truck or parts for sale on the side of the road, this is a good venue to let folks know. Likewise, if there is a discussion on seat covers, such as which ones to use, I think that you should be allowed to answer that post and show what you have, so as to indicate quality, style, etc. I think we did this in a post before and that type of exchange should be no problem.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
                          Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

I
                            There may be 1077 members on this forum, but there are only 86 who post on a regular enough basis to have a star by their name. There are MANY that have posted once or twice. That's less than 1% of the membership that see ad postings.

Comment

MJEANSONNE, IT'S STRANGE YOU SHOULD MENTION SEATCOVERS. I READ ABOUT THEM ON THIS FORUM A WHILE BACK, I'M NOW READY FOR SEATCOVERS FOR MY STUDE AND CHECKED AND CANNOT SEEM TO FIND THEM IN T.W. GUESS I'LL HAVE TO SEARCH THIS SIGHT OR WHATEVER? CHAMP

Comment

Working...
                              X