This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Champion

Just bought a 53 Champion. Any advice as to care and feeding?

Coop

Coop, tell us a little more about your 53. Standard or auto? Overdrive? Mileage? Condition?

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 GT
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Sedan or coupe? Yes, give us more details.
      wagone and recovering Avanti I

Comment

What sayeth body tag on cowl under hood passenger side?
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

Coop, tell us a little more about your 53. Standard or auto? Overdrive? Mileage? Condition?

53commander HDTP
          53 Champion HDTP
          61 Cursed Purple Hawk
          64 Champ long bed V8
          64 GT
          I purchased this car at a dealer auction. It had been in the same family for 40 years or so. It is a flathead six with standard transmission. It is a four door. The interior looks good and the body is very solid and straight. I am not crazy about the color, a medium dark green. The car does run and drive well. Not sure if it has overdrive or not. I am waiting for the auction to deliver it on a flatbed, roll off, car hauler. I am a dealer and will most likley sell the car after I have had some fun with it. I bought it because it reminded me of the orange 53 Champion 2 door that a local shop, M&V Garage, use to drag race every sunday at Charleston Dragway in Charleston IL.

Coop

Comment

Did that come from a Ford dealer?In Champaign,I believe? They had it on e-bay twice,but I don't remember what the final bid was.Seems they were looking for $2500 or so- One and only time I saw a 'Stude at a dealer auction was in Moline-a 64 daytona..[also dark green]At that time I wasn't interested in a 64,wish I'd have bought it.[ I'm an Illinois dealer.] Just for kicks,email me with a price after you have your fun with it!!!!

Home of the Almostahawk
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

The one I'm thinking of has been up on eBay a bunch! Here's the last time up-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

[8D]

StudeDave
              San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
              '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
              '57 Commander 2dr
              '57 Champion 2dr
              '65 Cruiser
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

What sayeth body tag on cowl under hood passenger side?
                Body tag sayeth 14G-W1 1155. I know little about these cars, other than they look great.

Coop

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

53commander HDTP
                  53 Champion HDTP
                  61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                  64 Champ long bed V8
                  64 GT
                  The 53 just arrived via flat-bed. The color, olive, is growing on me. I have not driven the car myself as of yet. It does have a lever for overdrive. It is showing 64,792 miles. Under the hood looks original and clean. The body looks very good. The door latches could use some adjustment.

Coop

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

The one I'm thinking of has been up on eBay a bunch! Here's the last time up-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

[8D]

StudeDave
                    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
                    '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
                    '57 Commander 2dr
                    '57 Champion 2dr
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Thats IT! The auction ended at 2,550.00 reserve not met. The pictures were not that good.

Coop

Comment

Hi Coop,

Congratulations! I read where some of these guys said the sedans rode more comfortably than the coupes and hardtops (was that you, Biggsy?).

For the sake of longevity in the forum that will outlive eBay's photos in that link, I've stolen a picture and put it on my site. Here it is brightened up a bit to account for that overcast day:

Anyway, that looks like a nice repaint job. Can you tell if it's the original color? Probably not quite, if the new paint is metallic. I know what you mean about a color growing on you. Especially when it's a nice enough job that you'd hate to redo it just because it's not naturally your favorite color. But, if you're not a purist, there are plenty of ways you could make it come alive with a lighter, complementary color for the roof and wheels, or even do some drastic stuff. I'd try it on a computer first, though.

(20 minutes later)...
                      What the heck, I couldn't resist painting your top myself. Not very realistic, but it could begin to give you an idea how it might look:

Paul Simpson
                      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                      The Red-Headed Amazon
                      Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

Hi Coop,

Congratulations! I read where some of these guys said the sedans rode more comfortably than the coupes and hardtops (was that you, Biggsy?).

For the sake of longevity in the forum that will outlive eBay's photos in that link, I've stolen a picture and put it on my site. Here it is brightened up a bit to account for that overcast day:

Anyway, that looks like a nice repaint job. Can you tell if it's the original color? Probably not quite, if the new paint is metallic. I know what you mean about a color growing on you. Especially when it's a nice enough job that you'd hate to redo it just because it's not naturally your favorite color. But, if you're not a purist, there are plenty of ways you could make it come alive with a lighter, complementary color for the roof and wheels, or even do some drastic stuff. I'd try it on a computer first, though.

(20 minutes later)...
                        What the heck, I couldn't resist painting your top myself. Not very realistic, but it could begin to give you an idea how it might look:

You know, Dillo, if I kinda-sorta squint at the one with the beige top, I can see a convertible there. Anybody else?

We in Studedom tend to see the '53 - '55 sedans as being ugly ducklings compared the C and K models, but if you compare them to what the Big 3 were offering, they are flat-out gorgeous cars in their own right. I'd like to see one done up as a convertible. Hmmm, there's this '53 Champion sedan behind my house....

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                        X