This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First trip around the block

Stella made her first trip around the block today! She chugged and gurgled around about 5 times before we brought her back in. I received my carburetor rebuild kit in the mail today, so hopefully that will help take care of some of the choking she's going through (whenever I can take it apart).

We also had to jiggle the shifter (she's an automatic) to get Reverse to properly engage. I'm crossing my fingers that might kind of fix itself after driving her a bit.

Anyway, it's a bit blurry (my wife was handed someone else's camera), but here's a picture of me and my buddy gently taking a curve in Stella.

Did I mention I was excited?
    []

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")

Way to go STELLA looking good EMAN.[8D]

Comment

AHHH Nothing like the site of a Starlight Coupe going for a drive!
      Makes me want to get mine out but to dang cold for her here in Colorado.

Rick
      50 Champion
      60 Lark
      63 Hawk

Comment

I see that the image of Stella is pretty sharp, while the house in the background is all blurry. I expect the thundering exhaust of the mighty Stude 232 was shaking its very foundations.

Congrats on the maiden voyage, Eman!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Congratulations, EMAN!

Knowing a little of what you did to get Stella on the road, you must be very proud!!

The automatic in my '51 was a little reluctant when I first got it; in the short run, hold the shift lever down by resting your hand in the lever while it thinks about shifting.

Most likely, it's an external linkage problem; get yourself a transmission shop manual and follow instructions for ajusting the linkage and you'll get it running fine...

51 Commander State Sedan
          Butler PA

Comment

COOL DEAL, Eric! That tranny may well limber up after some miles.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Love it !!!

53commander HDTP
              53 Champion HDTP
              61 Cursed Purple Hawk
              64 Champ long bed V8
              64 GT
              64 Champ long bed V8
              55/53 Studebaker President S/R
              53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Poetry in motion!
                Tim K.
                Tim K.
                \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Thanks everyone. I had serious butterflies yesterday. Stuff was going through my mind like... did we get the brakes back on right, should i have replaced this or that, and what happens if I turn the corner and die going up the steep hill?!

And thanks for the linkage suggestion on the transmission, Commander51. The shift lever will stay in place fine, but she definitely has to sit and think about going into reverse. I have the original tranmission manual, so I'll try and read up on adjusting the linkage.

Comment

The "...sit and think about going into reverse." part makes me think that you have a pressure problem. It usually shows up in reverse first. Have you changed the transmission and torque convertor fluid? There is a separate drain for the torque convertor (where most of the fluid is). On DG200/250 transmissions, I normally change the fluid yearly.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

We didn't change the transmission fluid. It was up to the correct level on the dipstick and still looked good color-wise. Maybe that's where we'll start though.

Two transmission drain plugs (transmission and torque convertor), but just the one fill tube, right? (Stella is a V8 automatic with no overdrive.) I think Mr. Biggs mentioned you have to take the plate off the bottom of the bell housing and work the torque convertor around to find the second plug.

quote:Originally posted by studegary

The "...sit and think about going into reverse." part makes me think that you have a pressure problem. It usually shows up in reverse first. Have you changed the transmission and torque convertor fluid? There is a separate drain for the torque convertor (where most of the fluid is). On DG200/250 transmissions, I normally change the fluid yearly.

Comment

Yes, two drains and you have to take the cover plate off and rotate the convertor to find its drain plug.

Yes, only one filler. Check how much fluid that you put in as compared to the specification. It will take some runing and rechecking/refilling to get the torque convertor full and all of the air out of the system.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Wonderful car!! You mentioned that you had to "jiggle the shifter... to get reverse to properly engage." Have you checked the linkage? Studebakers have an adjustable linkage. A great improvement over most other makes in my humble opinion.

Lotsa Larks!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to adjust or check the linkage yet. I need to. But I went back over there tonight (she's at a coworker's house right now) and noticed a leak that might be coming from around the master cylinder. So I may have to tackle that as well. Guess it's a good thing I have one on the shelf.

Comment

Working...
                            X