X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garyash
    replied
    To put the conversation closer to the original topic, I wonder how much the dealers did to sell and install accessories like the day/night mirrors. I assume that these were fairly high-margin items for the dealers, and that the factory kept the dealers supplied with mirrors, radios, etc. Perhaps the fact that a fair amount of NOS items in original boxes survives to this day indicates the volume put into the dealer network. Maybe Dick Quinn could tell us the proportion of cars built for general stock versus specific customer orders where a list of options were factory-installed.

I'm guessing that the factory built the cars and trucks for stock with the minimum of additional accessories and let the dealers add on what a customer wanted. That may be in contrast to the current practice of dealers getting loaded-up cars and telling buyers that the inexpensive version they came in for is just not available. But, it may have been common for cars and trucks to leave the dealership with a lot more than is indicated on the Studebaker build records.

I checked the old price list for the options. A base M5 sold for $1107 in November, 1947. Overdrive added $98, radio was $97, so these were pricey for a farmer. I think the mirror was about $7. Other items were pretty cheap:
    Deluxe hood ornament $4.75
    Chrome rear bumper $12.15
    Hill Holder $12.85
    Dual horns $6.95
    Clock $11.00
    Fog lights $11.65
    Stainless trim rings $2.07 each
    Caravan top $69.32 (sold only by dealers after 9/23/46)

So, if you wanted to throw $100 at dressing up your new truck, it would have bought a good mix of options in 1947. Of course, the average salary in 1947 was about $2700. For someone who bought a case of clocks in 1947 and stored them away for 58 years to sell them on Ebay today, the rate-of-return would be greater than 6% per year. I've seen NOS clocks go for more than $400 on Ebay.

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    www.studegarage.com

Leave a comment:

• Transtar56
    replied
    I didn't mean for a minute that your truck was in good shape when you got it, Ive followed its fine restoration over the years and remeber seeing the early pics. What I meant was its well "dressed".
    Boy,18 radios. But then back in the 1940's probaly not many farmers thought about listning to a radio in their truck.

Leave a comment:

• stude freak
    replied
    Great job Gary If your ever in Ms. I want a ride. you should be prouder than a a mom on mothers day with 16 kids.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Beautifully overdone, Gary! Chris Coop is trying to do a 53 sedan with every option available that year. I hafta wonder what weight his sedan will show as opposed to "factory" curb weight for a '53![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Leave a comment:

• garyash
    replied
    My M5 was not a "cream puff" when I got it. It had sat for 14 years and you could see through the floors and bed. It had to be disassembled to the last nut and bolt and remanufactured.

However, six years of shopping at the Reedsville and York swap meets turned up a bunch of NOS items like a day/night mirror, hill holder, windshield washer bottle, and decent used items like a clock, radio, rear bumper, fog lights, overdrive transmission, bumper guards, etc. Some NOS stuff like turn signal lights came from Ebay. I guess I could be accused of having an "over dressed" truck. As Dick Quinn's M5 article in Antique Studebaker Review said, of the 4,685 pre-WWII M5 trucks, only 100 had rear bumpers, 18 had radios, 3 of them had clocks, and only 1 had a hill holder when they came from the factory. However, many of these items add safety, comfort, practicality - and fun - on a vehicle never designed to cruise the Interstates. My motto: "Any thing worth doing is worth overdoing!"

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    www.studegarage.com

Leave a comment:

• Transtar56
    replied
    Wow Gary, your M series must have been a real "cream puff". Most of them only came with a drivers side sun visor and arm rest(I think?)
    Id say a M series truck with a day/night mirror was "loaded".

Leave a comment:

• jimmijim8
    replied
    I have an original day night mirror on my 63 GT. It is definitely factory equipment. It is the exact same size as the non day night mirror. jimmijim

Leave a comment:

• GTtim
    replied
    The late model day/night mirror that Studebaker used is identical to the one AMC used in the same period, except the mounting stem is different. Apparently these mirrors were made of special steel that rusts with the least exposure to moisture as all that I have seen in salvage yards are rusted completely. I sure would like to find a good one, but there are very few out there. I have one of the earlier style if anyone wants to trade.
    Tim K.

Leave a comment:

• garyash
    replied
    A glare-proof mirror was available as an accessory on M trucks after the war, maybe even earlier on some cars, probably on '41 cars. I have one in my '48 M5 truck.

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    www.studegarage.com

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    I have one for a '53 and it's still in working order![8D]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    My 1966 Cruiser has one, which was one reason why I figured the car was worth the $100 my father paid for it (don't ask me how many hundreds and hundreds I've poured into the car since!). It works great and is the only one I've seen, although I know from literature that it is the correct factory item.

Leave a comment:

• kmul221
    replied
    I had one on a 51 Champ.convert. that I once owned & it was a factory option because the AC # was listed in on of the manuals.I believe Studebaker had a odd name for it(ie Glare Proof or Glare Stat)
    That car was 20yrs ago & memory fades

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    The day/night mirror, with the little toggle that switched it back and forth, was available as an option as early as 53, perhaps earlier. None of my cars had it through 1963 but, I did have the glass company replace the standard mirror glass with anti-glare mirror; not as effective but helpful.

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    There was a NOS one for ' 55 , ' 56 at a table right beside the stairway that the gentleman wanted $100 for . I ment to write the AC # down for my buddy who is looking for one for his '58 but i forgot

Leave a comment:

• Dan White
    replied
    Not so fast. When I go to a show I want to stay as long as possible so everyone can see my Stude so it sometimes is necessary to drive home in the dark.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT

Leave a comment:

Working...
X