This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Windlace

Curious just how big a job it should be to install windlace in my 62 Champ. Stopped by an auto upholstery shop today and they quoted me $160 a door. Sound like a fair price if your not willing or able to do it yourself?

Its not really that hard if the headliner is out of it but its tough with it in. There are small tabs that pinch the windlace to hold it in place and these are hard to access with the headliner in place.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I think a couple of those tabs are also between the dash and the door pillar; not an insurmountable problem but, more properly done with the dash removed. Readers correct me if I'm wrong.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

It's a fairly easy thing to do with that headliner out of the way. And even at that, you could remove the HL along the roof edge by carefully unhooking it from the toothed strip that grips it.

$160 per door sounds steep to me. I can get whole seats covered for less than that!

The windlace costs about 2 or 3 bucks a foot locally (from an upholstery supply shop - not the auto upholstery shop!) and you have to have a tab of vinyl sewn to it's edge. Windlace like Studebaker and all used is no longer made with the wire & wicker tab that was a part of it. Now YOU have to have a tab put on it or you won't be able to get the little crimp fingers that hold it to do their job.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

On the advice of the Thoms brothers at Studebakers West, I used a strip of vinyl fender welt to make the ridge for some door windlace. I cut the wide, flat part down to about half its original width, then sewed it to the modern windlace, cut edge of the welt butted up to the round section of the windlace. A few years ago, I picked up a 40 year old Singer sewing machine at a yard sale for $10 for jobs like this. Even this light duty machine handled the task. The ridge on the welt locked in nicely to the the windlace clips. There are a couple of spots down low, however, that get kicked now and then, so I have put a couple of sheet metal screws and big washers through the windlace under the kick pads. It doesn't show and holds well.

Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, MA
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          www.studegarage.com
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander