This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a Stude V-8 fit in there ?

The Ford 260 was all cast iron as most other domestic V-8's of the era,so there might not be much of a weight difference. Im thinking anymore weight up front would make it a dog to handel, but a neat little car like this with a better engine might be awesome, not to mention one of a kind.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...temZ4595391929

British Sports cars are not without there charms, but most are so woefully underpowered.
    Ever go down the road at 75mph in a tent?

Comment

I once drove an Austin-Healey 3000 that had a 427 Chevy stuffed into it. It was way too much engine for the car. In fact, it flexed the body so bad, you couldn't open or close the doors without jacking the car up in the middle![:0][xx(][}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The Ford 260, introduced about 1962(and the 221,289,302 series)was just about the lightest cast iron V-8 of it's day, and fairly compact as well. For that reason, it is suited for engine transplants into tiny foreign cars like the Sunbeam Alpine, etc. With all due respect, though the Studebaker V-8 was as good as,(or probably much better) than other contemporary 1950's Ford V-8's like the 292-312, it still is kind of hefty for its displacement. That would definitely be a negative for installing it in an old British Sports Car. But, it would be interesting to see it done.

Comment

Heh - I looked at an Austin Princess saloon the other day. Not in bad shape for such a monster of a Brit car. Guy told me it runs good (no battery to prove it). I was musing over how it would run with a Stude V8 in it![}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

In the early '60s, I remember going with a buddy to look at an Austin Healey with a Studebaker 259/289 V-8 installed into it. It must have been a major (unfinished) project as it certainly filled the engine compartment. I think this was before the Austin Healey 3000, maybe a 100-6 model, but 40 years is a long time to remember such details. Anyway, my buddy bought the engine out of the Healey, rebuilt it, and dropped it into his '53 Starliner. I had a matching '53 Starliner with a stock 232 engine. We used to cruise the drive-in hamburger places, try to get street drag competition with my car, then slip his car in pick up an easy $10 or $20. This was my car:

Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, MA
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            www.studegarage.com
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I've read that Bill Frick installed some of the Stude engines from his Studillac conversions in Italian Siata sports cars, in the early or mid fifties. I would love to see one of those.
              I wonder where the Siata engines went!
              Mike M.

Comment

With a $17,500 opening bid I doubt this would be the one to try sticking a Stude engine into I looked at several Sunbeam Alpines (the original 4cyl version of this model) back in the '70s with the thought of building a "Tiger" clone, as I recall this was not an easy swap even with the Ford 260-289, requiring widening of the front cradle and suspension mounting points. That 260 is only 21" wide, and 460 lbs, while the Stude is 26" wide and 650 lbs.
                Don't get me wrong, I love Studebaker V-8s (now got 5 of 'em!) but there are a lot of better choices of lightweight vehicles for swapping one into, like T-buckets, Model A's, Henry J's, Willy's etc.

Comment

A Stude engine will fit in anything if you drop it from high enough
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Jessie J.

With a $17,500 opening bid I doubt this would be the one to try sticking a Stude engine into I looked at several Sunbeam Alpines (the original 4cyl version of this model) back in the '70s with the thought of building a "Tiger" clone, as I recall this was not an easy swap even with the Ford 260-289, requiring widening of the front cradle and suspension mounting points. That 260 is only 21" wide, and 460 lbs, while the Stude is 26" wide and 650 lbs.
                  Don't get me wrong, I love Studebaker V-8s (now got 5 of 'em!) but there are a lot of better choices of lightweight vehicles for swapping one into, like T-buckets, Model A's, Henry J's, Willy's etc.
                  DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                  '37 Coupe Express
                  '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                  '61 Hawk

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I've still got my eye out for a dead tractor around here that I can try and adapt a Champion 6 to![] If I didn't need my 8N on a monthly basis, I'd try adapting it. I need a tractor with a 3-point hitch to work our smallish plot (2&1/2acres) and these vintage Fords are just the right size. I'd buy one with a dead engine if I could afford it, but they're in demand out here even tho the first of them was built before WWII!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

A little off topic, but I have an IH 154 Cub Lo-Boy with its original 12 hp 4 cyl, and 60" mower deck, it is quite underpowered.
                      Have to mow often because heavy grass will bring it down to a stand-still. Now this one is too nice and original to mess with but I can't help but wonder if anyone ever repowered one of these with a Champion 6 or ???

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I've still got my eye out for a dead tractor around here that I can try and adapt a Champion 6 to!
                        I'm looking for a vintage dirt track racer that NEEDS a hopped up Champion 6. I'll look for the dead tractor, Biggs, if you keep your eyes open for the round-d-round racer.

-Dick-

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

DEAL!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

This reminds me of a story from a few years ago. My brother used to race roundy round local short track races in central IN. He raced an early 70's Camero and still builds engines for racers near Anderson and Muncie. One night some guys brought a different car than they normally ran and won one of the races quite handily (remember these were (are) very short tracks. Unfortunately they were disqualified when it was found that they were running an in- line 6 cylinder engine (not the V8 that was required), a Hudson 308 in the Camero!

Dan White
                            64 R1 GT
                            64 R2 GT
                            Dan White
                            64 R1 GT
                            64 R2 GT
                            58 C Cab
                            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

The wacky clutch on a 154 won't take the abuse...
                              But....
                              Those things are pulling $1500+ sight unseen...just for the parts!
                              Jeff (sold my 154 for that 8 years ago)Rice[8D]
                              PS: Ask me about pool diving with it sometime....really[B)]

quote:Originally posted by Jessie J.

A little off topic, but I have an IH 154 Cub Lo-Boy with its original 12 hp 4 cyl, and 60" mower deck, it is quite underpowered.
                              Have to mow often because heavy grass will bring it down to a stand-still. Now this one is too nice and original to mess with but I can't help but wonder if anyone ever repowered one of these with a Champion 6 or ???
                              DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                              '37 Coupe Express
                              '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                              '61 Hawk

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X