This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New museum / display opinionsssss

Recently a friend who is a non-stude-owner went to the new museum because I told him about it, he was in the area and understands what a big chunk of american history Studebaker is. He took a bunch of pics and in one is the Muppet car. It apears that it was cleaned up a good bit but the paint job still seems faded. Now when you shoot a film, most paint jobs have to be dulled so as not to glare from the lighting. I have not seen the car in person since it was put in the truck to go to the museum. As far as displaying the car what is the opinion of this group, (1) display it cleaned up,but generalaly "as is" in order to demonstrate how cars look in real life as opposed to how they appear after being filmed along with an explaination of why it looks the way it does. OR (2) display it restored I.E. inside and outside to how it appears (glossy)in the movie. The exception to this would be the mechanicle alterations done to make it appear the Muppets were driving. I DO NOT MEAN THIS AS A DIG TO THE MUSEUM AND ITS STAFF. IT IS ONLY A QUESTION FOR OPINIONS. AFTER BEING "LOST" FOR 20 YEARS I AM VERY HAPPY IT IS ON DISPLAY IN ANY CONDITION !Stan

The car hasn't been restored ...just the way it was used
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I guess I'd prefer it as it is--dull, with an explanation. Or perhaps, illuminated as it would have been for the movie-- then you have it 'both ways'...

I take my car to a few shows each summer with the full complement of Muppets on board as in the movie. My dad is even making me a 'Fork in the Road' for this summer... The kids (of all ages) are thrilled...

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

51 Commander State Sedan
      Butler PA

Comment

This car was just featured in a recent Turning Wheels. As I read it, the car's suffered weathering from it's movie state because the paint used is not the stuff one would paint their personal car with and it's easily weathered (washed out) in a relatively short time.
        If it were my decision to make, I'd like to see it looking as it did when the film was shot. There's certainly some argument to be made about displaying things as they're found, but consider some barn-weary Stude with oxidized paint and mouse-turd filled interior. Which is more respectful to it's image - leaving it just as you found it or restoring it to it's glory? I realize my example is a bit extreme, but why not make the MuppetBaker go back to the glory of it's high point? That's what we remember. Right?

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The museum has professional display coordinators who layed out the scenes and overall did a remarkable job. Remember they had only 24 to 48 hours !!! to setup the displays after getting occupancy authorization from the city before the grand opening weekend.

I say if a few displays might deserve adjustment in the future send suggestions to the collection managers.

I was there for the grand opening and it was amazing how much stuff they moved into place on the second floor no less (Elevator used to raise some 20 or 30 cars OVERNIGHT!). They should all get special awards for that event. Stude8

Comment

[:I] "Restoring" it to the way it looked in the movie might be more difficult than it would appear, Bob. [)]

For sure, no one at The Museum would know exactly what texture and colors were used, much less how to apply them to recreate the movie car exactly as shot on location.

I've seen the car as the display was set up in the museum and it's fine with me if they just leave it alone. It's cool! [8D] BP

[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

This car was just featured in a recent Turning Wheels. As I read it, the car's suffered weathering from it's movie state because the paint used is not the stuff one would paint their personal car with and it's easily weathered (washed out) in a relatively short time.
            If it were my decision to make, I'd like to see it looking as it did when the film was shot. There's certainly some argument to be made about displaying things as they're found, but consider some barn-weary Stude with oxidized paint and mouse-turd filled interior. Which is more respectful to it's image - leaving it just as you found it or restoring it to it's glory? I realize my example is a bit extreme, but why not make the MuppetBaker go back to the glory of it's high point? That's what we remember. Right?

Miscreant at large.
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for all the reply to this topic. I am Very happy it is on display at all! Champion 8 your right on. From the pictures I saw of the place they did an amazing job; but in 48 hours is insane.Kudos to them. Does anyone remember the 98 meet in Austin Tx there was a guy, I think from Arizona that had done up a Muppet car. Anyone know who he is/was.I know he has been in sdc since atleast the early 80's. I took about a 15 year break from Studebakers.1998 was the beginning of of my return. It's the 2cnd year as VP of my local chapte and 3rdyear as co-editor( my wife is the real talent,I just handle content)I just can remember the names of all the great guys that did stuff like that. As a kid in sdc I met alot of great "old guys" and a lot of them have passed but there is a lot of new blood(Commander51)doing good stuff now so it all works out. Stan

Comment

Hi, Ghostmuppet,
                Chuck Naugle was the guy showing the Muppet lookalike. He's a great guy and I'll try to get you his address.
                Studgib

Gib

Comment

I would like to see the car re-painted back to its former movie glory. I made a donation to the Muppet Car Restoration Fund and look forward to flying to America again one day to see the car. I would also like to see the photos of the look-a-like car that was done. I have a model car that was painted in the muppet colours and will post it on here soon.

A Bear in his natural habitat....A Studebaker!

Comment

I think it should be left alone.
                    As a comparison, the NASCAR people take the winning car from the Daytona 500 and put it on display for the whole year at the Daytona Speedway museum. Just the way it came off the race track. The owner will eventually get it back.
                    This is a driver's club.
                    Let's leave it just the way the Muppets drove it
                    Jeff[8D]
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

[navy][b]I think it should be left alone.
                      As a comparison, the NASCAR people take the winning car from the Daytona 500 and put it on display for the whole year at the Daytona Speedway museum. Just the way it came off the race track. The owner will eventually get it back.
                      This is a driver's club.
                      Let's leave it just the way the Muppets drove it

Kind of a different comparison there, Jeff. We are talking about a movie car that sat desolate for 20 or so years where the paint has faded out, etc. Most will remember this car in bright colors in the movie. In that, I agree with Mr. Biggs that it probably should appear like it did when it when Fozzie Bear "drove" it. What you are talking about is a competition car that has proven its best complete with the battle scars that made it a winner, and agreed, that one deserves to be kept 'as was' to prove its legacy on the track.

Craig

Comment

I agree with Craig and Biggs. In addition, I think that the Hensons should be contacted to request donation of the original puppets (if they still exist) to put back in the car. It would be a fantastic display with the doors open and dummy puppetiers, puppets, and trunk open displaying a dummy midget in the trunk. This would show the public the trouble taken to provide the shots taken with this car. Kind of like a walk around exhibit. One side has the doors open so that one can see inside, the other side (driver's?) showing what we remember. Henson and Co. would probably benefit from the additional publicity too.

By the by, has anyone involved with the museum thought of contacting the Jim Henson troupe and asking what paint, textures, etc were used? They probably have records detailing this. You might be surprised! They might even be enthuastic! Hello museum, hint, hint, hint...

I'm never flush with money, but I would be glad to donate my pennies to this fund. Provided the South Bend Museum stipulates exactly what the money will be spent on.

Lotsa Larks!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

There were 2 Studebakers used in the Muppet Movie (1 driven by a midget in the trunk and another used for long distance shots). Does anyone know where the other one is?

A Bear in his natural habitat....A Studebaker!

Comment

Working...
                          X