Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great job Gary If your ever in Ms. I want a ride. you should be prouder than a a mom on mothers day with 16 kids.

Comment

I didn't mean for a minute that your truck was in good shape when you got it, Ive followed its fine restoration over the years and remeber seeing the early pics. What I meant was its well "dressed".
      Boy,18 radios. But then back in the 1940's probaly not many farmers thought about listning to a radio in their truck.

Comment

To put the conversation closer to the original topic, I wonder how much the dealers did to sell and install accessories like the day/night mirrors. I assume that these were fairly high-margin items for the dealers, and that the factory kept the dealers supplied with mirrors, radios, etc. Perhaps the fact that a fair amount of NOS items in original boxes survives to this day indicates the volume put into the dealer network. Maybe Dick Quinn could tell us the proportion of cars built for general stock versus specific customer orders where a list of options were factory-installed.

I'm guessing that the factory built the cars and trucks for stock with the minimum of additional accessories and let the dealers add on what a customer wanted. That may be in contrast to the current practice of dealers getting loaded-up cars and telling buyers that the inexpensive version they came in for is just not available. But, it may have been common for cars and trucks to leave the dealership with a lot more than is indicated on the Studebaker build records.

I checked the old price list for the options. A base M5 sold for $1107 in November, 1947. Overdrive added $98, radio was $97, so these were pricey for a farmer. I think the mirror was about $7. Other items were pretty cheap:
        Deluxe hood ornament $4.75
        Chrome rear bumper $12.15
        Hill Holder $12.85
        Dual horns $6.95
        Clock $11.00
        Fog lights $11.65
        Stainless trim rings $2.07 each
        Caravan top $69.32 (sold only by dealers after 9/23/46)

So, if you wanted to throw $100 at dressing up your new truck, it would have bought a good mix of options in 1947. Of course, the average salary in 1947 was about $2700. For someone who bought a case of clocks in 1947 and stored them away for 58 years to sell them on Ebay today, the rate-of-return would be greater than 6% per year. I've seen NOS clocks go for more than $400 on Ebay.

Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, MA
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        www.studegarage.com
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander