Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would an alternative be for the webmaster be allowed to create a "Studes and Parts For Sale" forum?
    Or perhaps now is the time for someone to create "www.studesandpartsforsale.com" ?
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

I sent an email to the webmaster, here's part of his reply:

Mark, the real issue at stake here for many is what will happen with Turning Wheels advertising revenue that (along with dues) funds the magazine and website if vendors and members can advertise cars, parts and services for free on the club's own website? Many fear that will decline and make the magazine of less value to the members. To many in the SDC that's akin to cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. Plus, there is concern that the Internet ads give an unfair "advantage" to those without Internet access.
      I'm not saying I am in agreement with those concerns but they do raise valid questions. How do we protect the value and legacy of Turning Wheels in the face of the growing trend for "instantaneous marketing" via the Internet? How can make online classifieds and the magazine work in harmony? Those are the issues that need to be thought through, expressed to and debated with your elected SDC representatives that set club policy....and frankly, I see
      little good that can come from members arguing about it amongst themselves in public as if they were a lynch mob looking for a rope and someone to hang.

To me, you CANNOT "protect the value and legacy of Turning Wheels in the face of...instantaneous marketing". The internet is here to stay, and whether or not forum members can post for sale items here doesn't really mean much. I think most anyone that posts here on a regular basis is smart enough to know the other places for sale items get posted without having to rely on Turning Wheels. So, that's not going to change. What needs to change is Turning Wheels needs a forum where SDC MEMBERS can post for sale or wanted. If they want to publish those in the magazine, so be it. But you cannot stop progress.

Agreed. I suspect freebie ads will soon be a thing of the past, which will generate more revenue for TW. As for elected officials, I don't recall ever having been able to vote for anyone on the national level beyond Zone.

Comment

I agree the horse is already out of the barn on internet marketing. The net effects everything, just look at the impact on flea markets, and brick and mortar stores. % years ago, I could pay my York expenses by picking up bargains at York, then selling to non members on ebay. Now almost every vendor save the "loot" parts for ebay.
        The club is just to slow to adjust. I've been trying for years to get them to market SDC memberships on ebay with a fixed price auction. I offered to help at no chatge, but I am Satan to some board members and now am just pushing for "Anyone" to do it and do it right. When I sell a Studebaker, I get perhaps 5000 lookers, no reason a SDC club listing could not snag a few members a week with their ad.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        64 GT Hawk
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 Daytona Convert.
        53 Street rod
        JDP Maryland

Comment

What about Studebaker freebies? How does the policy cover that?
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by 65cruiser

I sent an email to the webmaster, here's part of his reply:

Plus, there is concern that the Internet ads give an unfair "advantage" to those without Internet access.

So what?? Getting Turning Wheels via First Class Mail is an advantage too, but I don't see the SDC Board stopping that! Let's face it, if you want to play, you have to pay. If you want first shot at the TW ads, get TW delivered via First Class Mail. If you want a shot at Internet ads, get off your money and get a computer......or go to your library and use the computer there.

Exactly how many [u]are really</u> complaining about this? And do they really buy parts, or just talk about it?

Let's stop catering to the few loud mouth whiners, and making rules that punish the majority because of a few.

I will shut up now.........I feel better now&lt;G&gt;!

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

quote:Those are the issues that need to be thought through, expressed to and debated with your elected SDC representatives that set club policy
              I think some us have been talking to our SDC representatives.
              quote:....and frankly, I see
              little good that can come from members arguing about it amongst themselves in public as if they were a lynch mob looking for a rope and someone to hang.[/i]
              Other than one or two comments that bordered on name calling, which I do not approve of, this discussion appears to me to be far from an "argument" of lynch mob mentality. A nerve has obvously been struck, and we are discussing our feelings about it, and what options may be available to us. I have seen a couple of folks stand up in favor of the policy, and I respect them for that. They didn't present their case in an "argumentative" manner, and I did not see anybody demean them for expressing their view.

I guess, since I accept my share of responsibility for keeping this discussion alive, I must say that I do not want to see anybody "hung," and certainly not the web master. I DO, however, think we are within our right (responsibility) as SDC members to discuss and ask questions about things that affect us as SDC members. I also believe, (and based on the response of many of my peers, it appears that I am not mistaken,) that this is as good a place as any to do so.

Challange the policy if you don't agree with it, defend it if you agree with it, stay out of it if you want, but don't attack the individual, or sink to the level of resorting to name-calling. We are all members of this organization, and therefore want the best for it. We will, from time to time disagree on what that may be. Sometimes, following debate and discussion, we might have to agree to disagree, and move on.

Dave's Place
              Studebaker Emporium
              www.davesplaceinc.com
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

quote:Originally posted by larkvi
                As for elected officials, I don't recall ever having been able to vote for anyone on the national level beyond Zone.
                Every two years you get to vote for a Director. The ten Directors run the corporation, elect the Officers, make appointments, hire paid staff, etc.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The board of directors is obviously short sited. I wish they would realize is 2006 and not 1966. The forum and the website are just a small dot in regards to what it could really be. If the board is worried about TW ad revenue, they should also market ad space on this forum to the vendors, who by the way, allow purchases on the internet.

As a magazine, I like TW, but if the club is primarily a subscription and nothing more, it's not worth the $27.50. Clubs are people, cars and resources. And it appears the club is a subscription service and club store selling what other clubs give with the cost of the membership. I guess if I continue to pay the membership long enough to vote for someone in my area, I'll have to check to see how old they are and if they own a computer and have internet access.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Lakeland, FL

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Swifster
                    I guess if I continue to pay the membership long enough to vote for someone in my area, I'll have to check to see how old they are and if they own a computer and have internet access.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Lakeland, FL

quote]

Tom - When I was last on the SDC Board, about nine months ago, ALL SDC Directors were online. Much SDC Board discussion and business is handled online. I received as many as 30 SDC/Studebaker e-mails a day. If you look in the back of Turning Wheels, you will see the e-mail addresses of the current SDC Board members.

Elections in SDC are being currently held. Refer to pages 20-21 of the February Turning Wheels. If your legal residence is now Florida, there is a three way race for Director in your Zone. Their ages vary, but all three use e-mail. I think that it is admirable that three people have stepped up to run for this volunteer position in your Zone. I have one that I would prefer to see elected, but I won't let that choice be known here.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary, I won't see a February TW until March (after it goes to Detroit via 4th class). Is this something that's in January's edition (that I brought with me)? I have no problem asking each a good question or two to determine my vote.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                      Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

TW also has the Stude-Freebees category in the classifieds. Is the SDC board going to be short sited enough to forbid the members of this forum from offering items for free or trade, because it give those of us using the forum an "unfair advatage" over those that are not in the 21st century [?] Just curious.

Studebaker Fever
                        60 Lark
                        51 Champion
                        Phil

Studebaker Fever
                        60 Lark
                        56 Power Hawk
                        Phil Hendrickson
                        Arnold, Missouri

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Gary, I won't see a February TW until March (after it goes to Detroit via 4th class). Is this something that's in January's edition (that I brought with me)? I have no problem asking each a good question or two to determine my vote.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

Tom - The ballots are also on page 56 of the January 2006 issue of Turning Wheels. The deadline for MAIL RECEIPT of ballots is April 1.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Well, that was easy. I completed the ballot and sent it out. Heck, I didn't even have to do any research....

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona
                            Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Your "elected" board is much the same as your "elected" "officials" down on the beltway..a politician is a politician...the only difference is that our "elected officials" in DC do a heck of a job feeding from the public trough! And that trough has nothing to do with an Avanti!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

Your "elected" board is much the same as your "elected" "officials" down on the beltway..a politician is a politician...the only difference is that our "elected officials" in DC do a heck of a job feeding from the public trough! And that trough has nothing to do with an Avanti!
                                Laemie, I think you're a little off base here. The SDC is a car club...not the federal government. It's here so that you and I can enjoy a hobby. The "Officials" are hardly Washington politicians. They give up a lot of their time so that we can have a little fun with Studebakers. Do you know any board members? Are you speaking from experience?

-Dick-
                                Dick Steinkamp
                                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                                X