Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker History Question

Need some factual info...

When Studebaker shut down it's South Bend operations in '64, what was the disposition of the production line equipment.
    I know some of it was abandoned, but I am interested in finding out the truth about 'who' purchased some/most/all of it.

My question is mostly directed the engine production line.
    'If' this was sold off, who bought it?

Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
    Brooklet, Georgia
    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
    '61 Hawk (project)
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

I think I read somewhere the foundry was sold to Chrysler

Bob Johnstone
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I think I read somewhere the foundry was sold to Chrysler

Bob Johnstone
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Jeff: A small bit of history. The South Bend plant last official day of production was Monday Dec 9, 1963. Skeleton production continued untill the 20th.

toyman

Comment

Jeff: A small bit of history. The South Bend plant last official day of production was Monday Dec 9, 1963. Skeleton production continued untill the 20th.

toyman

Comment

I don't know who, but the stamping machines/bldg was still operating into the 80's, as i remember hearing something about they were quarter panels for a ford product?

Comment

I don't know who, but the stamping machines/bldg was still operating into the 80's, as i remember hearing something about they were quarter panels for a ford product?

Comment

I have always heard Chrysler used the engine building stuff for thier 318!! which is why they were so tough. NT

Neil Thornton
                Hazlehurst, GA
                '57 Silver Hawk
                '56 Sky Hawk
                '51 2R16 dump truck
                Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I have always heard Chrysler used the engine building stuff for thier 318!! which is why they were so tough. NT

Neil Thornton
                  Hazlehurst, GA
                  '57 Silver Hawk
                  '56 Sky Hawk
                  '51 2R16 dump truck
                  Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Toyman,

Last official day of production in South Bend was NOT December 9th. That was the day the announcement was made but many vehicles including cars trucks and Avantis were built after Dec. 9.

Comment

Toyman,

Last official day of production in South Bend was NOT December 9th. That was the day the announcement was made but many vehicles including cars trucks and Avantis were built after Dec. 9.

Comment

Quite a bit of production equipment, dies etc. were unceremoniously hauled from buildings and placed in the parking lots and even next to city streets in the Studebaker corridor by subsequent owners of some of the production buildings. I've seen photos from the late 1960s and can attest to this. Even into the early 2000s there were many heavy "souvenirs" on the old plant site for the taking if one had a crane. Were some parts ran off in the old plant after closing and well into 1964? It seems to me I have read that somewhere. I do know the last 5 hourly employees at the plant were retired and/or laid off in 1971.

Studedude1961
                        --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Quite a bit of production equipment, dies etc. were unceremoniously hauled from buildings and placed in the parking lots and even next to city streets in the Studebaker corridor by subsequent owners of some of the production buildings. I've seen photos from the late 1960s and can attest to this. Even into the early 2000s there were many heavy "souvenirs" on the old plant site for the taking if one had a crane. Were some parts ran off in the old plant after closing and well into 1964? It seems to me I have read that somewhere. I do know the last 5 hourly employees at the plant were retired and/or laid off in 1971.

Studedude1961
                          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Engine production had to continue in SB to support Canadian output and if I remember right, the Zip Van contract kept folks busy thru the summer of '64 as well.

South Bend Stamping ran the sheet metal machinery for some years after Stude was done.
                            I've got a handfull of manila-colored index cards that I spirited away from a stamping plant file cabinet during an "unauthorized" tour of the place in '02.[}]
                            Here's one of the cards I'm talking about. This one's dated 7-20-56 and defines it as regarding part # 1539746
                            Under "Part Name" it's written "FLYWHEEL ASSY.-259 ENG. EQUIP. - SPEC. ORDERS
                            Then it has a place for applicable models and the only one listed is a 3E40 truck.
                            [img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...4/DSC00062.JPG [/img]

I've got maybe 60 or 80 of these cards. They're nothin' special except to me. To me, there one tiny, last bit of history that I PERSONALLY rescued from oblivion.
                            Most of what papers were in the little foreman's shack that we found these in were papers regarding later, non-Stude stuff. No telling why these were even IN the stamping plant since none of them pertain to sheet metal items.[:I]
                            When I croak, they'll cease to hold much "magic" for anyone. In fact, they'll probably end up in the trash.[B)]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Engine production had to continue in SB to support Canadian output and if I remember right, the Zip Van contract kept folks busy thru the summer of '64 as well.

South Bend Stamping ran the sheet metal machinery for some years after Stude was done.
                              I've got a handfull of manila-colored index cards that I spirited away from a stamping plant file cabinet during an "unauthorized" tour of the place in '02.[}]
                              Here's one of the cards I'm talking about. This one's dated 7-20-56 and defines it as regarding part # 1539746
                              Under "Part Name" it's written "FLYWHEEL ASSY.-259 ENG. EQUIP. - SPEC. ORDERS
                              Then it has a place for applicable models and the only one listed is a 3E40 truck.
                              [img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...4/DSC00062.JPG [/img]

I've got maybe 60 or 80 of these cards. They're nothin' special except to me. To me, there one tiny, last bit of history that I PERSONALLY rescued from oblivion.
                              Most of what papers were in the little foreman's shack that we found these in were papers regarding later, non-Stude stuff. No telling why these were even IN the stamping plant since none of them pertain to sheet metal items.[:I]
                              When I croak, they'll cease to hold much "magic" for anyone. In fact, they'll probably end up in the trash.[B)]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X