X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update those Webpages and Constructive Advice

Hello
    Just a little constructive criticism, there are a good number of
    individual and Chapter webpages that haven't had any freshening in a couple of years.

If the newest features are a couple of years old, likely everyone who wants to has visited your website and is now bored with the old stuff found there.

Past a couple of years, no one much is interested in pictures of the meets from before '03.

If you have a classified section, advertisements over a year old are pointless. It is frustrating and a bother to everyone who responses.

Someone in the Chapter needs to check to see if the links still work and are valid, a surprising number have changed and are dead ends. A equal number have no webmaster to notify that the connection is dead.

Photographs: if the hood is open, photos of it from the front just make it look as if the car is preparing to devour the photographer. PLEASE ask the owners to shut the hood for a photograph. If the engine compartment is particularly nice, take another photo up close, showing enough fender regions to tell to which car it belongs. And vary the angles of view, all uniformly photographed cars in a set are just boring and are a disservice to the handsome designs presented.

Webpage connection to photos: please set up the page to create thumb-nail leads to the larger photos of member's cars Those pages with endless loading of all the photos full size are frustrating at best, especially when they are on a slow server.

Free Servers: Junk 'em and avoid 'em. You know the ones, slow and loaded with pop-up ads every few seconds. When those pop-ups start, we leave, no one looks at the page. If the chapter can't afford a good server, wait until they can, or use one offer by Hemmings.

Please take this advice in the good spirit intended; to create more interesting and vibrant sources for Studebaker information on the web.

Thanks
    Steve

Good advice, Steve. I had to chuckle when I read your point about the car ready to devour the photographer!

While I understand that everyone is so proud of what's under the hood and how sanitary it might be, it IRKS me that you go to a Stude meet and only see a bunch of shiny machines posed as tho they'd broken down on the side of the road!
    Imagine Bourke, Dohler, McRae, Koto or Loewy sculpting a clay proposal so that it inspired the board members with it's hood up!!![:0][xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

When I see a row of cars with the hoods up, at a car show, on a car lot or in pictures, I think of "feeding time at the zoo." I do know of car shows where you are not allowed to leave your hood open. You can open your hood to have the engine compartment judged, to briefly show someone something or if you are having a problem that you have to work on before leaving. I hadn't thought of the "broke down" look, but I think that cars look much nicer and more natural with their hoods closed.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Photographs: if the hood is open, photos of it from the front just make it look as if the car is preparing to devour the photographer. PLEASE ask the owners to shut the hood for a photograph. If the engine compartment is particularly nice, take another photo up close, showing enough fender regions to tell to which car it belongs. And vary the angles of view, all uniformly photographed cars in a set are just boring and are a disservice to the handsome designs presented.

Here's another thought about leaving your hood open - many magazine and newspaper photographers covering the event won't photograph your car with the hood open except to feature the underhood goodies.
        I realize many SDC'rs at Zone Meets simply open the hood for judging, and then mingle socially, but if they attend other car shows someone should stay with the car to open it for the judge.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Photographs: if the hood is open, photos of it from the front just make it look as if the car is preparing to devour the photographer. PLEASE ask the owners to shut the hood for a photograph.
          And never leave your tailgate down after you are finished dumping something out the back.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon
          Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Great pointers...
            At shows I regularly open the hood, and then shut the hood...
            If I see a guy with a camera shooting a pic, or prepping to shoot a pic, I ask him if he wants the hood down (or up)..
            Just the act of asking gets a few extra pic's in the guys camera...
            Sometimes just going over to ask the photographer will clear the crowd away enough to allow some decent pic's...
            I can't tell you how many times I have stood by a car/truck with the camera at the ready waiting for the one looker to vacate the shot... I never make a comment, nor give 'the look' to the onooker, as he may have no clue that I am waiting to shoot a pic. A lot of times his/her wife/girlfriend/boyfriend will see the impatient photographer and shoo him/her on their way... Then a quick 'thanks' look is in order...
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 56H-Y6

Hello
            Just a little constructive criticism, there are a good number of
            individual and Chapter webpages that haven't had any freshening in a couple of years.

If the newest features are a couple of years old, likely everyone who wants to has visited your website and is now bored with the old stuff found there.

Past a couple of years, no one much is interested in pictures of the meets from before '03.

If you have a classified section, advertisements over a year old are pointless. It is frustrating and a bother to everyone who responses.

Someone in the Chapter needs to check to see if the links still work and are valid, a surprising number have changed and are dead ends. A equal number have no webmaster to notify that the connection is dead.

Webpage connection to photos: please set up the page to create thumb-nail leads to the larger photos of member's cars Those pages with endless loading of all the photos full size are frustrating at best, especially when they are on a slow server.

Free Servers: Junk 'em and avoid 'em. You know the ones, slow and loaded with pop-up ads every few seconds. When those pop-ups start, we leave, no one looks at the page. If the chapter can't afford a good server, wait until they can, or use one offer by Hemmings.

Please take this advice in the good spirit intended; to create more interesting and vibrant sources for Studebaker information on the web.

Thanks
            Steve
            DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
            '37 Coupe Express
            '37 Coupe Express Trailer
            '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

if any of the chapters or individuals would like some advice on updating their websites or assisting in their operation drop me an email. i have been the internet director for a fair size dealership the past few years and would not mind assisting. Ric rbjsm@charter.net

Comment

Working...
              X