Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dick's black beauty has graced my driveway a time or two. (Yes, I allow him to park it on the property even tho it has some sort of Brand X motor in it[}]) It's always an inspiration to see.

I agree with the worth of brightwork, Dick - so many are opting for painted trim parts nowdays tho, with the current wave of monotone-mobiles - but glass copies would be a boon to cusstomizers and chrome lovers.[]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That is one beautiful front end! That grill looks flawless.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more pictures.

Comment

My 53 Coupe is coming back together after languishing for twenty years. I hope to have it done for Spring 2007 and will definitely put in an appearance at the 2008 International.

I got my grills back from Pot Metal Restorations in Tallahassee and they did an outstanding job filling thousands of pits. They look better than original but it did take 15 big bills.[:0][:0][:0][:0]

"Studebaker's Finest" is still available from SI for $39.95. Item #800052.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

welcome to the group. glad you liked the movie ray. my "other " old car was used in the movie. it was the green 55 oldsmobile 98 used by ray's agents. still on the whole i'd rather be driving my 56 commander

Comment

Forgot to add, Bob, if you look at a pic of my car and then a pic of Dick's car (never mind that his is in much better shape; it's just that they're similarly done, all-black cars) you will see that the '53 front end is way more aesthetically appealing than the '55.

Now if they'd come out with the '55 design *first,* then introduced the '54 and finally the '53, we'd all be talking about how much Studebaker styling had improved over the years

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Too bad they didn't stick with the '55 prototype with the mesh grills. That one is very nice looking.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avalanche325

Too bad they didn't stick with the '55 prototype with the mesh grills. That one is very nice looking.
                I believe that the car that you refer to as a "prototype" really was Bob Bourke's personal car. It was a 1954 Starliner modified to what Bob thought should be done. It was not a Studebaker prototype. The car still exists. I was quite involved with bringing this car back to good condition when Bob owned it. Studebaker management insisted on a very chrome covered face for 1955, like a Buick - which is what Studebaker was priced like. The mesh grile was on Bourke's car and a full width grille with vertical bars was on Loewy's Starliner. There was also another '53 Starliner with a different full width grille.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

thanks guys for all your input i will let you guys know how i make out this is my first stude and the car is in great shape i just wish there was more clubs close to me in nh for studes and more on line for pictures of 57 champion 2dr

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bills 57 champion

thanks guys for all your input i will let you guys know how i make out this is my first stude and the car is in great shape i just wish there was more clubs close to me in nh for studes and more on line for pictures of 57 champion 2dr

The Tri-Spokes Chapter of SDC covers VT, NH and ME. They are quite active and put out a newsletter. I would suggest joining that chapter to assist yourself in making local contacts. This year's SDC Northeast Zone Meet will be held in NH in July.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Studegary,
                      I have see a picture of Bourke's car, listed as a prototype is a 50s coffee table book. Do you have, or know where there are pictures of the other two cars you mentioned?

It is interesting that the chromed mesh is very much in style on high end cars like Bentley and the Jaguar "R" types today.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avalanche325

Studegary,
                        I have see a picture of Bourke's car, listed as a prototype is a 50s coffee table book. Do you have, or know where there are pictures of the other two cars you mentioned?

It is interesting that the chromed mesh is very much in style on high end cars like Bentley and the Jaguar "R" types today.
                        There are pictures of all three cars in John Bridges' book; Studebaker's Finest. This book was recently discussed on another thread here. (I just realized that you were the one that started the thread that I refer to.)
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Great. My book is already on the way!!!

I am starting my Stude education. Then, I will hopefully have enough information to start looking for a car.

Comment

Working...
                          X