This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Scott

It's interesting that when I took the same general attitude to the website at the museum (i.e this is the 21st century and they should be utilizing the web to its fullest), I was blasted big time by Swifster.
    Scott, what I suggested with the museum was that a little patience was in order. The work to get the museum items moved and the doors opened would take presidence over updating the website, not that updating the website didn't need to be done. I would still stand by that. And obviously since then, the museum did update their website. Now if the SDC would just do the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

quote:Originally posted by larkvi
      As for elected officials, I don't recall ever having been able to vote for anyone on the national level beyond Zone.
      Every two years you get to vote for a Director. The ten Directors run the corporation, elect the Officers, make appointments, hire paid staff, etc.
      Directors are at the Zone level. IMO we should be able to directly elect the Officers. But that's just me; I'm probably drifting OT.

Comment

Well, patience did pay off Tom, and the new website at the museum is vastly better than the old one. I knew they could do it. I'm not always impatient, but for some reason that whole thing really bugged me. I was so excited about the new museum, I got disgusted after being let down so many times when I went to the site to see new and up-to-date pictures of the building progress. That wasn't done too well.

Actually, I've been pretty happy with the design and function of this site, but considering the topic of keeping up to date and also the issue of ads, I would agree that it's time to take a new look at the SDC site and see where it can be improved.

In regards, to ads on the site, I don't think it's a bad idea if it can be successfully managed. One thing I like about the printed ads in Turning Wheels is that it's a bit easier to look at old ads for information and amusement than it would be if they were online, since when old ads are deleted online, that's pretty much the end of their existence. The other thing I like about the printed ads is that some (maybe most?) of them are not posted anywhere online and so there might be a good deal there waiting to be found that might be overlooked by others. Who knows?
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I belong to a motocycle club with a similiar forum site. They have specified a specific section for classifieds only. Take a peek if anyone is interested. Seems like a nice compromise to keep "for sale" items out of general discussion or technical areas, but still accessible to those interested looking into them. As a note, it has not become an advertising medium, just another resource for those enthusiasts interested in these bikes (Honda Valkyrie)
          http://www.valkyrie-owners.com/forums/index.php

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

As for elected officials, I don't recall ever having been able to vote for anyone on the national level beyond Zone.
            Every two years you get to vote for a Director. The ten Directors run the corporation, elect the Officers, make appointments, hire paid staff, etc.
            Directors are at the Zone level. IMO we should be able to directly elect the Officers. But that's just me; I'm probably drifting OT.

I do not agree with your statement that "Directors are at the Zone level." Directors represent the SDC members of a Zone (like a Senator represents a geographic area and is elected by the voters of that area), but the Directors are responsible for running the international corporation. They are corporate directors, like for any other corporation. In any corporation that I hold stock in, the stockholders elect the directors and the directors select the Officers that run the corporation's day to day business. By New York State (where SDC is incorporated) not for profit corporate law, the directors are responsible for the corporation. SDC is run in conformance with corporate law and is similar to a republic or the US electoral college where people don't elect their president directly. SDC does not have much latitude in the way that it operates, in this respect, due to the restraints of corporate law. Within the past couple of years, the correct operation of SDC, Inc. was investigated by lawyers, both within SDC and outside paid consultants. Some changes were implemented that brought SDC,Inc. into full compliance.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

We can always go to http://www.classicar.com They have a studebaker location for chat. I find the no add policy difficult to understand. I bet is new members will come from the internet generation and not the grey headed generation I'm in.

Comment

Let's get back on topic.

No appreciable detraction from Turning Wheels. Perhaps it even encourages Forum readers to also inspect what is available in Turning Wheels classifieds, either online or in print.

My opinion is that the references and pictures I have seen on this web forum on Studebakers or parts that are for sale elsewhere just increases my interest in Studes in general. It makes me hungry for more, and I frequently go back and reread articles and look at ads in Turning Wheels on model years and types that catch my attention.

My personal Stude is a modified 1953 Starliner model. Through the forums influence, I have now got a desire to own and restore a Studebaker wagon. And probably will, when I find one I can afford. So the more sources I can find for cars and parts, the better.

I will forward a copy of this to my SDC reps, along with an admonition to "expand, don't restrict" sources that influence more people to be Stude lovers.

Regards,
                Bob (stude53)

Comment

Slow down a bit, the policy is under reveiw, no need to discuss going anywhere. Evan if private ad's were banned, I'd still hang out here and look for my parts and cars elsewhere. Besides, it's only a matter of time until change will come as the Net grows.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                  64 GT Hawk
                  64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                  63 Daytona Convert.
                  53 Street rod
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

If JDP is correct and the subject is 'in play', I'd like to put in 2 cents' worth and suggest that we split out the forums into more than two headings. I often enjoy reading topics that have no immediate interest for me, but if there were more headings I could get the more relevant stuff in the limited time I have...

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

51 Commander State Sedan
                    Butler PA

Comment

When this site first started, I asked about having a Classified add forum and received the same response about how it would affect TW. I just don't buy it. Personally I would rather see all the adds in a classified section, that way everything is organized and with a quick look you can see what is on the market. I like the reguler forums for just what they are, stude discussion and tech issues. This helps prevent any one vendor from just using the regular Stude forum for his or her personal selling shop. We need vendors to keep this expensive "hobby" alive (see Purple Hawk), just open up a Classified adds forum for all of them to have the option to participate in. Figure out a way to identify a "vendor" from just some one having a spare car or parts that want to sell them. There is a place for this, we just need to step into the 21st century.

53commander HDTP
                      53 Champion HDTP
                      61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                      64 Champ long bed V8
                      64 GT
                      64 Champ long bed V8
                      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

hence my suggesstion to look at the link I mentioned earlier in this string. Other clubs seem to manage with a seperate section, for all the right reasons...eficiency, move to the electronic age, etc. I believe their guidelines are that it is not for vendors, but rather for what everyone here is asking for, a place to put an item or two from private parties, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X