This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy with a 49 Land Cruiser

Hello. I am new to Studes but a long time admirer. I am helping a friend restore a 49 Studebaker Land Cruiser 4 dr.

One major problem is that we can't get the trunk open. He drilled out the lock but it didn't help. Nothing seems to work. The lever moves but its not unlatching. Its not fully closed but I cannot see the mechanism. Any tips how we can get it open? Is it possible to take out the back seat and open it from the inside?

Also, the 3 spd is in many pieces. How hard is it to find another or reassemble the old one. I am capable of doing just about anything on a car and usually do so I have the technical ability.

FIRST THING I WOULD DO IS LOG ON TO STUDEBAKER VENDORS AND GET A SERVICE MANUAL AND MAYBBE A PARTS MANUAL! CHAMP[8D]

Comment

Absolutely take out the back seat. once it is out the only thing separating the pass. compartment from the trunk is a piece of cardboard, which can be removed from inside the passenger compartment as well. Hopefully if you then crawl in there with a drop light you will be able to figure out what you need to do to get it working correctly. Worst case you can unbolt the striker (take a wrench or socket set in with you) and then fix it in a more comfortable position.

good luck,

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

You are a real commedian N8. I have been back in there a few times myself and there is no confortable position back there and the older you get the worse it gets.

Comment

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Years ago someone tried to break into the trunk of my 53. They didn't make it but the lock was broke and I had to crawl through to remove the latch. Problem was I had three tires and a toolbox in there and those 53's don't have that much room to begin with.

The LandCruiser should take the T86 short tail transmission with a u-bolt yoke. You may see a couple of these at the larger swapmeets though they don't seem to be as common as the T96 for the Champion small six. Someone on this forum may be able to help or, if you've joined SDC, you can place a free want-ad in Turning Wheels.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Where there's a will, there's a way.

The LandCruiser should take the T86 short tail transmission with a u-bolt yoke. You may see a couple of these at the larger swapmeets though they don't seem to be as common as the T96 for the Champion small six. Someone on this forum may be able to help or, if you've joined SDC, you can place a free want-ad in Turning Wheels.
            I haven't seen the trans myself, but the owner was telling me its very long and has an overdrive.

Comment

It depends on where the guy is at. I have 3 of them here in L.A. but if he is back east somewhere the shipping would be more than the trans.

Comment

Working...
              X