Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am trying to remember, did the 1963 SuperLarks have R badges on the lower rear of the front fenders like the SuperHawks did? Then these fenders would have a different part number. Remember that all emblems then required holes, not adhesive <G>.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

So, can anyone tell me if this fender has the '60 style lower portion or the 62 style lower portion. This is a fibreglass fender btw. I'd really rather rust free steel fenders but there is slim pickin's up here in Ontario...

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Todd , I'd say that was a 59, 60 fender.
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

If this is a fiberglass fender, it probably has the early style lower bit behind the wheel, but hopefully if it came off a '62 whoever originally installed it did the appropriate bodywork to make it match the rocker panel. If not, it's really no big deal if you've worked with fiberglass before.

I personally kind of like the idea of fiberglass fenders. Rust sucks.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The picture appears to be of a 1959-1960 style fender. It won't be correct, but will not look bad on a 1963. If you want it right, you could alter that lower area that meets the rocker panel.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the input. Are there correct fibreglass fenders available for the 62-3?

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Tom,

The holes for the trim were pre-drilled - even if the fenders were smililar in shape. The prongs on the letters aren't forgiving and if the holes some body shop drilled weren't SPOT on, then there'd be a problem in the fit of the emblems.

The ragtops and the sliding roof wagons have a different fender in that it has a tab on the back edge of the wheel opening that accomodates a stiffener/rod to the firewall. This because the center-point mounting of the "doghouse" on these models made the front fenders want to flutter at speed. It's a supplement to the hamonic balance weights these body styles used in the front panel.

N8N - you're correct on the trim holes of 62 vs. 63. Looking at the book, the inner aprons and air deflector (the piece behind the headlite) are different for 62 as opposed to 63. Possibly there is some accomodation to mate with those different inner panels that calls for the year-specific part numbers for what otherwise appears to be the same fender. I've got a 63 and a 62 fender here. I'll have to get them side-by-side and see what I can detect.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Todd, if you want fberglass fenders, call Dan Webber in Gaithersburg, Maryland some evening. His phone is in the SDC roster. Email me if you need it.

Dan has the molds to make the Lark fenders through '63. He can make the various versions that had the different bottom edges. Dan is the guy that has the tables at Reedsville and York selling used tools.

Gary Ash
                  Dartmouth, MA
                  '48 M5
                  '65 Wagonaire Commander
                  '63 Wagonaire Standard
                  www.studegarage.com
                  Gary Ash
                  Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                  ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                  '48 M5
                  '65 Wagonaire Commander