Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studegary
    replied
    Thanks for the reply, Bob/MrBiggs. I can certainly understand the situation. I have seen it happen often with sedans, but not so common with coupes, even though I remember parting out one of my '53 Commander Starliners (with GH engine) that I couldn't get anyone to take for $100 (pre-eBay). A lot of parts did go on to other Studebakers. That cowl section might be good for someone that wants to build a fiberglass bodied replica coupe.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Thanks for the reply, Bob/MrBiggs. I can certainly understand the situation. I have seen it happen often with sedans, but not so common with coupes, even though I remember parting out one of my '53 Commander Starliners (with GH engine) that I couldn't get anyone to take for $100 (pre-eBay). A lot of parts did go on to other Studebakers. That cowl section might be good for someone that wants to build a fiberglass bodied replica coupe.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Good question, Gary! I actually tried to find the car a home (someone to adopt it and bring it back to life) once I got it home and saw how solid it was. Honestly, a couple hundred bucks would've bought it. No takers - and I DID try.
    Overall, it looked shabby, but just look at that inner body panel where the photo reveals the rear fender was removed. That original, zinc chromate primer was intact all the way down to the bottom of that inner panel! The car had spent most of it's useful life in New Mexico and it showed it!
    Here's the thing tho.... I managed to sell almost EVERY piece of sheet metal off that car so that other Studes could live. Even the floor panels and the pillars found new lives elsewhere. The floors made it all the way to South Carolina. A rear fender now visits Bonneville every season. The deck lid went to another 55 at the '02 meet in SB, and so on and so forth.[^] In fact, it wasn't but a month ago that the dash went to a guy building a cusstom '55 locally.
    I've got only the firewall section left out back. That and a few things like the E-brake parts, the grille (which I'm saving for now) and myriad bit of hardware and trim that I've lost track of in all my piles of stuff! I doubt that firewall will ever go anyplace but the scrapper but you never know.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Good question, Gary! I actually tried to find the car a home (someone to adopt it and bring it back to life) once I got it home and saw how solid it was. Honestly, a couple hundred bucks would've bought it. No takers - and I DID try.
    Overall, it looked shabby, but just look at that inner body panel where the photo reveals the rear fender was removed. That original, zinc chromate primer was intact all the way down to the bottom of that inner panel! The car had spent most of it's useful life in New Mexico and it showed it!
    Here's the thing tho.... I managed to sell almost EVERY piece of sheet metal off that car so that other Studes could live. Even the floor panels and the pillars found new lives elsewhere. The floors made it all the way to South Carolina. A rear fender now visits Bonneville every season. The deck lid went to another 55 at the '02 meet in SB, and so on and so forth.[^] In fact, it wasn't but a month ago that the dash went to a guy building a cusstom '55 locally.
    I've got only the firewall section left out back. That and a few things like the E-brake parts, the grille (which I'm saving for now) and myriad bit of hardware and trim that I've lost track of in all my piles of stuff! I doubt that firewall will ever go anyplace but the scrapper but you never know.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Why was that coupe parted out? It certainly doesn't appear to have much rust, maybe as much as a two year old rust belt Studebaker.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Why was that coupe parted out? It certainly doesn't appear to have much rust, maybe as much as a two year old rust belt Studebaker.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    Nice tie-in at the end. Good pace as well. Though a little bit of blatent name dropping was decernable. Fun story all round.

You know, I noticed the other day that Frumpy has a trailer hitch frame under her rear. I wonder what stories she could tell about family outings and campouts?

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    Nice tie-in at the end. Good pace as well. Though a little bit of blatent name dropping was decernable. Fun story all round.

You know, I noticed the other day that Frumpy has a trailer hitch frame under her rear. I wonder what stories she could tell about family outings and campouts?

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

Leave a comment:

• Karl
    replied
    WELL DONE...

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
    64 Avanti R3w/NOS
    88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Leave a comment:

• Karl
    replied
    WELL DONE...

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
    64 Avanti R3w/NOS
    88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Leave a comment:

• 41 Frank
    replied
    Wow Biggs you missed your calling, you should have been wrting novels all this time. Nice touch.

Frank J.van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod

Leave a comment:

• 41 Frank
    replied
    Wow Biggs you missed your calling, you should have been wrting novels all this time. Nice touch.

Frank J.van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Nice story Biggs... Keep 'em comin'! [8D][^]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, Georgia
    '59 Scotsman PU
    '63 Daytona HT