This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker "Coupe Sedan"

I've seen two pictures of the "Coupe Sedan" in my lifetime...
    One was a '37 Dictator, and the other was a '39 (right on this websites' banner)...

Can anyone enlighten me as to the particulars of this model?
    It must be pretty rare, as I have never seen one 'in the flesh'..
    Thanks,
    Jeff[8D]
    ]

Jeff;

Studebaker did not make a model in either 1937 or 1939 called a Coupe Sedan. In '37 there were only three body styles in the President and Dictator lines, 4 door and 2 door sedans and a Coupe. In 1938 they introduced a model called a Club Sedan that was similar to a Victotia body from an earlier era. It was a two door but had the short rear side glass and a full three passenger back seat. In both 1941 and '42 they built what they referred to as a Sedan Coupe, it was a similar body style to the Club Sedan from 1938-40. It was available only on the Commander and President chassis (no Champions). I own a '40 President Club Sedan and a '41 President Sedan Coupe. I have photos of all these years and models.

R. Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thank you for the clarification.
      I was told the 2 door sedan used that name, so the clarification helps.
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

Jeff;

Studebaker did not make a model in either 1937 or 1939 called a Coupe Sedan. In '37 there were only three body styles in the President and Dictator lines, 4 door and 2 door sedans and a Coupe. In 1938 they introduced a model called a Club Sedan that was similar to a Victotia body from an earlier era. It was a two door but had the short rear side glass and a full three passenger back seat. In both 1941 and '42 they built what they referred to as a Sedan Coupe, it was a similar body style to the Club Sedan from 1938-40. It was available only on the Commander and President chassis (no Champions). I own a '40 President Club Sedan and a '41 President Sedan Coupe. I have photos of all these years and models.

R. Quinn
      editor: Antique Studebaker Review
      DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
      '37 Coupe Express
      '37 Coupe Express Trailer
      '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Like this?

Evan Davis
        Prairie Bulletin
        Saskatchewan Chapter
        Prince Albert, Sk
        Evan Davis
        Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Or this?

Evan

Evan Davis
          Prairie Bulletin
          Saskatchewan Chapter
          Prince Albert, Sk
          Evan Davis
          Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

One of the sources of the "Coupe Sedan" reference is my bad. I erroneously used that title instead of "Club Sedan" for one of the small photos that appears in the menu bar of the regular SDC website pages. Sorry about that error, I will get it fixed.

BTW, 12 new pics (remember the "voting" you did last year?) will be finally get added to the rotation in the next week.

-BShaw
            Webmaster
            60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota
            1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
            "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

What does "my bad" mean? It sounds like gibberish or a typo. What do you mean??
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Scott, "My Bad" is 21st century speak for "my mistake". It's "hep", it's "cool", it's one more bit of morphing of the English language. You can go with it or be left behind. Our language is constantly changing. That's just the way it is.
                I have often mused at whether or not, (if I were able to time-travel to, say, the 13th century) I could converse with someone who spoke "English". From what I've seen and read, I think I'd have a hell of a time with the language!
                The Internet era is the launching ground for another whole branch of English - that in which the economy of keystrokes by just using first letters of each word allows one to communicate faster - almost as fast as having a normal conversation. [:I] BTW (by the way), I'm not making excuses for Bob Shaw's slandering of the king's english. Just explaining that it's part of "what's happenin'".

Sedan-Coupe. Man, I had a chance to buy a really nice, unrestored '41 Commander version a few years back. All original and missing nothing, it's Commander 6 was froze solid but everything else was intact and in nice shape. $1600 bucks would have made it mine but I was already overloaded with Studes and this was just before ebay came to be. I wish I could remember exactly what street that thing resided on. It was resting nicely in a good, secure garage. Even it's original blue over gray paint looked decent!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Is that like "sharing teeth"? If two old geezers have only one set of teeth between them, that's spreading yourself thin.

Then there's the Opera Coupe, with the side mounted jump seat behind the front seat. That's a gem.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

hey my buddy is buildin a 39 commander coupe. when i get some pics i will share with ya. its not original though
                    . using a 4.3 chevy v-6 drive train. but on stude boxed frame. its his idea of a street rod
                    . he also has 2 rocknes n 59 pickup n 41 sedan.

Comment

Working...
                    X