This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quandary

I'm thinking of BUYING this car, but it is such an unusual beast, I'm having trouble deciding what kind of offer to make on it. I was going to ask if anybody here might be interested in buying it if I choose to pass on it, but I guess that is out of the question. I can, however, make that offer elsewhere, once I contemplate your input. (Hope it's OK to ask Stude guys to help me decide.) Be as hard on it as you like, it's not mine, and I'm NOT trying to sell it!

Anyhoo, (without showing any interest in buying it) please look it over, and help me from getting in over my head.

www.davesplaceinc.com/starlight/index.htm

Thanks in advance!

Dave's Place
    Studebaker Emporium
    www.davesplaceinc.com

Dave,
    I think you would make Sheba jealous if you bought it.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

Dave,I think you would make Sheba jealous if you bought it.
      She doesn't seem to mind too much, as long as she gets the heated garage.

Dave's Place
      Studebaker Emporium
      www.davesplaceinc.com
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

Guys,for some time now ,I've been wanting to buy a driver Champ pickup. Must be near central Illinois,good runner and driver,body not too important[I,m a body man].Please let me know if you have any leads. I've watched the ads in TW for about a year now,but nothing turns up in my area. Thanks.

Studieous Maximus
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Hey dude , I been eyeing that one myself.Looks good huh.If i'm outbid i hope its you.

Comment

It sure looks more like a 55 to me too. Even the dash is 55, but the gauges and some of the switches have been changed.

Paul

Comment

I'm waiting for a few comments as to a fair price, as is Studedude. What is something like this worth? It appears to me to need quite a bit of work and the V6 doesn't excite me (but then they never have in ANY application). I sure wouldn't go overboard on price myself. But I doubt it could be bought for what I'd be willing to pay. My first Stude years ago was a Loewy/Burke coupe and I'd love to have one again but I doubt it will happen. So......what's it worth? Still curious as to value. And no, Dillocrafter, I don't think Sheba would be jealous--she is to NICE to be jealous of that 53/55.

wagone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wagone

I'm waiting for a few comments as to a fair price,

wagone
                It is a nice looking car. The color, stance, wheels/tires are right on (IMHO). The painted front end looks much better (to me) than the chrome slathered on stock 55's, but it is still a '55 front end and not the more desireable 53-54. The fact that it is rust free is very attractive. The rear bumper is a '55 and (IMHO) looks too "heavy" for the car. (I would also guess that it is a '55 car and not a '53 as titled)

The engine is a real ho-hum. For the same amount of work, he could have installed a SBC. I know how some of you feel about the "bellybutton", but it would substantially increase the number of folks the car would apeal to. This engine really limits the pool of potential buyers. Someone who wants a modified Starlight that looks like a street rod, generally wants it to perform like a street rod. The pureists will be turned off by ANY transplant. This doesn't leave many buyers.

The interior would drive me nuts. At the minimum, a new interior (seats, panels, rugs, headliner) from JP (or similar vendor) is needed. A creamy white R and P interior would look sharp! The air is a nice feature. The missing radio is not a big deal.

I wonder if it was a 6 cylinder car to begin with and if it still has the 6 cylinder rear end and brakes? If so, they should be upgraded.

The car looks to be in #3 condition to me. The OCPG lists a #3 1955 Champion Deluxe coupe at $10,800. I would guess that the seller would have to wait a long time to find a buyer for this car at this price. I'd say it might bid to $8k or so on eBay.

Just my guess. The real value could be twice this or half this for all I know.

-Dick-
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'd take a chance on the car for resale if I could buy it for 12K or so, but I'd expect to pay more at retail. It's resale red and has a bunch of ebay "curb appeal".

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                  64 GT Hawk
                  64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                  63 Daytona Convert.
                  53 Street rod
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

My NADA appraisal guide doesn't list a '55 Champion Deluxe coupe. It does list a Regal coupe at $4825 (average) or a Commander Deluxe coupe at $4575 or a Commander Regal coupe for $9750 (all for average cars). I know these price guides can be all over the place (I have two other guides but we are in the process of moving, so.......). In my earlier comment I was tempted to say $5000 but it probably can't be bought for that. However the V6 is going to hurt it. NADA seems to be high on values compared to the other two sources I have. This car seems to need a lot and I wouldn't want to go beyond $5000 and I usually pay too much for what I buy. But then, while I'd love to have a Loewy/Bourke coupe again, this one doesn't trip my trigger. And if it did I probably couldn't see more than $6500-$7000. Just saw your post, John, and damn if $12,000 to resell doesn't seem way high; but you are the expert and I wouldn't want to disagree with you. The '53 you presently have on e-Bay seems nicer, but paint work (as we all know) is far from cheap. This old car hobby is crazy and trying to put a fair price on something as old as these cars is never easy. I keep telling my wife I'm not going to buy another as I always seem disappointed once I get my latest acquisition home.
                    wagone

Comment

I'm just basing it on my recent sales. For example, your 5K figure seems way out of line to me. As I recall, I sold a 53 Champion on ebay, missing driveline, gutted interior, bad paint, but solid body for $4700.
                      A nicer Champion C-K Studebob found for us bought over 11K. I agree that Studebaker folk won't pay that kind of money, but to a rodder, even 5K for a rust free body is a bargain.
                      Just got a call on the 53 from a guy that wnats it for a Pan Am race car, you just never know. I would think the car Dave is looking at would bring more than my 53. It has a weaker engine, but does not need the 3-5K paint job. That extra money would buy a lot of engine.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                      64 GT Hawk
                      64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                      63 Daytona Convert.
                      53 Street rod
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Things like what appear to be an exchanged serial number plate with matching title, really bother me. I was initially interested in this car and have discussed it with Dave. I have decided that it is not close enough to what I am currently looking for. With some detailing, mostly time and not money, I think that, with a good presentation, this car could bring $13K-$14K on eBay in the Spring.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

Guys,for some time now ,I've been wanting to buy a driver Champ pickup. Must be near central Illinois,good runner and driver,body not too important[I,m a body man].Please let me know if you have any leads. I've watched the ads in TW for about a year now,but nothing turns up in my area. Thanks.

Studieous Maximus
                          IMHO, you should give up on trying to buy a particular Studebaker "in your backyard." I know most of the Studebakers in this area and have previously owned many of them. I believe that all of the Studebaker vehicles that I have purchased in the past 15 years have been purchased at some distance and shipped to me. I just figure the cost of shipping in the price that I pay.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude freak

Hey dude , I been eyeing that one myself.Looks good huh.If i'm outbid i hope its you.
                            Thanks! But, where ya been bidding on it at?

Dave's Place
                            Studebaker Emporium
                            www.davesplaceinc.com
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

quote:With some detailing, mostly time and not money, I think that, with a good presentation, this car could bring $13K-$14K on eBay in the Spring.
                              Thanks for the input, guys... wish more of you would chime in, this is interesting to me. Make another guesstimate, Gary... I'm not looking for "Spring on Ebay after detailing value"... I'm wondering what it should be worth as-is, now. I know you have a lot of experience in following Stude prices, and would like your thoughts along those lines.

Dave's Place
                              Studebaker Emporium
                              www.davesplaceinc.com
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                              X