X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '53-55 C + K fender skirt reproduction project

Howdy,
    I haven't been active for a while - you know how life can be!

[u]Let's get '53-55 C&K fender skirts reproduced in steel!</u>

I have a '53 Starlite that had a pair of fender skirts when it left the dealership but they were lost in an estate sale. Loaded with a continental kit and factory options, I MUST have skirts. I'm told the last NOS set on eBay sold near $1000.

We can have reproductions for $225 ! from Agape Auto in Indiana. Gordon Secrest there WANTS to do this project and started previously but was not happy with the contours and dropped it.
    HE NEEDS to borrow a pair of skirts to do this once and do it right.

[u]Can someone step up and lend a pair?</u> I would expect there would be significant $$ advantage to the first pair for whoever does this.

GSagape@aol.com is your contact info for Gordon or contact me and I will put you together with THE MAN.

As we say here in Texas, let's "Git 'er done" !

Thanks,

Wayne Graefen
    '53 Commander Starliner & Starlite
    '63 Avanti R1

Gentlemen, I'm frankly surprised that we are letting a reproduction opportunity pass by with NO RESPONSE. Am I missing something here? Are skirts for my '53 available somewhere else?

Wayne

Wayne Graefen
    '53 Commander Starliner & Starlite
    '63 Avanti R1

Comment

I think the issue is that most people don't like skirts on 53-55 CKs[xx(] At least IMHO, it detracts from the clean styling.

Of course, that's a personal opinion, and personal opinions are like, well, you know.....[:I]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

I think the issue is that most people don't like skirts on 53-55 CKs[xx(]
        I'm with Mark...any C/K that looks good with skirts, looks better without them . Some cars cry out for skirts (49 Merc's for example), but not 53-55 CK's.

-Dick-
        (just my opinion of course)
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I throw my lot in with these guys too. Skirts - especially the factory ones - on a C-K aren't something there's any great lusting for.[B)]
          I happen to like skirts - on some cars.... I've got them on our 60 Lark ragtop and I have a set for the 55 Pres sedan (they ARE factory - and help sleek up the sedan line) But I've seen factory skirts on a 55 Speedster. Not pretty to my eye.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If I had a pair, I'd gladly lend them for this project. However, you can add me to the list of people that wouldn't necessarily be interested in buying the repros. Just one guy's opinion... (they probably wouldn't fit over 245/60s anyway &lt;G&gt

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I toyed with the idea of suggesting a "Save the C-K's from skirts" group, but again, your car your choice.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
              64 GT Hawk
              64 R2 4 speed Challenger
              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
              53 Street rod
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Yes, I have a pair painted to match my car. I'd prefer for them not to be used as a mold, unless you're really stuck. I'm close to Toronto, Ontario.

As others have pointed out, I'm not sure if it is a project that would be really wanted.

My one original NOS set was painted yellow to match my 55 coupe. They didn't look right, and I was having trouble deciding whether to drill holes in my fenders to take the front and the back. (Yes, you have to drill 2 holes in the fender.) The top is held on by some clips. For installation you slide it up in the middle, then you screw it on at the ends into your fender.

In any case, I didn't install them because I got a "new" 55 Commander coupe. They were re-painted green, and would have fit BUT I installed 205 75R15 tires on, after some blemish problems surfaced on the whitewalls on the 195 75R15s that I bought new.

So- with 205 tires, my painted fender skirts no longer fit. I'm just glad I didn't get around to drilling the holes in these fenders.

Given all the chrome and stainless trim on a 55, I'm not sure if fender skirts will make it go/look any faster.

I don't really want to sell them, because I may find a car they do look good on.

Paul

Comment

I have a pair that came with my 1955 President State. They were in the trunk when I purchased the car last spring, I assume they are for the car. I would loan them for this project assuming they will not be damaged and be returned. A 1955 President I saw with skirts has helped me keep these skirts in storage.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by curt

I have a pair that came with my 1955 President State. They were in the trunk when I purchased the car last spring, I assume they are for the car. I would loan them for this project assuming they will not be damaged and be returned. A 1955 President I saw with skirts has helped me keep these skirts in storage.
                    If you mean a '55 President State sedan, two things; 1) fender skirts were standard on that model and I have seen other cars where they never left the box in the trunk and 2) those skirts will not fit a C/K body.

I believe that someone has a project to make fiberglass reproduction skirts for C/K models.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X