X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '56-'57 Custom Hardtop

Hi
    In line with the custom convertible topic, I'd like to suggest a '56-'57 hardtop project.
    Mount a '59-'60 Lark hardtop body on a '56-'57 President or Commander 116.5' wb chassis, add the rear quarters and deck, the front clip, side trim, dash and interior. Result: a sweet car with the style consistent top for '56-'57!
    Regards
    Steve

Steve,

I'd like to add 58 fins to a 57 sedan. Or 56-7 front fenders to a 58 hardtop!
    There was a 58 Commander hardtop around here for a couple of years. It was a driver but needed everything cosmetic. I passed on it at $500 (this was 8 or 10 years ago, you see) and I know that it was ultimately bought by a guy as a father & son project for his teenage boy. They even got ahold of me to find out about parts
    n such.
    Alas, the car just languished in their driveway with 4 flat tires. The car and the family eventually moved away. I fear the car got tossed or sold cheap. Man, that would have been one to swap front fenders on!

There were a pair of NOS 58 fins (for a 2-door car!) that ran several times on ebay about a year ago. Opening bid was always $350 and they never drew a bid. After 3 or 4 runs,(and never getting a bid)they didn't show up again. In retrospect, I wish I'd bought them, but with so many projects, the money's always thin.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 56H-Y6

Hi
      In line with the custom convertible topic, I'd like to suggest a '56-'57 hardtop project.
      Mount a '59-'60 Lark hardtop body on a '56-'57 President or Commander 116.5' wb chassis, add the rear quarters and deck, the front clip, side trim, dash and interior. Result: a sweet car with the style consistent top for '56-'57!
      Regards
      Steve
      It would be a LOT easier to start with a '58 hardtop and add a '56-'57 front clip. This has been done using '53 to '57 front clips and looks good, IMHO. I also think that the longer style '58 hardtop roof would go better with the longer wheelbase and longer car than the short '59-'60 Lark hardtop roof.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
      X