This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a Rambler

I know this has been discussed before, but why is it that the general public think Studebaker's are Rambler's? I know my cars pretty darn well, and I can't think of one Rambler that resembles a Studebaker, or vice versa.

Yesterday, I took my Cruiser to a muffler shop to have them check on a rattling noise. The car was on the rack and the mechanic said "yeah, we don't see many of these old Rambler's anymore". Yeah, I'll bet...that's because it's a STUDEBAKER!

Then last night I pulled into McDonald's and walked inside. I barely made it through the door when some guy from the back of the restaurant hollered out "hey buddy, what year is that Rambler?"

It happens all the time. The only OTHER model it's been mistaken for was a Nova. I don't even see that resemblance.

Sorry I'm "rambling", but it AIN'T A RAMBLER! Does this only happen to those of us who drive Lark types?

The Rambler American was a bit "Lark like", and I think that's were it comes from.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 GT Hawk
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    53 Street rod
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Maybe its becasue they both end in -------er
      Rambler
      Studebaker

LadySilverHawk
      55 President, BUGSPRT
      58 Silver Hawk, DRGNHWK
      62 Champ Longbox - OldAndInTheWay

Comment

I think JDP's right,there is some superficial resemblance. But many of the non-car people public see your car,they know it didn't come from a big three factory, and the first thing that comes to mind are Ramblers.
        My Father once owned a 59 or 60 Rambler staion wagon that had a smallish flathead six and three on the tree. It sure was a slug but the body seemed to hold up to our harsh winters and salty roads better than most. The reason I remember it so well is that was the time(about the late 60's) that my Mom got her drivers license with the Rambler. When the instrutor asked her to stop on a hill and then pull away she stalled the engine.The instructor happened to know what a pig these cars were to drive as he had one too,so he gave her the license anyway and said "anyone who can drive that car HAS to be a good driver"
        A few months ago I was perusing E-Bay and came across a 59 Rambler wagon with the six and 3-speed, no other options save the heater.
        I sent the ad to Mom and asked her if she'd like to have her old car back, she said "Just leave that thing where it is"

Comment

IMHO, the styling of '64-'66 Lark types is similar to '63-'64 Ramblers and '60s Chevy IIs. Of course, I don't see how they can be confused, but many non-car people confuse cars that are not even as similar in style as these are.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I don't see any resemblance, so I don't really think that has anything to do with it.

Here's a 63 Rambler American (62's were similar):

Here's a 64:

Here's a 65:

How about a 66:

My 65:

I guess because I'm a car guy, I don't see how people mistake these for Ramblers unless the resemblance is they have 4 wheels

Comment

Even though those AMC's are not to bad looking, they sure come off as butt ugly next to your Stude.
              But thats just my tinted glasses(G)

Comment

Back somehwere in the 60's I rember telling my dad who was looking for my first wheels,. "Oh, Dad ANNNYYTTHING but a Rraaammbler!"

LadySilverHawk
                55 President, BUGSPRT
                58 Silver Hawk, DRGNHWK
                62 Champ Longbox - OldAndInTheWay

Comment

Back in '68 when my brother had a '62 Rambler Ambassasor, he picked up a guy he recognized who was hitchhiking. As they travelled down the road, the guy remarked "This is a pretty nice Lark".

I forgot all about this story until the subject came up on the thread.

Why does it happen? I don't know. Maybe it's because most "Big 3" car people lump all the smaller companies together, in their minds.

Comment

I've heard our 60 LArk referred to, numerous times, as a Rambler.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Maybe they're lumping the orphans together and Rambler just comes to mind.

Hey, next time I see an Oldsmobile or Plymouth, maybe I should say "nice Rambler"

[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Blue 15G

Why does it happen? I don't know. Maybe it's because most "Big 3" car people lump all the smaller companies together, in their minds.

Comment

I've never heard anyone call my Lark a Rambler. I have, however, heard people say that my Lark is a foreign car, probably German. A guy, trying to impress his girlfriend, said that to her.
                        Another thing we have to remember is that a major part of our population never even heard of Studebaker. So it's imperative for us to get out there with our Studes and educate our public.
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I remember the first time I told my late Mother that I bought a Studebaker. It was a 1964 Cruiser. Her reply: "You never could tell if those cars were coming or going!"

A few years ago at the national meet in Madison a guy with a 1960 or 1961 Lark had a license plate on the front that said "This is NOT a Rambler!" I suppose the 1963-1964 Rambler Classics and Ambassadors and 1964-1965 Lark-types sorta kinda look similar but then again...not really! I drove a 1964 Classic 660 as my every day car a few years ago and certainly felt my 1964 Cruiser was the better car, but I do like AMC products and have owned a few.

Studedude1961
                          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

I think Rambler was the first American made unibody and I know they were the first with curved sideglass in the doors, greatly increasing interior space. They were a well made car but never had a great parts distribution service.

I still prefer my Studebakers but, when I see someone driving a well maintained Rambler, I do consider that person a kindred spirit.
                            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

The "curved side glass" story is interesting. When AMC redesigned their large Ramblers (Classics and Ambassadors) for 1963 there was a terrible argument both for and against curved side glass. Finally Edmund Anderson, head of styling, won. The basic 1963 body design was supposed to last AMC until 1969. Anderson's argument was most Big 3 auto makers would have curved glass by the mid-to-later 1960s so Rambler had better design that feature in now, in 1963, to meet the competition as the 1960s wore on. This is noteworthy because in the very early 1960s the only other car besides Rambler with curved side glass was Lincoln. During the Romney-Anderson years AMC and Rambler were very far-thinking. George Romney knew that AMC could not keep up with the Big 3 by restyling Ramblers every 3 or 4 years so he had to look ahead to future trends. After Romney went into politics and became governor of Michigan AMC under Roy Abernethy hit the skids. Like some in Studebaker management, Abernethy could only see a few years in the future. Interesting to note old Roy was a former Packard executive....

Ramblers, like Studebakers, were great cars. Hard times tarnished both names.

Studedude1961
                              --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X